I have a black snake that crawled into my garage. What do i do?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BeachGirl, Jul 7, 2008.

1. BeachGirl

BeachGirl Member

:confused:I have never dealt with a snake before, especially in my garage. There are things he can get into or under, so I am very fearful. I hear it may be a mice eating snake..but he was really long, and I feel that we can be in danger my family and i. Animal control will not come and the person they referred me to is over $300 to come look and take him away if hes still there. Help!!!

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

He's not going to hurt you, please don't kill it. I don't know how to get it out, other than to pick him up and remove him. I've done it myself, and I'm a big 'ol fraidy cat most of the time. Do you have a neighbor that would get him out? Again, please don't kill it, they are harmless and a big help.

3. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

If you don't bother him, he shouldn't bother you. He will make his way out. I know not what you want to hear, sorry.

4. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

He is more scared of you than you are of him. Keep him close! He eats mice and poisonous snakes.

5. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

My advise is to leave it alone. It'll eat unwanted critters and is harmless to you and yours. You can always try to wrangle it into a pillow case or some other bag and take it to the woods and turn it loose. They're harmless to humans.

Mike

6. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

MOVE!

7. Suggestion

My husband says that snakes do not like moth balls...so put those around the inside perimeter of the garage and then crack the garage door so he can leave.
    Hope this helps. Sharon

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

this does actually work....try to make sure he is OUT first, if you don't he'll stay instead of crossing the moth ball line! :)

9. BeachGirl

BeachGirl Member

Thanks for the advice.

No I'm not going to move. haha. I just am hoping he already came out, but my husband isnt home yet, so not sure. I pray that he made his way back out. I think the moth ball thing is something I def. can try. where should I get them?

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

walmart, cvs, dollar general.....heck, even foodlion might have them......

11. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

Get a broom and a box. Move him into the box with the broom, take him to the woods and release him. He won't hurt you.

12. juliejam

juliejam Member

Wait until your hubby gets home & have him KILL it!

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

no reason to kill it just because you don't like it or might be afraid of it.... it does take care of lots of rodents, etc...they move on pretty quickly especially if they are in search of food. I would really venture to guess that if he was in your garage, he was looking for a meal. If he had just eaten, he would have an obvious bulge in his midsection, not be very active, and more than likely would have been out in a sunny area looking for heat to aid in its digestion. Thats why you might see them laying on concrete walks or paved driveways, those surfaces retain the heat well and that helps them aid in digestion.

I know... no one wanted a snake lesson... sorry.

8)

14. Rcskip

Rcskip Well-Known Member

Please do not kill him. If you are sure he is still in your garage and need him removed just pm me and I'll come get him.---Rachael

15. fsb3

fsb3 Well-Known Member

When we moved in there was a black snake in our garage. I wanted the hubbie to kill it, but we moved it, no he moved it to a wooded area. I feel much better about that. They say they kill small rodents, I do not want either. Yet I have learned that black snakes are good. And killing them are not the ideal thing to do. I do not want to meet any snake in person, but I guess if I have no choice it will be one of those. Try and make the right choice.

16. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

2 summers ago I went to get a soda from a box in my kitchen pantry. When I reached my hand in the box, a snake popped out of it. I almost peed in my pants! Needless to say I went thirsty. I did get it out with a broom and released it safely.

17. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I am pleasantly surprised at how many people are cautioning against killing the snake. Black snakes are indeed good for keeping down the rodent population. Too often, we humans interfere with nature for no good reason, to our detriment. No one is allowed to molest a snake around my house. Good for all of you who told her not to kill the snake. :)

18. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Really?! People would rather have a snake than a mouse? Is that what kind of rodents you're talking about? Or are there more sever, dangerous rodents? Cause I'd rather have a mouse for sure than a snake!

I did finally see a snake in our backyard about a week ago (Tassy :lol:) My son of course is the one who found it, from inside looking out our window, I swear he's got an eye for this stuff! He immediately wanted to go running outside, he and my hubby went outside to try to kill it with the shovel but it was gone by the time they got out there. I actually wasn't as frightened as I thought I would be, and it wasn't that big either. It was only probably 1" around and 18" long, and black. Not scary at all. Son saw it again the next day at the same exact spot, going in the same direction.

19. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

We had a black snake in our garage about 2 weeks ago - but he went behind some shelves where we couldn't reach him when we tried to catch him. We decided to just leave him ... figuring he would come out when he got ready. We haven't seen him since then ... so maybe he decided to leave our house & move into yours :)

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Absoluelty I'd rather have a snake than a rodent. Snakes don't carry diseases like rodents too. Why would you want to kill a harmless animal that does so much good? :?