Worth it or not?

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by GremlinsNmyPC, Jul 23, 2009.

1. GremlinsNmyPC

GremlinsNmyPC Active Member

I just bought a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy. They said that the Geek Squad could run a couple of tools to clean off all the junk trial stuff that can cause spam and that they could also create a system restore disk for me for an additional $69.99.

We were trying to keep in a tight budget so I opted not to have them do this thinking it's stuff I can do myself. The guy told me that I could "maybe" create my own system restore disk but it could be hard and might have to be in safe mode, etc. Also, he said I could delete the "junk" stuff myself but that their "tool" would get it better.

So, did I make a mistake not getting them to do this or did I simply save myself $ that would have been a waste? I have not hooked up to the internet yet thinking I should clean it up and make the restore disk(s) before I do.

2. snowdio

snowdio Well-Known Member

You did the right thing !!!
    Stay away from Geek Squad. There have been a lot of complaints about them. Also they are overpriced and they hire a lot of people that don't have enough experience with computer support.

If you didn't receive an original Windows CD then it is very important to make a set of system restore disks because if anything ever happened and you had to install software you'd be stuck. Also all of the drivers for your hardware would be on the system restore disks.

As far as them having a better "tool", don't believe them for a minute. That is strictly a marketing ploy by them.

You can simply uninstall any unwanted programs through "Add or remove programs". Also free programs such as ccleaner will get rid of junk files.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

sorry but i have to disagree with you. Actually the majority of the people on the geek squad are very qualified and they happen to know about all the different computers they carry, i would take their word any day when it comes to what is best. And you are a computer expert how? Is that your line of business?

4. GremlinsNmyPC

Did you hear that....it was my BIG sigh of releif.

Thanks Snowdio, that makes me feel so much better. I'm going to attempt to make my system restore disks right away.

5. GremlinsNmyPC

Darn Kaci, now you're bringin' me down :lol:

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

well i happen to know a few of the Geeks and i would trust them with my computer any day a lot more than someone posting what they think on a message board.

Did you get it today and which store?

7. snowdio

Actually Kaci I've been in computer engineering for over 15 yrs including technical support for internet, networking, repair, and more. You can do your own independent research for complaints about Geek Squad including copying customer's personal pictures and documents while working on their computers.
    Also my sister works at Best Buy and has the inside scoop about Geek Squad. She is friends with them but would NEVER take her own computer there.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i still stand by my comments and i am sure you can find just as many complaints about any technical support group - i have yet to find one for computers that you call on the help line that knows half what i have learned from the Squad. And i wonder what your sister who works at Best Buy would know about the Geek Squad as they are an entirely different and separate department from the rest of the store.

9. snowdio

Kaci,
    You are entitled to your own opinion and I don't take it personal but I'll go toe to toe with anyone at Geek Squad any day.
    My credentials speak for themselves. I'm a high level engineer for a huge major corporation and even had my own computer repair business before I relocated to the area. What is your background in IT?

Here are news stories about your buddies at Geek Squad

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/news2.asp?ID=12
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geeksquad-best-buy,news-28112.html

I guess the lawsuit they have for questionable practices is just my opinion too

Again I respect your opinion, just trying to lay out some facts

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

good grief, i seriously do not have time to research every single other computer techs out there to do comparisons and my experience is as a consumer and that is actually what matters more than anything else. If you are an engineer for some company then i am sure you feel like you are an expert on what your company services and from looking over your posts you seem to think you are an expert at a lot - i stand by my words and not getting into some ****in match with someone i have no idea who they are or if they are what they say they are.

11. snowdio

It doesn't matter if Geek Squad is separate from Best Buy. She is personal friends with a lot of the guys that work there. Co-workes talk to each other. She hears what goes on behind closed doors, that's all that I can tell you.
    I have nothing to gain by telling someone on the board to save their money and not waste it. I'm just trying to help out fellow 40/42'ers on here. If you know more about computers then me and want to tell someone to waste $69 then go for it. I won't lose sleep about it. I was just trying to help someone out based on years of experience. Nothing more, nothing less

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

we will agree to disagree on this one but for the record i know them personally and their education and experience, not second hand from a cashier who thinks she hears what goes on behind closed doors.

13. snowdio

I'm not sure why you seem to be having a personal attack towards me. With the exception of some computer related posts, when did I ever say I was an expert on A LOT of things. I've only made 53 posts since I've been on here. That's not that many posts. You have over 11,000 posts, you must think you are an expert on a lot of things too.
    I don't really want to make this a fighting match and as I've said before, everyone has the right to their own opinion, so I'll just leave it as that.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

sorry, didn't mean to sound like i was attacking but i guess your comments felt like you were attacking people i am close to - it's all good, have a great evening:cheers:

15. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

There is a good reason to not use the Geek Squad, they are overpriced.

I'll give you a recent & prime example. Owner bought a laptop from Best Buy. 8 months after purchase they broke the LCD screen. They took it to the Geek Squad for a price. They quoted $632.00. They came to me and I openly showed the cost price for the new LCD ($137.00) and my price for remove and replace. (2.3 hours = $100.00) I had the screen overnighted and it was back in their hands the next day. Geek Squad said 7 to 10 days.

$237.00 verses $632.00 ..... 7 days verses 1.5 days ..... you do the math on why you should go to the Geek Squad.

16. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Isn't that great?? They are charging you to remove BS software that's on a new computer they are selling to you?

Creating a recovery disk is done in full mode. So that was a lie about safe mode. That ads equal credibility to anything else he told you.

What "tool" (I know he meant software) would he need on a brand new PC other than Windows Uninstaller? If the demo was never run it all comes out in uninstaller. Another lie.

I would have told him, "It's not still 2007, gouging is gone, and your going to have to lie better than that to get my business."

You did great. Making the Recovery Disk right away is a very smart move. Use a DVD not CD's. Also make a "Restore Point". Their both easy processes and any time you need help just click Start and then Help. Type the entire question you have and 9 times out of 10 it's going to walk you thru the process.

17. GremlinsNmyPC

OH MY! WOW!

Okay, okay....
    Kaci and Snowdio...group hug:grouphug:
    I didn't mean to start a fued. Snowdio, I don't know you (as in...not much history on the board....but I DID really appreciate your post and I am finding some of your insights to be true.) Kaci...I DO have a history of posts with you (remember...I used to be MommieSAIDno until my computer got gremlins) so...I respect your opinion :grouphug:.

I suspect that you made a good move Kaci when you moved to :cheers:
    I think you both have insights which have been helpful to me, THANK YOU BOTH. This is why I came to my friends at 4042.com. You guys are great. Thank you, whole heartedly, for your input. Please don't let my questions be a reason to have strife and hard feelings. Even though this is "just a board", the things we say here DO have a personal impact on each other. I think both of you are really wanting to be helpful and I SO appreciate that.

And then...QUE....my old friend ( again...remember...I used to be MommieSAIDno..ya know...the blonde computer idiot :mrgreen: )...ddrdan.
    I stood in Best Buy today ddrdan, and talked with my H on the phone contimplating the decision. I'll admit, I sort of wanted to take the "easy way" out when the BB guy said what he did about safe mode and spyware, etc. He said that even if I removed stuff, the BB GS could get it out of the "kernals" (WTH is that:? ) and I could not. It worried me and I wondered how much time and effort it would take ME.

But...the $69 was the deal breaker and my H seemed to have the sense that it could be avoided. It scared me a bit....until...I thought of 4042.com and the great PC guys here who have helped me out of SO MANY PC problems. I KNEW that I could by the laptop, come home, post here, and know if I had done the right thing or not.

ddrdan, you have helped me SO MANY times before... I hope God blesses you for the wonderful spirit you display by offering you advice here (that goes for you too snowdio and all the others who help on PC desk). You may not think it's a big deal...but to those of us who need the advice and simply can't afford fees, it is such a blessing.

UPDATE...So... I have now made a complete set of system restore disks with NO problems at all. BTW ddrdan, I started out trying to use CD-r and it would not let me, requested the DVD type. I had H get some DVD-R on the way home and they worked fine. Now what was that next thing you said I should do? Make a "restore point"...HOW?? The system restore was right there on the screen when I plugged it in (and in the store)...that was a no brainer (even though when I pointed it out to the BB sales guy...he suggested that it may have been added in on the floor model by accident - not knocking the sales folks at BB...he DID give me some good advice and I know he has a job to do.)

Also, how do I know which programs I should remove/uninstall before I hook to the web? That stuff scares the socks off of me because I'm always afraid I'll remove a vital thing. Any advice on getting a great start with my new laptop?? I am SO excited as this is going to help me SO much with schooling the kids and scheduling for our family of 6.

THANKS GUYS!!!

18. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

love ya ddrdan but for us computer illiterate who don't have connections like you to take care of stuff, i still appreciate the knowledge and experience they offer, they do not push you to do anything but as with any retail business they do have to make all the options available. Having someone do things on the side is usually always cheaper but a warranty and guarantee of the work is worth something too:grouphug: (learned that the hard way)

19. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

You're always welcome. What goes around comes around in helping others.

It probably came with Norton Antivirus. Get that up and running first. I hate that program, but as a novice you would have problems removing it and installing what most geeks would recommend.

To be honest, most people can live with the software that's loaded on a new PC. Use the unit for a month, look at the programs that are loaded on it. After the month, start evaluating the ones you haven't used or don't plan on using. Make your choice for deletion then.

To decide on what a program is, without starting it, google the program name and read the descriptions on the web first.

If it's a demo version and you know you are not going to pay for it when it's over, don't use it to start with. They count on your using it, liking it, and ignoring your budget to buy it after you're liking it. I've addressed keeping the kids away from the demo's below.

Microsoft Office is almost a must have although Open Office is very very close in quality and it's free. If you have the money, buy an older version of MS Office off of Craigs list. (Don't buy older than 2003). For now, use the MS Office 60 day demo. It will totally uninstall after you're done with the demo.
    Note: if you buy the MS office, other than thru the demo, uninstall the demo before installing the bought one. You'll want the "Student" version, it's way cheaper.

If you need help on uninstalling click 'Start' then 'Help & Support' In the 'Search Help' window type 'Uninstall a program'. That search window is your direct help line anytime you need help. Type a whole question in the box if you want. The answer is there 99% of the time, you just have to keep rephrasing the question sometimes. Searching for the answer you need will cause you to learn things you weren't searching for.

Do yourself a favor. With 6 people wanting access to that PC you'll want to set up user accounts and remove their abillity to 'install'. You be the administrator with the only access to install. In the help search box type "setting user accounts" the first item in the list is "DEMO". Read it 3 times and then do it:lol: That's the rule for all help questions.

Once you've set up the users, remove access to all the demo programs or programs you (the "Administrator") want but you don't want the kids to have. The search help box ... again :lol:.... type "Prevent children from using specific programs". This keeps the kids away from stuff you want, but don't trust them with it.

20. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Having someone guaranty their work is a must!!