Young cat at Mcdonalds 4042

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by cathy0517, Jul 16, 2010.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Last week my husband saw a young cat at Mcdonalds, he told the manager and was assured they would make sure it was taken care of. We just stopped at that Mcdonalds tonight and the cat is still there. It is greyish/black and white and appears thin. It is hanging out in the bushes behind the 1st speaker in the drive thru. I can't bring it home because I have 3 very cat unfriendly dogs. If anyone can rescue it please let me know, otherwise I will try to catch it and take it to the aspca in the morning.

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Isn't there a herd of feral cats in that area?

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately thats all too true.... there were feral cats in our warehouse at work, they used to trap them and bring them to the Wake County Shelter off of Corporation Pkwy @ New Bern Ave. I made the mistake of going up one time to check on a cat that had been brought up and they told me their policy. They would give the cat several chances to interact with the shelter workers. If after either 3 or 5 days (can't remember which) the cat was not settled down and friendly (adoptable), they had no choice but to put it to sleep.

Might be better, if the OP wants to be involved, trap the cat and foster it and work with it to make it friendly. Then place some free classified ads to try to find it a forever home.

Otherwise... I'd just let it be too.

4. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Oh no, not you. :jester:

5. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

I was really just trying to be helpful. The cat looked skinny and sick and I would rather see it go to a shelter than be run over by a car or attacked by a stray dog. :banghead:

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Don't bang your head over it, theres lots of other way to help, unfortunately taking it to a shelter isn't always one of them. Maybe buy a few small cans of catfood to keep in your car and when you are up in that area set one out under the bushes for the cat. With more regular feeding and proper cat food you might see an improvement in its appearance. Ofcourse McD might not appreciate it, so try to keep it out of sight and pick up the can to throw away from the last trip if it is still there.

There used to be a few feral cats down by Lowes Foods in Clayton, around the RBC Bank end of the parking lot, near the Gazebo that sits across from Jersey Mikes. Late at night they would be out, beautiful young black cats. I would either set out my leftovers from dinner for them, if it was something they would eat, or cans of cat food now and then. Lots of people knew they were there and left food for them. They haven't been seen in a while, but they always looked pretty healthy. I like to think someone befriended them and found them a forever home.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

Look into "Operation Cat Nip" they trap and neuter feral cats

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Was that "Cat Nip" or "Cat Snip"....... ;)

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I don't think its the same one, SNAP-NC doesn't trap and then bring back to release post surgery. SNAP-NC is just a very affordable mobile spay/neuter clinic, you have to make appts and bring your animals to them.

In looking at their website further ... they do offer a $50 spay/neuter exam package with rabies shot, etc. for feral cats. You still have to trap the cat yourself and have a pending appt. with them, you must bring any feral cats to them in a humane style trap, like the Have-a-heart traps.

http://www.snap-nc.org/FeralCats.asp

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

http://www.operationcatnip.org/raleigh.html

They no longer do the trapping and releasing. It looks like you can arrange to borrow traps through them. According to their schedule it looks like they schedule one Sunday a month to do the free feral spay/neuter program. You still have to make an appt, trap the cats, bring them to the clinic in approved humane traps (no cat carriers) and pick them up afterwards and manage their post surgery care overnight before releasing them.