suggestions on getting rid of fire ants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kdog, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

in the yard. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Pepper Jack

Pepper Jack Well-Known Member

3 annual application of Termidor by an exterminator is supposed to do the trick. It can be an expensive deal but I have been told it will get rid of the little *%$#$$#$

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Amdro. They have it at Lowe's. It's a granular type stuff, you spread it around the nests and they grab it and bring it home for the whole colony. Works pretty good.

4. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Are any of these safe for kids and pets?

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Gas+Match=no mo ants

6. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

I've use those for more than 20 years while living in Florida. It works really well. We have a dog and kids in our backyard and never had any problem. You just sprinkle granular on ant hills. It looks like dark sand and stay on the ground.

7. ws

ws Well-Known Member

the granular baits work well, they can be bought at lowes, home depot and the like. if a dog or child eats the bait it can be bad depending on how much they ate and the size of the dog/child. termidor is a great product, i use it for spot treating ant nests, but i also use a different chemical for broadcast coverage ( like a full yard treatment ). the key thing is you have to kill the nest, mostly the larvae, adult ant cannot eat hard food. they bring it back to the colony for the larvae ants ( the baby ants if you will ) eat the hard food, regurgitate the food ( which is now a soft food, kinda like a liquid ) the the rest of the colony eats. termidor is not a granular bait, it is a liquid that is applied to the ground surrounding the nest. the worker ants cannot smell, taste, see, detect this chemical. therefore they walk through it and get the chemical on their bodies. ants are very social animals, at night when everyone comes back home they wash each other, this is how the termidor chemical enters the ants body and kills them.

i am in the pest control business, i will let my companies name go nameless for right now because i dont want to advertise here. is someone wants some more info on this pm me and i will get back to you.

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Hey, that's good to know. I can see the PM"s flying in your inbox. :lol: We got some stuff from a guy in Wilmington, works GREAT!!!

9. falcon

falcon Well-Known Member

There is a product called Tempo used for ant control in chicken houses. This product will kill ants graveyard dead. I have seen it work. A friend of mine put it on a big hill and we went back a couple days later and kicked the hill and it was full of dead ants. I have not seen this with any other product. I would try tractor supply or if they dont have it there is a place in Dunn that does.

10. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

fire ants

I have always heard that Quaker Quick Grits sprinkled around the fire ant bed would kill them. The ants take the grits down into the nest, eat it and then the grit expands and "POOF" dead ant! Plus there is no danger of pets or kids getting hurt by a poisonous product.

11. ws

ws Well-Known Member

never heard of this and doubt it works like this

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

and

Our lovely type of fire ants are polymorphic which is a fancy a$$ was of saying that they can have more than one queen per nest. So you must KILL them all or they will just keep right on coming back. They may move 20 feet but they are still with you.

Also with most of the BAIT methods they - do not work - if the bait gets wet.

The last crew that ran underground cable lines by our house 'seeded' fire ants .... lovely mess.

Good Luck!! It an on going battle here.

13. KDsGrandma

True, if it gets wet you need to spread some more bait after the ground dries.

14. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

BURN THEM!

[​IMG]

15. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

Good info! Thanks!

Now...if I can only get rid of the sand spurrs in my yard!

16. juliejam

juliejam Member

Actually, the grits WILL work, in a pinch. Not a real solution in the long term, but it'll kill them. My Daddy has been an exterminator for over 20 years and has his own business. When I was in FL & he couldn't get to me easily, he told me this trick until I could get to the store.

Now, as far as long term solutions go: Home Depot has a product called Over N Out. It works like a charm. I lived in South FL, the fire ant capitol of the US, for 5 years. My hubby used this once or twice a year and it totally did away with our fire ants. You just spread it with a broadcast spreader after cuting the grass & then you water it in after you're done. It works like a charm.

The Termidor does work, but exterminators overcharge for it like the devil. I know this because Daddy told me how much it costs and how much places like Orkin will charge for it. He charges a fraction of what the do, but unfortunately for everyone here, he is in Williamston & doesn't really work this area.

So, give the Over n Out a try. I guarantee you, it'll do the trick.

17. KDsGrandma

Where's Ken??????? Napalm!!!!!!!!

18. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Spotted another starter sand pile of the Devils on Friday - Grrrrrrr.

Bait Out... Die you evil horde, die! :twisted:

19. falcon

falcon Well-Known Member

Wynnco in Dunn is where you can get Tempo.