The Upper Room - all things Christian

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

You're welcome here any time. There's always space available.

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Feel free to join in.

3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

4. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

5. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

6. tawiii

tawiii Guest

I have enjoyed this thread also. This could be the only thread on the entire forum to stay on topic.

It's a great place to stop in every now and then.

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Praying for unbelievers - time is of the essence

Here's a good way to pray for someone who is not a believer: Use the acrostic HEARTS.

Pray for:

H -- Hearts to be receptive. The Bible says God shines on people's hearts to give light to the knowledge of God's glory - 2 Corinthians 4:6

E -- Ears to be open. Paul told his Jewish brothers that the saving work of God was sent to the Gentiles - they also will listen - Acts 28:28

A -- Attitudes to be changed. The mind set on the Spirit is life and peace - Romans 8:6

R -- Repentance to occur. God calls people to repentance so that times of refreshing may come from the Lord - Acts 3:19

T -- Transformation to begin. Transformation comes by the renewing of the mind so that someone can discern the will of God - Romans 12:2

S -- Servants to be obedient. God's plan is for His followers to be witnesses all over the world - Acts 1:8

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I felt my ears burning, like someone was trying to keep them from burning! ;)

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Somebody IS praying! Thank you, Jesus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_h_IRfRe8

An elderly lady came up to me the other night and said, "Kent, I just want you to know that I pray for you every day, that God will keep you safe when you are at work, and to bring you home safely."

I thanked her with a great big hug and said I can feel her prayers along with others who I know pray for me.

I need and want prayers from my Christian brothers and sisters.

And, I continue to add others (by name) to my prayer list, asking God to intercede in their lives with blessings and protection, and, most importantly for those who have yet to make that life-changing decision to follow Christ.

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

He is Risen!

He is Risen, indeed!

- - - - - - - - - -

Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.

And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it.

His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow.

And for fear of him the guards trembled and became like dead men.

But the angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified.

He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay.

Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and behold, he is going before you to Galilee; there you will see him. See, I have told you."

So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples.

And behold, Jesus met them and said, "Greetings!" And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him.

Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me."

Matthew 28:1-10 ESV

11. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Today's Love Worth Finding devotion: Dr. Adrian Rogers

BIBLE MEDITATION:
    "He is not here: for He is risen." Matthew 28:6

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
    It is a disturbing truth that Jesus Christ literally came out of the grave.

You just can't be neutral about the resurrection. If you are a thinking person,
    you're going to have to face the fact of the resurrection. Either it is true
    or it is not true. Either He came out of that grave or He did not.

Now which side are you on?

You can't just ball it all up and say, "It doesn't really make any difference. Let's just put our
    arms around everybody. We all believe the same thing." No, no, no! When you take a stand
    for truth, you're going to have a head on collision with the darkness that doesn't want the light shining in!

ACTION POINT:
    Pray for those in fulltime ministry as they proclaim the truth to a lost world.
    Pray for God's protection as they go to the frontline and battle for souls!

12. ready2cmyKing

Kent, I found a website where we can WATCH Dr. Rogers' sermons! I would have loved to have visited his church just once before he went home, wouldn't you? He was such a fabulous Bible teacher and preacher.

I watched this one today. http://www.lightsource.com/Ministry/love_worth_finding/20080302/

Glory hallelujah, come quickly Lord Jesus!! :-D

13. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

10-4 on hearing Dr. Rogers in person!

The link from his website: http://www.lwf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage also goes to the same link you gave for watching his sermons.

Lots of resources from the LWF site.

Thanks for the link.

P.S. - I encourage everyone to get on the distribution list for Dr. Rogers' daily devotions. Easy to do and worth reading each day.

https://secure2.convio.net/lwfm/site/SPageServer?pagename=for_LWFNewsletter_signup

14. ready2cmyKing

Now don't I feel dumb. I've been to the LWF website dozens of times and never saw that link. :oops:

I listened to 3 of his sermons today. Just turned it up real loud and listened while I did laundry, etc. I also like Dr. Lutzer and Dr. Jeremiah a lot, so with the discovery of that website I'll have plenty o' prechin' to fill my days. :)

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Cornerstone Christian Bookstore - Boone, NC

If you're ever in Boone be sure to visit this bookstore. It is awesome. 2 stories. The online link doesn't do it justice. The pictures and wood carvings, which aren't shown online, are fantastic.

Located next to Golden Corral and Ruby Tuesday's on US 321, heading toward Blowing Rock.

http://www.cornerstonebooksonline.com/books.asp?mymode=1&cid=302442&catname=Books

16. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

5 finger prayer

[​IMG]

1. Your thumb is nearest you. So begin your prayers by praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to remember. To pray for our loved ones is, as C. S. Lewis once said, a 'sweet duty.'

2. The next finger is the pointing finger. Pray for those who teach, instruct and heal. This includes teachers, doctors, and ministers. They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction. Keep them in your prayers.

3. The next finger is the tallest finger. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for the president, leaders in business and industry, and administrators. These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God's guidance.

4. The fourth finger is our ring finger. Surprising to many is the fact that this is our weakest finger, as any piano teacher will testify. It should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. They need our prayers day and night. You cannot pray too much for them.

5. And lastly comes our little finger - the smallest finger of all which is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and others. As the Bible says, 'The least shall be the greatest among you.' Your pinkie should remind you to pray for yourself. By the time we have prayed for the other four groups, our own needs will be put in to proper perspective and we will be able to pray for ourselves more effectively.

17. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

18. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  19. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

20. ready2cmyKing