House Cleaning Advise

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gaylancsu, Feb 23, 2009.

1. gaylancsu

gaylancsu Member

I am thinking about breaking down and hiring a service to clean my house. My husband and I both work full time and we're both in graduate school and certain things are just falling by the wayside. I just have never looked before and wonder what I could expect to pay? Anyone out there do it or hire in a service? What's expected?

Thanks!

2. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

i think it all depends on how big your house is and how much you would like done.......like windows would be extra. one of my girlfriends has a great lady taking care of her house. i will check with her and let you know.

3. gaylancsu

gaylancsu Member

I mostly need basics... I'm going to close off the 2 other bedrooms... so 1 bedroom, living room, dining room kitchen and 2 baths... roughly 1400 sq feet do things like vacuum, sweep, mop, clean the bathrooms... maybe every so often hit the windows and such.

It really shouldn't be that hard to keep up with, I know, but I've got my head in a book pretty much any time I am home.

4. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

speaking of windows... or just cleaning in general. How often do people usually clean their windows or mop their floors or clean their toilets?

Just curious.:)

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Apparently not as often as I should!! :lol:

6. kookookacho

You hear that BS too from the Xbox brigade?:lol:

7. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

You are supposed to clean your windows.... :confused::confused: I thought that is what the rain was for :jester:

Mopping my floors try to do it once a week, often ends up being once a month. :?

Cleaning the toilet I do do once a week while the kiddos are in the bathtub

8. kookookacho

GOOD ANSWER in bold!!! :hurray:

Your routine sounds a lot like mine.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL!! Nope, just spent the weekend trying to shovel out my house. Good grief! :oops:

10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I only clean 2x a year:) winter and spring. Bathrooms maybe 8x a year. I have to really really really see the dirt before I will even consider wasting my energy! I do vaccuum everyweek thou.

11. gaylancsu

gaylancsu Member

I can vacuum and 5 minutes later it looks like it needs it again with people and dog tracking dirt in the house.

12. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

13. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

Windows :?::?: I just keep the blinds closed :lol::lol:

As for the other stuff, with my crew I feel like I'm doing it constantly! I'll mop once a week, but spot clean as needed, toilets once a week, downstairs toilet, every day, my youngest DS still hasnt gotten his aim figured out :?

14. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

bathrooms 1 x week
    living room dusted and vacuumed weekly - pick u p junk seemly like daily...
    bedrooms - weekly
    kitchen - dishes daily or close to it....counters and such - after i am done cooking.

no ---it is not neat as a pin. ... = teenagers

15. kookookacho

and yet ANOTHER winner of an answer!

You women are my kinda people! :lol:

You clean and you're a guy!? I'm impressed you even understood what type of cleaning we were talking about! BRAVO :mrgreen: :p

16. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

i have maybe washed windows 1 time since we moved in 6 years ago! i have never cleaned the oven. bathrooms every weekend, mop maybe 1 time a month if lucky.....i spot clean alot ;)

what do you hate doing the most?

i hate folding laundry!!!! gggrrrr!:banghead:

17. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Windows inside and out once a year unless it's to clean doggie slobbers.
    Bathrooms once a week.
    Vacuum and mop once a week. I use the steam mop about once a month to deep clean. Usually dust mop the wood floors a couple of times in between but should do it every day because of the doggie door. There are always little pieces of pine straw getting dragged in!
    Dust once a week, should be more often.

I HATE LAUNDRY

Used to have a housekeeper but that didn't work so well for me. I'm too private I guess.

18. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hey, DIRT doesn't discriminate:) We all get it whether we want it or not. Just depends on how we handle it!

19. sassy

sassy Guest

house cleaning advice

you were asking about the pay. you are better off to get a set price, that way it does not vary from each time. go over your house with the person letting them know what you want and then get a price. ask what is charged extra for. i have been cleaning houses for around 18 years. if you would like to talk with me you can email me at Dwrwhitman@aol.com.

20. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I don't mind actually doing the laundry nor folding it....I just hate putting it away!!!!