Trimming Toenails

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by elims, Dec 3, 2008.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I need to save money any which way I can ... so I'm thinking about trimming and filing my dogs' toenails myself. With Willow's bleeding disorder, I've always just taken them to be professionally trimmed.

Has anyone used any of these new products like you see on TV? "Pedi Paws" (I hear it's loud ... that the sound can frighten or tense up an animal, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge or experience) or there's another ...

Thanks!!

2. Some posts ago someone said they take their pets to someplace that only charges 5.00. I know my vet charges 10.00.

I am not too sure about that pet trimming thing. I think it would freak Laila out

3. FrameMaMa

FrameMaMa Well-Known Member

I bought the Pedi Paws thing.
    I will let you know how my girls react to it.
    It is not very loud.

4. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

You may want to go to PetSmart and get some styptic powder to have on hand just in case you quick a nail. It will stop the bleeding immedately (if its a really bad quick, you may have to apply it a couple of times..) Also be careful about getting them really short and then letting the dog run on concrete or taking them for a walk on the road. If they pull on the leash or run and dig their nails in it can cause them to grind down just a little more and if they are already really short, it could get to the quick and make them bleed.

5. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Pedi Paws

I was at BJs in White Oak tonight and they had the PediPaws thingy for $17.99. It is back where the dog food and treats are on the left side of the store.

6. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

We bought the pedi paws and there is a cd in there that walks you through the process and tells you to get them acquainted with it first so they dont freak out. It has worked for us. Good luck!

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

My babies would freak out if I used something that made noise on their toes. I take mine to their vet and its $10 each. I do know that Critter Country does it for $5...don't care much for the guy groomer...he's rough. The girl is better.

8. le

le Well-Known Member

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I took Shelby where ever I could but she became VERY uncomfortable and skiddish so I didn't know if she'd bite someone, after the last *episode* I started doing it myself with clippers, I just cut a little bit off each time after I gave her a haircut & bath. She was too busy licking herself after the bath to notice what mommy was doing. :lol:

10. Sassygurl81

Sassygurl81 Well-Known Member

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

We bought and have used the PediPaws for one of our dogs. She was not bothered by the sound, which is not that loud. It was probably the best at-home nail trim she has gotten because we did not have to worry about cutting to close. It seemed much less traumatic for her, too.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Agree, my wife recently purchased the unit and we did not have any of the normal trauma involved in the nail trimming process.

13. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear good things about this because we bought one for our doggies for Christmas. SHHHH don't tell them!:mrgreen:

14. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

We have the PediPaw as well. One dog is fine with it, the other peed on the floor as soon as I turned it on. :lol:

15. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

great - i just bought one of those - i'll get the paper towels before i turn it on...lol

16. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

I research and read reviews on everything, if I can, before I buy. Now that said... the PediPaws got pretty bad reviews on Amazon. According to one reviewer once the sandpaper has been worn down, you can't replace it and are forced to buy a whole new unit. That's ridiculous, and because of that alone I wound up getting this, for just a few $ more, instead... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000302Y1

It came today. The battery is charging. I'll let y'all know how it goes soon. :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  17. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

I've seen replacement heads at Walgreens. Maybe the person just didn't know about that.
    Let us know how your new dremel works for you.

18. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

You can get 10 replacement heads(files) for the Pedi Paws on Ebay for under 12.00.

I'm going to buy one - Jean S (Bark and Bath) takes care of the 3 bigger guys, but that little ****, Frankie is not cool with anyone but me handling him (little dog syndrome) what can I say - when you rescue, you tend to adopt some of the critters no one else would ever consider. Anyway - he's part LH Miniature Dachshund and has those dark black talons that curve under so you have to so darn careful not to cut the quick and he's a squirm worm - so I always bathe him myself in the sink. The Pedi-Paws will be worth a shot. Will let you know how it goes.

Oh, the **'d out word rhymes with word and begins with a T - silly censor - I wouldn't use a dirty word to describe my beloved mutt :)

I have a regular Dremel, but it doesn't have a guard like the Pedi Paws unit has, so Ready, be careful with the Dremel - they have a lot of power and while they are the same premise, without a guard to control how much you are taking off, you can get carried away FAST! Try it out on your own nail - like a toe nail to get an idea of the pressure to use before you use it on your dogs. Professional groomers and vets - and nail techs use dremels, but they are taught how to use them and do it the first couple of times with supervision when training.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  19. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Glad to hear people have had good results with this. I also asked our vet about it and she said they worked, but just take a little longer than clippers. We had been considering getting one of those, so looks like we will since most have had good results with it.

20. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

One of my dogs has claws that I swear belong on a bear's paw. They're thick and solid black - and right now they're so long that I don't think I'll have any problem trying the Dremel out without hurting him. I'll be sure to take it easy and will let you know how it goes. If I hate it, I can always return it -- or give it to DH for Christmas. :mrgreen:

Edited to add...

Couldn't stand it and had to try it out last night. So picture me sitting on the floor, after midnight, in my pj's, sanding away on Mr. Bear Claws feet. It worked GREAT on him! I made sure to just take a little off last night, and will continue to do it a little at a time so the quick will have time to recede. He hates having his nails clipped but he didn't mind me sanding them one bit either. Yeah! :hurray:

Sugar, on the other hand, ran away in fear after just hearing it being turned on. She's such a fraidy dog. :roll:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008