Would you go?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Sep 2, 2015.

?

Would you patron a Family Entertainment Center located in the area? (McGees, Garner, Smithfield etc)

Poll closed Sep 16, 2015.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Maybe, Depends on cost

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. No, I'd rather travel to Adventure Landing or Frankies

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I'm wanting to open my own business. But I would need investors. I feel that a mini golf, go kart, batting cage, arcade, snack bar etc. Family entertainment Center would do well in our little area. Considering all the growth that has happened and is happening, would you support this venture? Looking for somewhere around Benson, McGees, Garner, Clayton, Smithfield areas. Something within a 30 minute drive with traffic.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  2. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

I would love a mini golf place. I hate driving to Raleigh/capital blvd!

Rockyv58 likes this.
  3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the mini golf and even the go karts. When I use go and visit family in south Florida I would take my siblings to a place in Boca Raton called boomers. It had everything you mentioned plus bumper boats and laser tag.
    http://www.boomersparks.com/boca/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

To get an idea of cost ranges, these people may be able to help. They did some remodeling work at Frankie's in SC. The initial cost may be much more than you think it will be. Without a very good plan it will be nearly impossible to get the investors for a facility that can really compete with the established parks without some experience in similar ventures. I hope you can put together such a plan if that is your desire.

http://www.castlegolf.com/funpark-elements.asp

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I've been to Frankie's out past the airport. That has everything. But I bet it cost a few million to build plus land.

6. Wayne Stollings

Several. The new Montessori Academy on NC 55 just north of the Cary limits was budgeted for over 1.5 M for just an upfit.

7. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

so we are finally going to get a six flags over 40/42. it has been rumored on this discussion board for years. go for it!

Hught and Rockyv58 like this.
  8. todill

todill Member

Location. location. location.
    Family fun park could work but I have noticed the one on Tryon near Gorman in Raleigh tried several times with different owners and failed. It is now a gas station.
    Looking for a business, get the land across from stock building supply or the old Chops site and put up a K&W type restaurant. That would make a killing.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Tough sell these days with all of the gaming consoles that keep kids indoors. You might want to consider a trampoline park the likes of Defy Gravity or the Launching Pad. Indoors, maybe a little less upfit, etc.

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

There's already 5 of them in the area. $1-2M to build (plus land) - http://www.indoortrampolineparks.org/assets/docs/playmeter sarris article.pdf

For any decent sized fun park, you are probably looking at $100-200k for the land minimum, and another $1-2M for the facilities. Sure it could be done much cheaper, but would it thrive and survive?

Frankies sits on a $4M property, and the building/facilities are worth about $4M as well.

upload_2015-9-3_12-47-51.png

11. jesse82nc

And here is adventure landing
    upload_2015-9-3_12-50-20.png

12. Wayne Stollings

The equipment would be assessed as personal property as well, only the facility itself would be included in those figures. So every go kart, arcade, bench, table, etc., is added to that cost.

13. jesse82nc

For go karts to be competitive in todays marketplace, you need to have at least 150cc motors (Rush Hour is 200cc for comparisons). Those typically cost at least $1000 a piece. Ideally you would want at least 10 of them. You would probably want to get an extra one for a spare as well. Inherently you will always have some issue with at least one of your karts, and you would want to hire an on-site mechanic to be there at least 1-2 days a week fixing them. Tires need to be changed almost weekly. It's certainly not a cheap business to get into, but I would go often if there was a place that was cheaper and closer than Rush Hour.

Arcade games can cost $1000 for a cheap used one to over $10k for something modern. You would also want at least a dozen of them.

Mini golf would probably be your cheapest option, as you could do it yourself, or hire someone on the cheap to do it. The largest expense for it would be all of the concrete needed under the greens and for walkways.

There's already batting cages on Cleveland Road at Pelicans, Some on Shipwash road off Old Drug Store Road, some in Clayton, and more on 42 next to Bojangles.

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I would also think it would need to be near an exit for an interstate for access to people from Raleigh and maybe even Durham. You may want to look at Corwallis road. Eventually DOT plans to put an exit there

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

From a risk side you better make sure you are covered.

16. Wayne Stollings

Yes, the liability insurance alone will be several thousand a year on something like that.

jesse82nc and Hught like this.
  17. sirputz

In doing my research, the cost to insure a trampoline park is astronomical. Mainly because they are so new and haven't been in the industry long enough to get a good feel as to what the risks are. However, with FEC's, they've had the same typical stuff for decades and have since been able to manage and adjust their rates to reflect the need for insurance premiums. I'll stay away from Tramp Parks. (as many men should)

18. sirputz

I didn't know about the one on Shipwash Road. I knew of the others. My cages that I've investigated allow the user to control the speed, and type of pitch in each cage. They're all the same. So you don't have to have a designated baseball slow, baseball fast, softball slow, etc. Any batter can choose any cage and get the pitch and speed they need. I'm only looking at 5 of those.

19. sirputz

The plan is as follows. Start with an Airsoft/Paintball field. Then add Mini golf and some snacks and batting cages. Next is a large building to house offices/arcade, full snack bar, 2 party rooms, laser tag above. Then the Go karts. I want to succeed, and in doing so I need to pace myself and not just jump all in. Unless I hit the lottery, or someone I know does. I don't play often enough to bank on that.
    I have laid out plans (not cost figures yet) to sell individual day tickets, group tickets, season passes (Memorial to Labor Days), and include some other things not mentioned above. I also want to do a lot of community and nonprofit fundraising thru this business.
    If I end up with enough land, I would have much more to offer than Adventure landing, and I'd be competing more with Frankies, a good hour away. I'd love to stay in Joco, ideally looking at the property by sheetz and CVS at 50/210 Of course, they'd have to be willing to sell. But White Oak would be good too. Though I think I'd lose the Benson/Dunn/Smithfield/Selma/Angier and FV crowds by going to White Oak.

As far as costs, all told, I Estimate I need 1.4 million when all is built. To start, minus land cost, I figure I need 250K to get the first two going.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  20. Wayne Stollings