Water Main Break - Cleveland Community Affected: UPDATED - BOIL WATER ADVISORY LIFTED

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

A construction contractor broke a large water main on NC 42 near I-40. An area of the Johnston County water system in the Cleveland community is temporarily out of service for isolation of the break and to allow repair of the main.

Water service should be restored by late afternoon. All customers who have water service interrupted will be under a boil water advisory until a later notice is issued.

For further information, please contact Johnston County Public Utilities office 919.989.5075.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Has anyone got any specifics yet on the area involved?

3. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

Well I only know since I was about to get a pedicure at Fancy Nail and they were getting ready to fill up the tub and there was no water. I have water at my house off Cleveland Rd.

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Is boiling necessary with a water filtration system like Culligan?

5. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

Does it filter water for the whole house? We have one for the refrigerator water, but I think to be on the safe side I would still boil the water.

If you haven't run the water, how would you know if your service was interrupted? I wonder if the schools were affected? Don't they normally release the students if they don't have water?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  6. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Well-Known Member

the utilities dept was making calls earlier.

check your caller id when you get home...
    if they called, you were most likely without water.

smithfield number.... 989-5075

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I had a msg on my phone, but I have water...:hurray:

8. N Dalton

N Dalton Guest

Water Main Break

Hi!

I just called and Pleasant Woods Sub Division is NOT affected by this.

Hope this helps a few people.

NWD

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

10. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Cracker Barrell was only serving bottled drinks tonight. No iced tea, coffee, fountain drinks, etc. Greg, the manager, advised they were having to boil all the water for recipes that required water. He further advised that the health department had to test the water 3 times over a certain period of time and get clear results before the alert is cancelled.

11. colinmama

colinmama Guest

Bummer....wanted to eat there tomorrow morning but no coffee and no fountain drinks :cry:

12. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Mine's on over by Coats veggie stand, but coming out rusty looking.

13. seabee

seabee Guest

C-LO better to be safe than sick I don't think the culligan man takes care of bacteria.

14. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Just spoke again with the emergency information persons 989-5056 and they contacted the on call person for JoCo public utilities and the boil advisary is for those homes West of Cornwallis to the Wake County line. They have flushed the system with Chlorine and the boiling will remove any residual.

15. smallone

smallone Well-Known Member

Spoke with the man at the JoCo emergency # 919-989-5056. He said for my area, Glen & CSR, it is a optional boil advisory until 7pm tonight.
    Wanted to share.

16. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Johnston County Public Utilities advises that the boil water advisory for the water system in the Cleveland area of the county has been rescinded. The advisory was issued on Friday, October 10, due to a water main break which caused loss of system pressure in this area.

For further information, please contact Johnston County Public Utilities at 919.989.5075.

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

The wonders of being on a well.

Craig

18. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Yeah? When was the last time you had your well tested? Not trying to worry you, just asking.

19. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Maybe because I'm on a well and the fact that my water is not directly being pulled from the sewage laden Neuse River the chances of bacteria are slim to none.

Or maybe because I'm on a well that isn't so full of chemical water treatments that I can live with a little bacteria in my system without getting sick.

Now in all honesty as to the last time I had my well tested would be never since I moved in 7 years ago. Now as to how often I could get it tested, would be about every 3 months or so that they stop by trying to get me hooked into some water filtration system for this that or the other by offering the free testing.

Incidentally I do have the following installed as a whole house filter system, and have since the house was purchased.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100076639

Craig