Winter 2011/2012 propane pricing discussion

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerHome, Oct 7, 2011.

1. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

I've got to figure out something different. We've been using Amerigas, but I am thinking of switching. Last week, Amerigas quoted a friend $4.88/gallon for a refill. :shock: On top of that, Amerigas's minimum fill before they will waive the tank rental fee went up last year. Can't see paying around $400 per year to keep what are basically decorative gas logs running.

Thought it might be helpful to start a thread that would gather all the current year's propane facts. If you have started calling around this year to find out what the going propane prices are, please post what propane company you are using, what they charge per gallon, and what your rental fee is.

We have thought about buying our own tank, but don't have a truck to take it in for refill ourselves. If we bought our own tank, are there companies that would come and fill it up (and what are their names)? Thanks

2. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I really only have a question to add. We've been paying the rental on our tank since we moved in 3 years ago, but have never had it filled because I'm not sure the gas log fireplace works right, or if it's just that the pilot light is out. Who can you call to come out and check these kinds of fireplaces?

3. Crockadoodledoo

Crockadoodledoo Well-Known Member

LP Gas

I just paid $2.39/gal to fill up a 100 gallon tank. I own my tank. The advantage of owning your tank is you can shop around for prices and will never have a rental fee or a fee for not using a required minimum amount. Whatever company you choose will come to your residence. You do not have to take the tank to them.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

PLUS - The price you get quoted and pay shoud be 10-15 cents cheaper than using their tank.

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Just noticed your avatar, Crock. Are you chokin' that chicken???? :lol:

6. GarnerHome

Who did you use?

7. Crockadoodledoo

Crockadoodledoo Well-Known Member

I used LR Propane located on Black Creek Road, Four Oaks. He also fills propane tanks for grills for $14.00. I do not know how far he travels as he is a small operation.

8. 27577

27577 Guest

bought my house 6 years ago. there is a tank beside the deck. forgot whose name is on it. i have not paid anything on it, rent or filling it while i have owned the house. its missing the regulator on the top.

9. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

I know that Stephenson Heating and Air has a Fireplace division. I'm sure they do maintenance and cleaning. Call em' at 329-0686.

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

http://southeastfireplace.com/index.html

This is the company that installed the fireplace in our new home. We called them once to come out and connect the gas line and check everything over when we moved in. They were professional and I would use them again if we had an issue.

11. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

The other day while I was at Hudson's Hardware in Clayton, I saw a sign and confirmed with the sales lady that if you bring in your own tank, a refill for a 100 gallon tank is $64.99. I know the original posted is asking about services that deliver, but I thought this might help for some other folks. I got rid of my tank a few years ago because I couldn't afford the rental fee and the refills for an ornamental gas log fireplace... However, I got a 100 gallon tank for Christmas two years ago, and it's been fantastic! I mean, $64.99! That's a good deal.

12. GarnerHome

100 gallon tank or a 100lb tank?

13. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I thought this sounded pretty good since I use the logs when the power is out and if it gets really really cold. It is not my primary source of heat. After reading about Hudson's yesterday I called to verify the amount and see how long this would be going on. I asked specifically if it is #'s or gals. It is #'s and it is ongoing. They also sell the tanks but I didn't think to ask how much they are.

14. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Has anyone used Central Propane out of Smithfield?

15. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Uh... oops. pounds, not gallons... :) Still a good deal, I think.

16. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

We've had Ethco, out of Kenly, for about ten years now. We rent one of the big, big cylinders (3' around? about $60/yr.). our last fill was 10/17/11 @ $2.39 a gallon (delivered) 16.9 gal. and totalled $43.29 after tax. We get the automatic refill which saves us a few bucks too, because they stop when they are in the neighborhood.
    We run the grill on it in the summer and use it for most of our heat via gas logs in the winter. I would really like to hook up a gas range indoors.

Edit; the phone number for Ethco, 919-284-2074.

Mrs. says they will clean the logs for about $60

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  17. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Just ordered a refill for mine - $3.74/gallon. Yikes!

18. KMD

KMD Guest

We currently have McCracken and we are looking to switch to someone else...I can not believe they are going to charge us an $85 removal fee...but here are the prices I called around and got so far for 120 gal tank..

Tr/lee gas = 2.85 gal, $100 setup fee - $50 rental fee - waived if use more then 150 gal

Mclamb gas = 2.80 gal, $145 setup fee - $75 rental fee - waived if use more then 250 gal

Ethco gas = 2.30 gal, no setup fee - $60 rental fee - waived if use more then 200 gal. (no tanks available until mid December)

I also asked how much McCracken is currently charging for gas and they told me $4.95 gal....so even with the $85 removal fee I think I am going to come out ahead.

Oh one more thing..... I looked up everyone with the better business burea, everyone was rated with an A except McCracken which was rated an F.

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Not sure where you're located, but did you check w/ Amerigas or Thompson Gas in Smithfield?

20. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

We switched to Ferrel Gas in Smithfield. We had McCracken.