Gatlinburg, TN

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by RCARP, Jul 7, 2008.

1. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

Ok, have been once, but it was a couple of years ago and a 2-day trip. Didn't get to go exploring as much as I wanted. So I am turning to my fellow 40/42ers for all their input. I know the obvious places like dolly wood, but what I want to know is your recommendations of places (that may or may not be that well known) to go or stay away from as well. There will be no kids on this trip, just 2 adults.

Any thoughts on the five hundred different Ripley's places?

2. carolgilx

carolgilx Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd like to hear some suggestions too. We'll be in Gaitlinburg next week but with our 10 & 13 year olds. Any suggestions for us would be appreciated also!

3. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Well-Known Member

EAT AT THE APPLE BARN!!

I have not tried the one in Gatlinburg, but the one in Pigeon Forge is very good!

we usually go every year, and I did not hear about this place until a few years ago...
    YUMMO!!

also, the aquarium in Gatlinburg is good if you have never been....Dollywood is a must for the kids...adults too if you like rides and shows...

make sure to drive up on the mountain too...beautiful scenery....

there is lots to do on the strip...you'll just have to see what you want to do..

oh yea...don't try to drive anywhere...just walk on the strip.... even in the winter time...the roads are crazy if you are driving!!

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

When we went for our wedding, we stayed in Pigeon Forge and spent some time in Gatlinburg. Mostly because Pigeon Forge is in Siever (sp?) County, which is "dry'. We hung out at some Brewery at the top of the hill, I can't remember the name of it, same main rd. as the Ripleys museum. Nice little shops in that area as well. I remember we did hang out at a bar named Puckers and had fun there, very friendly staff. If you'd like a beautiful scenic drive, and to see some remnants of an old community in the Great Smokies, Cades Cove is just outside of Gatlinburg and is a beautiful drive through a valley area in the smokies. Lots of opportunities to stop and see old churches, cemetaries, homesteads, lots of wildlife. I think its a 24 mile one way loop/road through that particular area. I would also say, if you like horses, spend an afternoon on a trail ride.

We stayed at the beautiful log cabin that we booked through Fireside Chalets.

I hope you have a great time, I can't wait to go back out there again myself.

5. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

i'm thinking of that myself. sounds like a good idea.

6. me&them

me&them Well-Known Member

We love going to Gatlinburg. We have gone four times and were going to skip this year. :(

As for the Ripley places I would skip them, they aren't worth the money in my opinon.

For eating the Apple Barn was ok not the best for us. The old Mill in Pigeon Forge is great! Crawldaddies, hard rock and blaine's all the these are in downtown Gatlinburg.

The Nascar Speed Park is a fun place to go if you like gocarts. Dollywood is great as well.

Shopping is awsome! Go to the outlet malls that's a whole day in it's self.

You really can't go wrong anywhere you go down there. I'm sad that we aren't going this year but can't wait until next year when we go. We first went there on our honeymoon and have loved it every since.

If you want anymore infor just send me a PM and I can tell you anything you want to know.

7. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

I 2nd the Cade's Cove drive. Stay in a cabin on a mountain for sure.....so awesome to wake up early and sit on the porch in the quiet! :) You must park and walk around down town to shop....its great but very crowded. Traffic is horrible!!

Have a great time....I am jealous!

8. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

Our kids love Ober Gatlinburg...it is a ski area in the winter but has an alpine slide in the summer. You can get an "all day" pass. Ours love it. They have ice skating indoors also, so you could even do both activities and really wear them out. Actually my husband and I love the alpine slide too...

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We had breakfast the morning after our wedding at the Old Mill in PF, it was awesome. Then we spend a few hours walking around all the little shops in the area. I have pics somewhere of a sweet little duck too, she had a nest and was sitting on her eggs right at the corner of one of the little shops...people walking by her all day long. Shop owners said she was a good duck...LOL!

10. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

I love going to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I think a must is to go White Water Rafting, we took our 3 year old last year and he loved it. When he gets older we will go back and do the next level! Dollywood was great we had a blast so much to see and do, didnt really like the water park tho. The strip in Gatlinburg is great for shopping and they have a ski lift that you can ride for a nice little break. Pigeon Forge is just a hop away and they have tons of shops and places to eat. We did the apple barn but just got homemade ice cream and breads! But have known people that have eaten there and love it. The Dixie Stampede was a great show and they have tons more!! We stayed in a cabin the first time we went, a hotel the second and then the third time we stayed at Riveredge campground in one of the cabins.. All have been great! Have a good time and enjoy!

11. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

The last time that we went to Gatlinburg, we stayed in a fabulous cabin by Sleepy Bear Cabins! Loved it!!! It was a secluded cabin that has a river behind it and a beautiful mountain view!!! hot tub on back deck!!!! awesome!!!!!

12. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Ok, you must eat at the Dixie Stampede and bring your hand sanitizer since you have to eat with your FINGERS!! LOL It is a blast though and the show is too cute! http://www.dixiestampede.com/

We did not care for the Ripley's belive it or not part... they were just kinda boring to us and nothing extra special! However, the Aquarium was nice!

There is a really cool brewery/restaurant called the Smoky Mountain Brewery and we enjoyed eating there and watching how they brewed so many beers. We are not really big drinkers at all, but my DH got the special were they give you a small glass of all their brews and that was pretty neat.
    http://www.smoky-mtn-brewery.com/

As for the Apple Barn - the Shopping is great for all your jams and neat stuff! (I LOVE CHRISTMAS STUFF) There is a beautiful place that sells grandfather clocks and I can not remember the name of the place, but you should go in just to look!

13. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Ooooh, my hubby and I are thinking of going there for our 5 year anniv. You have to tell me where to go. I'm thinking you and I are on the same page so I know what you like I will probably like :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

14. mom2~1boy

mom2~1boy Guest

Plus they have a huge scrapbook store in Pigeon Forge you will LOVE!!!

More more thing do the helicopter ride over Pigeon Forge its awesome!!

15. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm sold. We're going to Gatlinburg.....LOLOLOL

16. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

We really enjoyed Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Just got back a few weeks ago.

Stay in a cabin, more than likey, if you look around, you'll find one cheaper than a hotel anyway. Start with vrbo.com, and search.

Shoneys sucked, so did Krystal burger (and I was very dissapointed b/c I remember them so fondly) but we enjoyed the Great American Steak and Buffett.

Cades Cove is a nice day trip, but plan all day, take a picnic, and bathing suits for the ride back. You can stop on the side of the road and swim in the creek.

Park in Gatlinburg and walk the shops. DH tried the hottest hot sauce known to man, and loved it. I bought Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Peanut Butter.

Great place to go alone or with kids.

17. sheblondy

sheblondy Well-Known Member

I agree with the Old Mill. Linebergers Seafood and Maxwells in G'burg are both awesome restaurants. Bennetts has the best bbq I have ever had ! Highly recommend the Horseback riding in Cades Cove. Its only $25 for an hour ! I guarantee that I have been to G'burg atleast 20 times, with my family growing up and now with my DH and our family. The most memorable experience I have ever had is going to see the Outdoor Play in Cherokee. It is called Unto These Hills and is a true and authenic show. A must see for the entire family! Please check it out. I would not recommend any of the Ripleys things. One of the best, relaxing drives I think there is, is going thru Roaring Fork Road, thru the mountains. There are alot of hiking trails and original homes from the 1800s. There are so many things to do in Gatlinburg that you will NOT be dissapointed. Hope this helps. www.gatlinburg.com has alot of useful info and you can order tons of brochures !

18. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have received a ton of brochures already. And I remember a few places from when I went before. Can't wait to go back!!!

19. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

My wife and I actually got married there 15 years ago in the Little Chapel of Love. We go back every two years (alternating between there and Myrtle Beach. So here is my take:

If possible stay in a cabin or chalet. Most have clean linens, kitchens, game rooms, cable,
    hot tubs etc. Not to mention the view.

Food, my wife is very picky so we only go to places that are somewhat unique and different, as well as good. So definetly try the Pancake House in Gatlinburg, it gets crowded fast so go early. If you are into donuts and coffee, try the Donut Friar (you will smell when fresh donuts are baking). The Apple Barn in Sevierville is our favorite, then
    stroll down to the candy, ice cream, bakery or gift shop. We also likes Linebergers Seafood.

We try to do Dixie Stampede every couple years. You get a show in the saloon, while you are waiting for the main show to start. They serve dinner in the arena, you choose to sit and cheer for either the South or the North.

My wife loves the Christmas Store in Pigeon Forge. We also like Christus Gardens in Gatlinburg. You have to ride the tram up to Ober-Gatlinburg (plus your ticket/stamp is good for 2 days). There is alot to do at the top (ice skate, go carts, bungees and alpine slide)

Hope this helps, most of this is on the web...

http://www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/attractions/