Willow Update

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by elims, Jun 1, 2006.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

If you have it in ya to pray for dogs, please add my white shepherd Willow to your prayers ... her platelet count is continuing to drop, the new medicine that the vet school was counting on isnt working, after weeks of testing for infectious diseases. She goes in for a bone marrow aspirate next week.

2. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

awwww good luck! :( :(

Thoughts and prayers! :)

3. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

{{{prayers for Willow}}}

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

{{{{ BIG HUGS from HG}}}}}}}

5. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Awww, poor Willow, she's been looking quite good too :(

I'll keep the big girl in my prayers.

Are you sticking close to home this weekend, or should I still plan on seeing them Sat and Sun?

Have you thought about talking to Bebe?

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Good luck with Willow, Elims. Thoughts and prayers, especially for our furry friends.

7. froggerplus

Elims~

How is Willow feeling today? Keeping her in our doggie prayers!!

Frogger

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

She's feeling ok, high spirited. Hard to tell there's anything wrong with her ... which makes it more worrisome that she could start 'spontaneously bleeding'. Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers!! This next week is going to be nerve-wracking until they do the bone marrow testing next Thursday, knowing every day her platelet count is dropping lower and lower. :(

9. le

le Well-Known Member

Sorry to read it. Best wishes to you both.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Poor Willow, will keep her in my "doggie prayers" too. Keep us up on how she does this week.

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Willow had her bone marrow testing done yesterday, and we got back her test results ... the good news is that everything there is working within normal expectations. No sign of cancers, bone marrow is being created and morphing as it should and spitting out those platelets in to the blood stream. That was a HUGE relief ... bone marrow is doing it's job. Thought for sure we'd find traces of a cancer somewhere in her system.

Bad news is, her immune system is attacking the platelets and trying to destroy them. Her body THINKS the platelets are a cancer.

She's going to be doing some drug therapy, starting next week ... for now, she has an e-coli urinary tract infection and we cant do anything to suppress her immune system until we clear up the infection, otherwise that'll be raging in her body.

BUT ... she's up to 90 pounds in weight, and still looking and acting high spirited for a 3-year old pup.

12. le

le Well-Known Member

Great news about the bone marrow. Wish you tons of luck with drug therapy. Hope your gal continues to be lively and spirited and clear this up asap! Best wishes.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Great news Elims, I'm sure it's a weight lifted for you!

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Elims, glad to hear the good news.

15. froggerplus

Elims, very glad to hear no cancer.

This situation sounds the same as in my DH :?: :!: . Wonder...

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Elims, so happy for you both - hope the drug therapy works well and quickly.

17. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Glad there is some good news for Willow!

Hopefully, the drug therapy will do what it's supposed to do and Willow will head down the road to a speedy recovery.

You and she could use a break from vets, oh for a good ten years! Except for the usual yearly exams, that is.

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Thanks, y'all! We'll see, it's not going to be easy ... nothing with Willow ever is, but she's worth it.

19. froggerplus

Ain't that the truth?! Let us know how the drug therapy is going!

20. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Willow started her new drug this past Thursday. She's drinking and panting a lot ... they say the drugs are hard on the liver. I'm a bit nervous, since she already has a urinary tract infection ... because the drugs have a chemo like effect, and suppress the immune system so strongly, I have to wear gloves when giving her the med or else it can get in to my system too.

It's getting confusing. One med, she has to take 30 mins before eating, twice a day. Then she has to take one with food, every 12 hours. Then she has to take a pill at LEAST one hour after that first med. Also one and a half pills (the chemo one) on a full stomach, once a day. And then her iron tablet. She just finished her 6th med, so she's just down to 5.