Would like suggestions for used cars with decent MPG

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jul 30, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

What kind of car do you drive? We're thinking about selling my current one and then buying a used and hopefully affordable one with better MPG.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

A 91 Chevy Caviler

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

We had a 2008 Civic LX (automatic transmission) that got 39 mpg pretty consistently. My DH traded it for a Tahoe. :? And, yes, I still complain about that, but we really needed the room!!

I have a 2010 Fusion 4 cyl that gets 30 mpg consistently. It is a very good car as midsize sedans go and holds 5 people and a ton of stuff in the trunk. Very happy with the 4 cylinder. It is peppier than I had expected.

Good luck finding something. It appears that most people selling right now are taking advantage of the shortage of good mileage, good condition cars in these high priced gasoline times!! I can't believe what folks are asking on CL. We got lucky when we recently found my son a lightly used CR-V at a good price. I had my DH go right over the day after I saw it and he still had to wait to see if another couple was going to buy it or not. If you find one, don't wait. We used the Car Search Pros in Cary. Dan was awesome to work with. Very happy with the whole transaction and he gave us a 30-day warranty too. If he doesn't have what you want, he will find it.

4. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? My hubby has a 98 S10 pickup that only has 40,000 miles on it. Every time he gets it serviced they try to buy it. Other than the paint is just a tad faded it looks like new! My handicap van is a Dodge caravan and it's a 2006 with just 20,000 miles on it. Can you tell we are seniors? LOL We seldom go out of town, mostly drive to church, grocery store and local shopping and to the doctors office. See what you young ones have to look forward to!LOL LOL Don't know how people stand these high gas prices that have to commute to work every day! You can blame Obama! LOL I just had to throw that in.............LOL Pat

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

A 98 Pickup? Are you rich or something? Mine is a 91 S10!

Not sure what the fixation is with 91's but my wives car is the new 95 Corsica!

We did have a 2000 VW bug but I sold that to the junk yard a couple of weeks ago. Just can't hang with the Chevies.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I've got an 07 Dodge Caliber I'm pretty happy with. I get prob 26-28 mpg around town and I got 32mpg on a trip to VA a couple weeks ago. It's a "small" car but I tell you, I am amazed what I can cram in there.

I still have a minivan and a full size truck, so I take this car if at all possible with the gas prices.

7. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Small cars

8. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

I had an '07 Caliber as well. My entire drum kit fit in with room to spare. It got very good mileage.

Saturns also do very well.

9. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

yea i am finding out that those bugs arent what they are craxcked up tp be ;( wish i had of kept my ford ranger

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!