Wild birds

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by elims, May 27, 2014.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Are there any birdwatchers on 4042.com? I've been obsessed this season ... watching to see how many different breeds (? I'm a dog person ... ) visit my backyard. Every time I see something new, it's so exciting! This is a brand new world to me. I love the cardinals, bluebirds, goldfinches .. woodpeckers .. hawks and owls and vultures .. hummingbirds ..

Have you seen or heard anything unique in your area or at your feeders?

2. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

I love it too. my favorite rare citing is the Indigo Bunting. Beatiful bird and I'm greatful to spot it if not just once a year.

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

A peregrine falcon buzzed the street once just above head height and a bald eagle from Jordan lake flew into the trees accross the road one afternoon.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

American Bald Eagle in Mt. Vernon Washington last week. Their nests are huge!

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I was watching the bald eagle hatchlings from Jordan Lake .. so sad that one died in the fall, the other had to be euthanized the other day due to its injuries. I was on a float trip on the Snake River in Wyoming one year and saw several in the wild ... incredible birds!

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

OK, I need to go look that one up!

A friend in Michigan has Baltimore Orioles in his yard .. I'd never seen a bird so bright ORANGE. I've read they winter from here - southward... I'm hoping to catch sight of one some day!

7. Wayne Stollings

There is an eagle's nest, which has been used for decades, at the entrance to Cape Canaveral. It looks like someone turned a VW bug upside down in the tree.

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Wow ... that'd be one big nest!! Just for fun, I did a web search for images on "eagle nest" .. some look so large, they make the birds look tiny. Very interesting!!

9. Wayne Stollings

One of the nests at Kennedy Space Center:

[​IMG]

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

It's amazing to think those nests have withstood multiple tropical storms and hurricanes, as well! I often wonder what happens to the birds during such storms.

11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

LOL.. as usual you were confused,, it was probably a buzzard not a Falcon.

I use to have a Falcon.

12. Wayne Stollings

Nah if it had been a buzzard it would have been hanging at your house .... patiently waiting for a meal. :jester:

Was your Falcon a 2 or 4 door?

13. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Ha.. you caught that.. lol

64 falcon sprint 2 dr w/ the 260 Windsor..

14. Wayne Stollings

I half expected it to be a Ranchero .....

15. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe I'll see one of those in my backyard!

16. Wayne Stollings

rusting and up on blocks would be the natural habitat for one now .... :mrgreen:

The big red tail that lives near my office was out hunting this morning. Huge bird.

17. sd214

sd214 Well-Known Member

One of the most unusual birds I have seen since moving to NC is a pileated woodpecker. They are quite striking looking. Large and brightly colored with a large triangular shaped head. They are an uncommon sight here.

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

There are at least two red-bellied woodpeckers nearby (I didn't realize how large they were til one came to my feeder), but don't remember seeing a pileated woodpecker. Will keep my eyes open for one!

I really need some field glasses/binoculars for birdwatching! I'd love to spot the barred owls I hear every night, and sometimes during the day. Love the hooting!

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  20. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We had the Baltimore Orioles at our feeders all winter long. Never saw one in the DC area where we lived and then one of the coldest winters on record here and we have them. Once the tress leafed out we didn't see them anymore. According to the two bird stores we frequent they are here all the time. There is another Oriole that's very similar but not nearly are bright.
    A few years ago we had Whipperwills calling at night, but haven't heard them for a couple of years now.