The Upper Room - all things Christian

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A Man Called Peter - 1955 - fantastic family movie

I caught just a portion of this movie this morning, but based just on what I saw and have read about today, this movie would be great for the entire family.

If you see it in future listings be sure to record it.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Called-Pe..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1202444308&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Called-Pe...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202443981&sr=8-2

Reverend Dr. Peter Marshall (27 May 1902 – January 26, 1949) twice served as Chaplain of the United States Senate.
    Born in Coatbridge (North Lanarkshire), Scotland, he was a penniless immigrant when he landed at Ellis Island in New York in 1927 when he was 24. He graduated from Columbia Theological Seminary in 1931, when he became the pastor of Covington Presbyterian Church, a small, rural church in Covington, Georgia. After a brief pastorate, he accepted a call to Atlanta's Westminster Presbyterian Church in 1933. It was in Atlanta that he met his future wife, Catherine Wood, a student at Agnes Scott College whom he married in 1936. He became pastor of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington, D.C. in 1937 and was appointed twice as U.S. Senate Chaplain, serving from January 4, 1947 until his sudden death just over two years later. He was 46 years old.[1]

Dr. Marshall is buried at Ft. Lincoln Cemetery (Section C, Lot 344, Site 1) in Bladensburg, Maryland. He was survived by his wife and one son, Peter John Marshall.

Catherine Marshall later married divorcee Leonard LeSourd, editor of Guideposts magazine. She wrote over 20 books, including the best-selling novel Christy based on her mother's experiences as a young Appalachian teacher, which became a television series. Peter Marshall's life was the subject of her book A Man Called Peter, which was later made into an Oscar-winning film of the same title (1955) directed by Henry Koster and featuring Richard Todd as Peter Marshall.[2] Todd studied tape recordings of several Peter Marshall sermons from 1947-48; some of these historic recordings were later released to the public by Caedmon Records. Catherine died on March 18, 1983 and was buried next to her first husband, Peter Marshall.

Peter John Marshall followed his father into the Presbyterian clergy and now runs a national ministry from Orleans, Massachusetts. He has also authored many books on the Christian faith in the United States.

Source: wikipedia

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Egg Carton Easter Story - great way to get your kids involved

http://www.iccreligiouseducation.com/easter.cfm?subpage=306631

My wife purchased a commercial version of this when my daughter was very young, and this was one way we shared the story of Jesus and His crucifixion with her.

It didn't take long before she could tell us the story.

3. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Easter egg link Kent!

4. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A Child's Prayer

[​IMG]

A Child's Prayer

I stood quietly as this precious one,
    Began her nightly prayer.
    A prayer so simple and sincere,
    None other does compare.

"God bless Mommy and Daddy too",
    She whispered soft and sweet.
    "God please bless all my family,
    And thanks for what we eat".

She thanked our Lord for the moon and stars,
    The flowers and the trees.
    For the Teddy Bear that she loves so,
    As she prayed there on her knees.

Her voice was tender and so sweet,
    Like talking to her Dad.
    Told God she was so sorry that,
    If ever she was bad.

She told Jesus that she loved Him so,
    And then she said "goodnight".
    I felt tears well up within my eyes,
    As I kissed and held her tight.

5. ready2cmyKing

Here Kent, this goes better with that poem. [​IMG] Is that adorable, or what?

6. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

That is just precious!

7. ready2cmyKing

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  8. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

10. ready2cmyKing

11. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Question: Now that I have heard, received and confessed Christ as my Savior, what is it that God is after in/from me while I yet live on earth? In other words, what is God's 'ultimate intention' for my life; His reason for His salvation?

12. ready2cmyKing

Ormly, please tell me you aren't dogging on Dr. Rogers now. He was one of the best pastors I have ever heard preach the Gospel and preach to the saints. He always made his messages simple and clear, and was always able to get those messages through my thick skull. I have a some of his messages on CD and I can't wait to meet that man in heaven one day so I can tell him how much his ministry meant to me! If you don't know anything about him, listen to some of his sermons here: http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Love_Worth_Finding/

He was not a tickle the ears kind of preacher, he PREACHED IT ALL... heaven, hell, salvation, sin... he wasn't afraid to step on some toes with ANY OF IT! :)

13. ready2cmyKing

What is my purpose as a Christian? 1. To glorify God. 2. To tell others about Him and how they can receive the gift of eternal life through Christ Jesus, His Son. 3. To be the hands and feet of the Lord and serve others.

14. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Indeed. If every Christian did that I dare say the Church would have accomplished its purpose. Where do think it went wrong?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  15. ready2cmyKing

I can't speak for every Christian, only myself, but I think most of us are too much "of the world" instead of just in it. Some days I really, really, really want to just sell everything that we own and move to a foreign country... one that doesn't have the luxuries and materialism that the US has... and just work for the Lord. That feeling has intensified 1000x since I went to Romania. In fact, I've been asking DH if he ever feels that way too. ;) We're going to try to raise the funds to go on a missions trip to Romania in '09. Maybe once he sees what I have seen he will understand why I'm so frustrated with what I keeping seeing in the churches here. All the petty stuff that gets in the way of what we really should be doing as Christians. It gets me down, and then I realize that I am just as guilty of pettiness as the next Christian. :-(

16. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Excellent question. Ask Him.

17. ready2cmyKing

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  18. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

I'm with you.

If the person who made the video thinks the "tiny offering" is referring to the Baby Jesus, then I think s/he got it wrong, too. Could be just how they put the video together. Not sure.

GREAT SONG!

19. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

But I know what it is. I was just wondering if you do?

20. ready2cmyKing