Looking for place that serves non-vinegar based BBQ

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed2adopt2, Jan 1, 2007.

1. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I love BBQ, but am not fond of the type with the vinegar based, like at Smithfield's (although I LOVE their chicken).

Are there any places around that have the tomato based BBQ that you would recommend?

Thx.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I am not aware of any in Eastern North Carolina, and as I found out, they may run you out of town if you discuss those sentiments out loud.:)

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

You're not from around here, are you?;)
    The vinegar based sauce is Eastern style, and it's probably the only kind you will find around here. The tomato based sauce is Western style, it might require a couple hours drive to find it.

Oh, I almost forgot, Sonny's is a chain, if there's one around here, they will have the tomato based sauce.

Actually, I think the vinegar based sauce is an acquired taste. I didn't care for it when I first moved here, but now I really enjoy it. (And I come from a place where they think barbecue is a verb!) Also, I like my grits with butter & salt, but I still don't care for okra.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The Eastern Carolina BBQ is definitely an acquired taste, it's taken me about 5 years, but now I like it on occasion, couldn't stand it the first time I tried it, felt like it was burning a hole in my stomach, LOL. I usually make my own "Western" style at home, we've never found any place here that serves it.

5. racecitync

racecitync Well-Known Member

Try Danny's...it's more of a Florida style BBQ like Sonny's...very similar to Lexington (Western) style BBQ. It's pretty tasty and easily beats this vinegar swill you get around here.

...now on with the annual 4042 BBQ fight :twisted:

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=13087292

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  6. Just One Guy

Just One Guy Well-Known Member

Amen... being from Georgia, I still can't stand the stuff, and I've been here three years.

And what's with coleslaw on bbq? Back home, we'd cut you for that.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Doesn't "Red, Hot & Blue" do a tomato based sauce?? I'm pretty sure they actually have several tomato based sauces to choose from....

I thought they did, and I like their bbq because they leave nice chunks of meat in their bbq, not chopped to death itty bitty pieces.

There's a Red Hot & Blue in Cary, and one in Raleigh. You'd have to look them up, not sure of the roads they're on.

:-D

8. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Yes, RH&B does tomato based BBQ.

Second the nomination on Danny's. My first choice is always McCall's, but when I'm down for a change, it's Danny's.

9. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

Take a trip up to the mountains and hit Woodland's on US 321, outside of Blowing Rock. They have the best western NC style barbecue I've ever had. And their barbecue corn on the cob is awesome. It's worth the trip just for the barbecue, but you might as well get some skiing in while you're there.

Snuff

P.S. What's wrong with vinegar-based barbecue? Personally, I love both kinds.

10. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

tomato based is not real BBQ. not like people around here eat anyway. must be more transplants.

11. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Ahhh, a topic close to my heart (or belly).

I assume the poster is looking for what I call Lexington style (has become known as western NC style). I have yet to find anything of that nature in the area. Sonny's is a chain and the last time I ate there (about 2000), it wasn't anything like Lex-style.

I heard an add for a a place in N. Raleigh on the radio recently. Claimed to have all styles in their restaurant. Sadly, I don't recall the place.

As for what's better? Give me Lexington style. When I first got to NC State back in the day, a bunch of us went out for barbecue at Don Murray's or BBQ Lodge. I thought I would choke from the greasy, nasty taste.

Of course, since then, I have come to appreciate the fine establishments of Wilburs, Parkers, White Swan, Holt Lake, etc., but I'll still drive 30 miles out of the way for some Lexington BBQ when I travel to Charlotte.

I guess the saying is true...you never forget your first love.

12. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

As a native Tar Heel. let me state that if the first experience you had to vinegar-based Bar-B-Que was Don Murray's or BBQ Lodge...its a thousand wonders you didn't leave the area immediately.

Stephenson's at McGees X-roads is much better, mainly because they use shoulders instead of the whole hog, thus not as much fat.

13. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Vinegar Based Sauce Rules

It all depends on where you were raised. Being raised on vinegar based sauce makes me partial. I have detoured many miles out of the way to get it. I certainly understand people liking what they grew up with. For us that were blessed with growing up in Eastern NC, when we say BBQ it means the whole hog and vinegar. Since we all live in eastern NC...get used to it.

14. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Unless you grew up at McGee's Xroads....then it means just the shoulders and vinegar...like they've been doing at Stephensons' since 1957.

15. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmmmm, Stephensons BBQ!
    Mmmmmmmmm and do not forget the totally wonderful BBQ Chicken.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

AND
    you must love the 5 minutes or less wait for your food almost everytime.

16. Centurian

Centurian Well-Known Member

BBQ Sauce

BBQ sauce IS vinegar-based with peppers and seasoning. Anything else is just ketchup.

Seriously, western NC style is almost as good.

17. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

You can never win an argument on whether vinegar base barbecue or catsup base barbecue is better. It is an age old argument. Most of us that were raised in this area prefer vinegar base barbecue. Plain and simple. Our taste buds have been brain washed. To us there is no comparison.
    For those that prefer Lexington style barbecue just take a drive and get your fill.

18. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

Stephenson's rocks! Love their BBQ and Slaw!

19. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

Stephenson's barbecue chicken is excellent.

20. racecitync

racecitync Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Stephenson's BBQ is smoked or otherwise cooked over wood instead of propane?