you like or wanna try greek food?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ws, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ws

ws Well-Known Member

i like getting good service and when i do i dont mind spreading the word about it so here it is. there is this greek restaurant across from walmart in clayton i went to friday night. food and service was great. i met the owner, said he just bought the place a month or so ago. he was very nice. prices are very respectable also. my wife and i can eat there for ~20 bones. definitely a must try.

just passing this along to the 4042 crowd!

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Greeko's

I have tried the one in SMithfield and really liked the gyro! The stuffed grapeleaf thingies were not like the ones I had before from my dh's best friend who is from Greece. We had excellent service at the one in Smithfield.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I would consider it "fastfood" greek food, not great authentic greek food by any means. I've eaten at the one in Smithfield, and it was ok.

4. tawiii

tawiii Guest

They serve beer?

5. micmin21

micmin21 Guest

Greeko's

The one in Clayton is not associated with the one in Smithfield. They are two totally different owners. The owner in Clayton is from Greece and he is changing the menu to more traditional authentic Greek food. He was very pleasant when we were there and the food was exceptional. He said he is adding more more authentic Greek food.

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

What DOES Greece have? ... Italy= wine, Russia= vodka, Irish wisky?, Germany= REALLY GOOD BEER, ....

Actually, my first thought was - I'd rather have my beer in Greece than have grease in my beer. nyuk nyuk nyuk

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i swear girl, you still ain't right:lol::lol::lol:

8. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

I think Ouzo (?) is the traditional Greek drink...a licorice-flavored (anise) liquor...(not a flavor I crave!)... other than that, my Greek knowledge begins and ends with My Big, Fat Greek Wedding (wonder if Windex really is a cure-all??).
    I am going to have to try out the new restaurant, though...sounds GREAT!

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Funny then.. the one is Smithfield told me that they were opening the one in Clayton. :?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  10. ws

ws Well-Known Member

how long ago was this? the one in clayton just got new owners a month or so ago.

11. jdk

jdk Well-Known Member

Greece actually has a few things

1- we created the alphabet
    2- we started democracy
    3- ouzo
    4- oh we started the olympics
    5- greek olives -
    6- great natural oil
    7- wonderful history, handmade family traditions
    8- beautiful architecture
    9- the greek culture is rich in history and heritage
    10- the greek gods
    11- cheese pies, spinach pies, gyros', souvlaki (just because it is more americanlly recognized)
    10- the most important to me ...... the greek orthodox christian religion is beautiful and fullfilling

i am greek and you'll have a whole new world to explore if you are interested
    learning about, maybe that sounds partial but i i love everything about my family history

12. jdk

jdk Well-Known Member

hahaha lol
    yes i did have a big fat greek wedding and no my dad doesn't use windex as an answer to everything oh and we don't have cook outs on the front lawn

im sorry if you don't have a blood line linked to such history and obviously you know alot more about the great greek history than i do and i'm greek! come on, you even know about homer !!!!! i can't beleive i forgot about him he should have been on the top of my list AND i can't beleive i forgot about the clash of the titans
    thank you so much for reminding me

13. jdk

jdk Well-Known Member

in regards to greek restaurants i haven't heard of the one originally mentioned in this thread and look forward to trying it BUT beware unfortunately their are many fake greek restaurants in these parts

only 2 restaurants that i know of are owned and operated by greek families

1- Taverna Agora on glenwood ave,it is past crabtree, and across the street
    from rooms to go
    they are only open for dinner and for the quality and authenticity they are priced accordingly
    they cook very "traditionally and family style" like my mom does at home, literrally
    so it is "rough " again meaning AUTHENTIC like my mom ( not in a bad way)
    i highly reccomend the lamb shank AND many of the dishes we have had it makes me fell like im home and again like my mom cooked .

share your appetizers, i think they give large portions and try the house wine

Taverna agora means the "town meeting place"

2- the second authentic greek restaurant is Xios on highway 55 in apex
    the have a contemporary atmosphere and it is great for a date night

i've met kirk the owner and many times he and/or his dad are cooking in the kitchen.
    the fish is very fresh and i don't usually eat fish unless it is cooked in my home but their fish entrees are very good
    ( i know this because my dad ordered fish when he was visiting and raved about it)

now for many other "greek places" i'm not saying the are not any good BUT if it is not owned by a greek then i will not eat their,they are owned by "other" meditteranian people. in turn, they use different spices and i just don't want that i want the real deal

some hints; most greek authentic restaurants don't serve hummus ( unless it is demanded in the area) or other arab or turkish delicatese
    just ask them if they are greek and see what they say

14. ws

ws Well-Known Member

this one is actually owned by someone from greece

15. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Here locally I'm kinda partial to Hungry's. They have the best gyro that I have tasted since I was in the military stationed overseas.

Craig

16. jdk

jdk Well-Known Member

yes they both are. i don't remember where the owners are from that own
    taverna agora
    but the owner of xios is from xios, greece. because he is from that area he named his restaurant after it .