Lowes Foods and Green Points

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by NCGIRL, Feb 18, 2009.

1. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

I was shopping at Lowes Foods this morning and when I checked out the cashier asked me if I wanted to use any Green Points. When I told her no, she asked me if I was aware that Lowes Foods was planning on discontinuing the Green Points system by the end of the summer so the "don't use them loose them" thing. I was not aware of it and thankful that she told me as I have A LOT.

Just wanted you to know in case you were in the dark like I was.

2. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

that's stupid. that's the only useful thing from them. they are severely overpriced and all their "buy one get one free" signs are lies (all are really just half the price they tagged it for. even if you get one, it will just be half of what it says)

3. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

i like my green points- but what about the gas points?

4. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I'll be glad to see the system go. It was too cumbersome on the shopper to keep track of what you wanted to use your points for, how many points you have, etc. I would be much happier if they would just lower their prices and have regular sales with a regular discount card.

We definitely love their beer selection!

5. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

She did not say anything about the gas points. I will have to ask the next time I am in there.

6. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I've figured Lowe's Foods out. Their prices are very high, even with double coupons. I went Friday night and saved $84 but still spent $170. The same stuff at Walmart would have been much cheaper.

I do like their produce but their prices are crazy. $1 for a cucumber?!?

The rewards cards never work at the gas pumps anyway.

7. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I find this annoying too. You just have to type in your card number though and hit enter and it applies your credits. Annoying or not, it is worth the .15-.25 a gallon I usually save!

8. irishluck

lol yeah the crowd there is much better than walmart :mrgreen:

9. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Great to know as I have been saving mine as well, do they still have the lowes foods catalog of stuff you can get or is it only groceries now?

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Wow, that's good to know! I always use my points up, so they never accumulate. LF is too expensive for me, but since they're so close that's where I go when I need just a few things, and it usually adds up to enough for me to get some free things throughout the month, or some really cheap bananas or something...I wonder why they're doing that, and will their prices come down I wonder?

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

www.greenpoints.com

I would think once the greenpoints are yours, they're yours until they are spent. If not in the store, then on the S & H Greenpoints website. There are alot of online merchants that offer greenpoints for online purchases. Just register on the website using your Lowes Card greenpoints acct#. I have about 57,000 points and am waiting until I have enough to get something from the Greenpoints catalog that I want.

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. Thanks! I use my gas points every chance I get!

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I love Lowe's foods. I use my green points as they accumulate....never saw the point in saving them.....$5 or $10 off is welcome to me as soon as it's available. My card has always worked at the gas pump and I hope they continue with that incentive. Used it this morning, matter of fact, got .10 off the advertised price.

Their produce section is the reason I go, as Foodlion is LAME and WalMart's is horrible. They have an excellent organic section too.

Their prices are higher on a lot of things. BUT...it's like any other place, depending on what your family uses. The majority of all their cereals were 1.99 when I went in there the other night....that is cheap. They have the best selection of yogurt and cheeses and items you can't find in WalMart or Foodlion.

I do use Foodlion for meats and most staple items. I think I am equally loyal to both places.

I avoid Walmart at all costs.

14. lissa27504

lissa27504 Well-Known Member

:iagree: I always come home with a lot more there than I do at Food Lion or Walmart. Their produce is expensive but I've found it to be the best selection BY FAR and the freshest. Just my experience though.

As for the BOGO comment, most places charge you half price for each item...it's all the same in end, if you buy one item for $1 and the second item is free, it's the same as paying $0.50 for each item....still equals $1.

I had a problem with the gas pumps a few times but no problems recently. I hope they don't do away with the gas savings.....

15. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

I hate shopping at Walmart too but for some things it's worth it. I buy the International coffees at Walmart, where they just went down from $2.77 to $2.72. They just went UP at FL to $4.00!! That's $1.28 per can!

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You simply have to be a careful shopper. With Lowe's doubling coupons, I can do MUCH better there than at Walmart. Plus, their cashiers are generally friendly and helpful rather than the sour-faced cranky pants at Walmart you get for the most part. I'll take Lowe's anyday. Do I do all my grocery shopping there? No, but I pick and chose and buy what is on sale. Right now they have boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.79/lb. You won't find that at Wal-Mart.

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Exactly. Shop the sales, use your coupons, and the cashiers I come across will offer up what you can use your points for - very helpful. Your points are tallied on your receipt, just stick that in your binder for your next trip. There is also a seperate flyer available that is nothing but green point deals. Once you do this for awhile, you will know offhand where the best deals can be gotten - and yes there are things cheaper at Walmart, esp canned/dry good IMO. Check out Target too, 8 o'clock coffee is 4.29 there.

18. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I love Lowes meats as well, their kabobs are great and they always have the best prices on ground turkey (which by the way is cheaper and better than ground beef IMO). The one thing that drives me CRAZY about Lowes Foods is the Kraft Mac n Cheese, it states $1.99 ON THE BOX, but lowes is always $2.19 or higher. That cracks me up!

19. irishluck

walmart is the devil. in economics we talked about how it destroys small town america.

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Yeah, yeah. And in American Politics, you talked about how the Republicans destroy everyone's rights.

When I went to school we learned to investigate things on our own, not just believe whatever rumour was the thought of the day.