Stomach Virus

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Melynda, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

At around 4am this morning I was admiring the beautiful winter wonderland outside my window. I heard a little voice say, "Mommy". My sweet baby girl looked like an angel all snuggled warmly in her blanket. Just as I got close enough to touch her, my darling baby did a great impersonation of the exorcist. She lost her groceries everwhere. I stripped the sheets & blankets, got her changed and cleaned up ... just in time for it to happen again. I got the baby back to sleep & tossed the yucky laundry in the wash, just in time for the 6am call announcing a 2 hour delay. The call awoke my wonderful dear son who was soooo excited when he looked out of the window. Then he announced he wasn't feeling well. I was sure he had overheard the happenings with his baby sister earlier and was just looking for an excuse to stay home. It happens ... I was wrong. He too seems to be suffering from some type of stomach virus. He managed to decorate the floors, the kitchen stool covers & the sink with his recycled groceries ... Yuck.

I hadn't heard anything about a stomach virus going around. Both kids seemed fine yesterday. Hopefully they didn't spread a bug around to all the folks who attended the PTA meeting last night.

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Oh my - what a wonderful way to start the day! You have my sympathies.....hope it is a short-lived virus and that you don't catch it as well! :grouphug:

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Man, Melynda, we were sitting right next to you for a while last night!! Hope it's not too contagious, I was just thinking the other day that my family has escaped every kind of bug all winter long so far!

4. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

It has been through my entire family...awful stuff but it doesn't seem to last too long. Poor hubby tossed cookies for 5 solid hours and then had diarrhea for the entire next day. Lost 5 pounds in 2 days, and now he has fever blisters all over his mouth. Been sucking down Lysine and Vitamin C like candy but still got them. Pretty!

5. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

I had it this past weekend. It was just wonderful.

6. Sporadic2000

Sporadic2000 Well-Known Member

I thought I just drank too much this past weekend!:ack:

7. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Sounds more like food poisoning to me. Did you and DH eat the same thing they did last night?

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

YUCK Ya'll! :ack:

9. EngNCSU

EngNCSU Well-Known Member

My one yr old had this, then my husband & I got it. The dr. told us it was very contagious, which was true since we all had it. Luckly, the virus is short lived in adults, but the little ones take about a week to stop having runny diapers! GROSS!! Hopefully, everyone does get it!

10. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

My daughter and I had it a couple of weeks ago...very pleasant!
    It did not last that long, so that is the only good thing about it.

11. Melynda

Luckily, the kids seem to be doing better now ... except for Baby Girls diapers... P-E-W W-E-E, YUCK, YUCK, GROSS!!!!

12. Melynda

I'm hoping we didn't spread anything last night. It sounds like you've had a great winter so far and I would hate to think my little ones may have anything to do with spoiling that track record. Unfortunately, I was told at school that its going around ... Hopefully, your family won't catch it. Honestly, my son seems to be doing pretty well. Neither child ate much today. However, they both seem to be feeling much better than they did this morning.

13. Melynda

The kids & I ate Chick-Fil-A at PTA last night. I ate the same thing they did. DH ate out with friends. It sounds like a virus may be going around after all. I'm glad it wasn't food poisioning. DH had that once after eating a pretzel at the mall and he spent the evening in the hospital. He said food poisioning was horrible. The kids seem to be feeling much better than they did earlier today :)

14. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

atleast it didnt affect your team. :cheers:

15. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Well, I'm going away with my girlfriends this weekend, so if the kids get it, good luck to hubby!! As long as it happens after 2:00 on Friday, I'm good! I'll feel bad being gone while they're sick, but I've been with each one of them for 9 years while they're sick, I think he could handle it one time! :oops:

16. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I had this about 3 weeks ago....oh my gosh! I hope it doesn't come this way again!!

17. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

Just FYI,

As an ED nurse, I can tell you that we have been having a lot of people with the same symptoms in the ED for the last several weeks. Lots of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and cramps. Like an earlier post, it doesn't seem to last more that a few days. Try to give small frequent sips of water or gatorade to help prevent dehydration.

Best of luck,
    Karen

18. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

My son was sick with this terrible bug last Mon/Tues and shared it with me. I was sick for 3 days. It was awful! We also had a fever right in the middle of the time.

19. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

I had it--twice. It comes on so suddenly you think it's food poisoning. It's not, just a virus. Mine lasted a couple of days and then I was better. I spent an entire night with it coming out both ends (TMI?). I'm 8 months pregnant, so it wasn't a pretty site all around.