Yard treatment for ticks?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmomtothree, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a successful yard treatment for ticks? We have them so bad just walking in the yard you can pick them up. Between the 5 of us I guess we have had about 15 bites. We do spray ourselves but they are still getting us. We do have a dog (on Frontline) but he has not had any.

Thanks!

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

There are about a million different products you can buy at a hardware store from granules to sprays. I find that this helps keep them at bay.

3. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Yup, I treated the yard with one from lowes that kills the grubs/fleas/ticks mole crickets etc, seems to have done fine, by the next day grubs were all on the surface .:cheers:

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I personally either use the Bayer or Spectracide granules early in the year when I need to water the yard on a regular basis. Towards the middle to end of the season I use the spray that attaches to the hose.

5. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Just read up on what you get, some can make pets and children sick.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Also another form of treatment is to spread Seven Dust around the entire yard.

7. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

We got Guinea hens! They eat their fill on ticks! BUT they poop everywhere too, ticks or poo?? I am not sure which is worse!

8. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

sevin dust also kills honey bees. please use sevin liquid spray instead...

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned to be careful with the use (or overuse) of chemicals. I treat once every two years and do not do inside the fenced in area. I create a band around my house and it seems to do the trick.

Bagging your grass may also help a bit as it seems to collect all of the nasties and then you bag it up or compost it.

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

11. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

We use the Bayer spray stuff that you hook to your hose and spray your yard with it. We usually spray in the early Spring, Mid Summer and Mid Fall. So far, so good, it keeps the flea and tick problems under control at our house. (spraying + monthly Frontline) You have to keep the pets/kids out of the treated area for about 2 hours or until it is thoroughly dry and use it in the early AM or late PM.