Wonder why

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by MommySAIDno, Feb 13, 2008.

1. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

my monitor is so...dimm at times?

Some days it acts normal and then other days (more and more) it's like, well...like someone turned down the brightness.

I've tried all the monitor button settings (no luck) and sometimes, I can turn it off and back on and it will come up clear. I've checked the connections too because if you bump the desk, it will get even more "dimm" and it will be darker in some places than others. When this happens, I have to kinda smack the monitor to get it to go back to being just the "regular" dimm:?:oops:

Anyone know what this might be?

2. david4042

david4042 Well-Known Member

Check the following:

1. the cable that connect to/from pc to monitor, make sure it is tied.
    2. check the display setting (Window XP, click start, control panel, display, setting), check to see if you have select the highest color setting. Also, check the Advance/monitor setting to see if you select the correct screen refresh rate (usually 65Hz to 76Hz).

At least check the above setting to see if this will resolve our issue,
    if not, you need to check your hardware setting to make sure monitor have the correct driver, or maybe your monitor is running its last leg....

HTH

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

If you have to smack the monitor to get it back right then you will be needing a new monitor before long. As more than likely either the tube or some of the components inside are starting to fail (usually a result of heat).

Craig

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Try turning it off and on many times. This will "degauss" the screen. Some monitors automatically degauss when they turn on. You have to leave it on for at least 1 minute between the off and on process. Your coil is probably week and this will help.

To explain: CRT' (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors have phosphorus behind the glass screen. A build up occurs on that surface. Degaussing will help.

If your monitor has OSD (On Screen Display) there might be a button for it on the front along with all the other adjustments. Or it will be a choice in the OSD menu. The Icon looks like a magnet or a lightning bolt. Use it a couple of times.

The reason smacking the screen helps is you are shaking the degaussing coil (looks like a long spring) that is wrapped around the tube, and it is causing a "short" degauss.

Also, do you have any electronics next to the screen? Speakers, or other devices, especially telephones. Their electromagnetic field can distort the CRT Process.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  5. MommySAIDno

Thanks again!

Thanks guys. I tried what ddrdan said (seemed the fastest so tried it first). It worked. I had to do it over again and turn monitor on/off about 3 times this morning, but it still got me a bright monitor again.

I'll say it again...you guys ROCK
    :hurray::hurray::hurray:

6. MommySAIDno

:banghead:

Okay, it DID work, sometimes. I checked all the connections etc too. I moved the phone away from the monitor (didn't know that would couse trouble and it was inches from it - now it is about 2' away - hope that is enough).

Degaussing and turning it on and off will work at times, but not today, I've tried over and over - no luck:x

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Time to invest in a new flat panel.

Craig

8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

The telephone is the worst thing to have close to a CRT screen.

If you want another CRT, post what size (15" or 17") or PM me. I have a few I will give away. Give me the size and I'll check them out for the best one.

9. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

If you want an old color monitor, I have one for free. Not a flat panel one. No documentation. Works fine. have no need for it and don't want to add to landfill.