Wireless Router Question

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by traveler, Sep 11, 2006.

1. traveler

traveler Well-Known Member

edited

2. traveler

traveler Well-Known Member

The main computer is hard wired to the linksys (no wireless card). OK will nice to know SSID and username not same - will keep trying, or just reset the dang thing.

Yes, I got your im, but went to the SPA this weekend, let me reread everything and I will get back w/ya! OK?

3. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Linksys routers normally have the administrator login set from the factory as:

Username [blank]
    Password: admin

So, if you go to 192.168.1.1 to reach the admin page of the router, that should get you in unless the default password was changed.

Just a note, if you CAN get in with that combination, the first thing you should do is change it! Leaving the default password leaves you open to being hacked very easily.

Also, once you change the password, the login sequence becomes:

Username: admin
    Password: [whatever you changed it to]

As a slight extra bit of security, once you have everything working, turn off the broadcast of the SSID.

4. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

I cant get my router to work at all. Have tried 2 different brands and nothing. Ah well.

5. Just One Guy

Just One Guy Well-Known Member

If you're using one of Time Warner's routers, it is almost certainly one just pulled from another account, so it probably will not have the default usernames on them. When the routers are pulled from accounts they are SUPPOSED to go back through the warehouse and reset but don't hold yer breath.

You can call cust service and ask for Tier 3, tell them you want to reset the username/password. All you have to do is give them your Mac ID and they can reset it remotely and give you the default id.