Wireless

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by pcroom, Apr 2, 2013.

1. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I'm a dummy when it comes to computers. I'm getting a new computer any day. What is the difference between a router I buy from Best Buy or Wal Mart and centurylink wireless. Centurylink is my server now. Another question. What kind of virus protection do I need? THANKS Pat Told you I was a dummy!

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

The Century 'modem/wireless router' unit is a rental. I think it's $5 per month? If you want wireless I suggest getting your ISP's (server) wired modem only and shop for a separate wireless router.

Tiger Direct has a 150Mbps one for $15

And a 300Mbps for $20

The double speed is worth the extra $5.

3. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

I agree with ddrdan get a modem from Centurylink, and if you need a router for wireless connections to a printer or your new computer buy a router to connect to the modem. as far as antivirus/firewall your new computer probably comes with a trial version of an antivirus/firewall. Personaly I like Trend Micro
    http://store.trendmicro.com/store?A...E&ClickID=an009s9arwlsk9vlo5yrr5vrnlr005aywrl
    I recently purchased a computer that had a subscription for McAfee installed. McAfee prevented me from loading an expensive program for some reason or another, so I removed McAfee from my computer and installed Trend Micro, loaded the program and have not had a problem since.

4. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

For the average joe at home, it's a complete waste of money to purchase an anti-virus and/or firewall package.

AVG offers a free anti-virus app, and COMODO's free firewall works great.

5. CAC

CAC Well-Known Member

There seems to always be something that turns up with "free" software. I once had AVG installed until I had a problem. If you want to go the COMODO route, why not just use the Windows Firewall. It is installed and just needs to be activated.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I would agree. Use the Windows firewall.

I've found the only free firewall that is a non-nag, non resource hog, that is worth anything is Privatefirewall 7.0. Concise no bells no whistles K.I.S.S. security software.