Why??

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Anonymous, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

You all know the HiJackThis software..right? Well, I downloaded it over 4 months ago and used it maybe 2 times.......and I decided to delete it from my computer........I did....and now ever so often when I shut down and restart my computer I see the Folder on my desktop for HiJackThis.....WTF???? :?: :?

Why and how does HiJackThis keep coming back onto my computer after I have deleted it???? Please tell me!!! Thanks!!
    -Ducky

2. Romworks

Romworks Well-Known Member

Go to the control panel and add/remove programs. Check to see if there is anything there that might be associated. Also you might want to do a search on your PC for HiJackThis and see if it pu8lls up some folders. Sometimes just simply deleting something doesn't completely get rid of it.

I would then do a defrag of your hard drive and see how it does from there.

Randy

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Highjackthis is not in the "add/remove software" in the control panel. Thats because it does not load anything into the O/S files. Just go to Win Explorer and delete it. When you downloaded it and extracted the zip file it does not pick a location, you did, find that location and just delete the directory. Everything it loaded on your PC is in that directory. If you can't remember where you put it, right click the desktop icon and click properties, that's the directory in the top window.

When you loaded it you must have chosen the "auto start at boot" selection. That's why it keeps coming back. Go to your start-up programs and remove it from there. Then, right click on the desktop icon and choose delete. Reboot and bingo it's gone!!

4. Anonymous

How do I get to my Start-Up programs? :oops: Thanks!

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

What Operating System are you using????

6. Anonymous

I have Windows XP Home Edition

7. Anonymous

I still need help on the HiJackThis thing popping up on my desktop.....it popped up today.....I opened it up and it was empty.......so I deleted the folder again for the millionth(sp?) time.......please help me get it out of my system finally!!!!!! :D TIA!!

8. Anonymous

Kill my computer??? :shock: :lol: how much you charge to come out? Thanks.

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Ken does great work, and even gives out free LINUX boot discs. :lol:

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Cool! Like a prize in a cereal box. And I didn't even have to save UPC symbols and include $1.95 for S&H.

Thanks Mr. Ken!!

11. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay Ducky. I had to get my XP machince running again to look at what Hijackthis loads on XP. I don't run XPuke (alias "Software for Idiots") on my machine.

Here's the fix:
    Click the Start Button.
    Click on Run
    type: MSCONFIG

you will come to the config menu. It has tabs on the top. click the
    tab that says "Startup" and then uncheck the Programs that you don't want starting when XP starts. If you make a mistake, don't worry some of them are needed but they will replace themselves at startup.

12. Anonymous

I done that......and I don't see HiJackThis listed in my Startup...... :? what now? :(

13. jaloridon

jaloridon Well-Known Member

wonder if thats why its named HiJack??? Cause you can't get the joker off?

ahahahahahah!!! had to make myself laugh

see exit sign, grabbing knob, walking out
    :arrow:

14. Anonymous

hahaha!! I'm beginning to think the same thing!!! I search for HiJackThis on my puter and no show of files........but under the registry it shows many registry entries.........and the damn folder keeps popping up on my desktop........I'm really ill..... :evil: For you puter x-perts could the HiJackThis be hiding through a different name? :?: TIA!! :)

15. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I believe your at the point where you need someone to fix it for you. Ken is cheaper than me for "In Home" repairs but you can PM me if you'd like the prices.

My first guess would be you downloaded something other than Hijackthis disguised in a Google link for Hijack. Hijacked Google links for this one and Spybot and the one below are common.

My second guess is you had Hijack running from a temp file the first time you used it and it fouled things up when it created the backup in your registry.

This program will get rid of the registry entry for Hijack but it's dangerous software for the novice user.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/RegSeeker_d2579.html

I was loading Hijack with a customer of mine "by phone" and Win XPuke kept wanting to unzip the file to where it wanted to put it and not where I wanted it. XP puts it in a temp file thinking it's a self loading program. The resolution was to stop XP unzip and load the real thing WINZIP. That's the problem with XP, "I" tell the software what to do, not the other way around. :x :x That phone call was 1.5 hours, what a loss of profit that is.

Ken, I'm slowly coming over to the penguin, keep the light on!!!

16. Anonymous

ddran, I do believe it was as a temp file now I think about it......I will try the URL you listed above and see what I can do or not do..... :lol: thanks!

17. Anonymous

Ok ddran.....I downloaded the registryseeker from the URL you gave me........and now that download is in the HiJackThis folder on my desktop....... I'm :? ....why did it go there? And did I do it wrong? I'm ready to clean my PC out for good........that will get rid of it too right????
    TIA :D

18. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Sometimes the easiest solution is a fresh format.

19. Anonymous

So, if I decide to clean my PC back to factory settings and all then HiJackThis will be gone for good???

20. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Pop in your XP cd, format your partition, reload XP. Then youre basically starting all over. Save all of you documents etc you wish to keep. You'll also need to reload all of your programs. All of this can be done in a couple of hours, which isnt much considering the time you've spent trying to remove hijackthis.