Gun Control

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bear, Mar 9, 2008.

1. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

I think majority of us are anti-gun control. That being said..we do live in the South. And we do love our guns.

I for one think that everyone should have a right to a reasonable firearm. I don't believe Bob down the street needs an AK47 in his gun safe.

I feel safer anyway I look at it. I know I feel safer knowing that in my neighborhood probably 90% of the houses own a gun. Weather there was a criminal, inward Goverment attacks, or an attack from a foreign country. I feel safer knowing that majority of the people around here own a firearm.

2. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I started this thread and I am in favor of gun control. But you people have made some very good points. I rest my case.

3. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

:iagree: Just watch out for Ken's slippery slope!

4. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I think I proved you wrong.

5. clive

clive Well-Known Member

Gun control = use two hands instead of one.

6. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

7. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

You are exactly right. In college my law professor always told us if we shoot someone kill them.

I feel the same way, they day you decide to break into my home and put my children at risk, is the day you choose to meet your maker.

8. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

amen!

9. Clif

Clif Guest

You do know that Bob down the street can't legally own an AK-47, right? He can own a rifle that looks like an AK-47, but the fact that I have a car that looks like a Maserati doesn't mean my car will preform like a Maserati. An AK-47 is an automatic weapon (a real assault rifle), which have been illegal for private citizens to own since the 30s.

10. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Sheesh, must you always let facts get in the way of good propaganda????

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

At least that much regulation is reasonable, don't you agree? What legitimate use would a private citizen have for a real AK-47? Other legitimate regulations, I think, include laws against persons owning firearms who have been convicted of violent felonies. A waiting period of a few days, to give the seller time to check the buyer's record also seems reasonable. A permit requirement to carry a concealed weapon is another.

I would certainly not want to bar private citizens from owning weapons for hunting, or for protection of their homes and families. At the same time, I don't think the second amendment bars all forms of government regulation of firearms, any more than I think the first amendment right of free speech allows me to shout "fire" in a crowded theatre (unless of course there is a fire).

12. Clif

Clif Guest

Not particularly.

To protect hearth and home from a government gone bad.

All little chips at our rights, and a way for the government to know who has the guns.

And yet neither of these was the purpose of the second amendment.

Apples and oranges.

The first amendment prevents congress from enacting laws restricting speech. The second amendment restricts all governments (federal state and local) from infringing on the right. Don't you think it was curiously specific wording?

Once again, the purpose of the second amendment wasn't to allow Joe Citizen to protect hearth and home from criminals, or to allow Jed to go hunting out in Bugtussle. It was for the sole purpose of making sure the government was hard pressed to oppress us. Giving the government the right to regulate our protection against them is ludacris.

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

As a CCW permit carrier, and owner of several (ok many) firearms (several of which would be considered assault weapons by Joe (uninformed) Public) I feel that certain gun control laws are good for several reasons. The fact that is illegal for a convicted felon to own one, and the fact that if caught it would mean more jail/prison time is one such law. However, laws (such as the Brady Bill) only affect the law abiding citizens, and puts us (those that would abide by the law) at a disadvantage should we be confronted by those that do not abide by such laws.

Craig

14. Clif

Clif Guest

Do you honestly believe there is a criminal out there that has said to himself, "You know, I got out of prison, and I was going to rob that mini mart, but if I do it with a gun they will add ten years to that twenty year sentence if I get caught, so I'm not going to do it."?

Pul-ease. Criminals are going to break the law. That's why they are called criminals. Adding an extra law for them to break is not going to disuade them.

Oh, and by the way, after I finished my parole, all my rights (including the right to own a gun) was reinstated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  15. CraigSPL

I never said anywhere in my post that criminals were smart enough to think it through that if they robbed the mini-mart with a gun that they would think about the extra time. My point was that being caught with felony possession of a firearm while in the process of committing a crime carried extra time. And while I'm not going to dig into your past criminal record, there are certain times that a felon can be granted the right to own a firearm, however reading those circumstances I doubt it happens very often.

Craig

16. Clif

Clif Guest

It really depends on the state. In Arizona, where I committed my felony, it's automatic when you are released from custody ("released" includes completing any parole). As a matter of fact there was still a law on the books that allowed for a released convict to receive a horse, a gun, and a $20 gold piece. The law was rescinded (while I was there) when an inmate tried to cash in on his release and sued the state when they refused.

17. sus

sus Well-Known Member

I agree. I got my CCW permit to protect my family and myself. Then got so dang mad in class when I was hearing when i could use it and when I couldn't. The Instructor did tell me that being a female alone in the house with two teenage daughters would give me a little more leeway. But I can tell you..someone walks into my home and threatens my family or myself.. all bets are off.

18. CraigSPL

Per the following link:

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/pdf/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54A.pdf

It is illegal for any felon to possess a firearm in this state, assuming their crime is punishable by more than 1 year of incarceration. Unless they are granted the rights via one of the special priviledges, such as a full pardon. No matter where their crime was commited nor what that state's laws are concerning felons and ownership of firearms.

Craig

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

How is this much different than McVeigh and Oklahoma City??

20. Clif

Clif Guest

While the link you provided does state that I may not be able to legally own a weapon, the quote you provided was not part of the link. From the quote, there was mention of "Unless they are granted the rights via one of the special priviledges, such as a full pardon." Since the quote is not from the link, I cannot see what "special privilidges" are that may apply to me.

How is McVeigh much different than any of the acts of terrorism committed by Americans against the British in the 1700's? History is written by the winners. The loser's terrorist is the winner's war hero.