OMG - Second speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Well this time I have gone and done it folks. Got a second speeding ticket with in a year. As some of you folks remember I got a speeding ticket last summer heading west on 70, by the boys detention center. Got that all straightened out. Did the drivers ed thing and paid the fines and such. With that being said.

This morning I had to stop off at my mechanic on my way into work to tighten up a serpentine belt. I got on 70 in Selma at I-95 and proceeded to get up to highway speed. Got pulled over by a state trooper and got a ticket for doing 80mph.

Since this is my second ticket with in a year, both area going to end up kicking in. This time I think I may need to get an attorney. I know I will get a bunch of those letters in the mail. But I am hoping someone can recommend a laywer who can handle it.

Thanks in advance

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

With the investigation into DUI cases you may want to make sure any attorney will still be practicing when you need them. :cry:

3. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

I work with a law firm in Raleigh and we refer our clients with tickets in JoCo to Bob Denning in Selma. His phone # is 965-8184. Secretary is Amy. Good Luck!

4. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Narron, O'Hale and Whittington, P.A.102 South Third Street, PO Box 1567
    Smithfield, NC 27577
    T: 919-934-6021 F: 919-934-6280
    Visit: www.nowlaw.com

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Scott Johnson at the Mast Law Firm. Scott is part of the oldest law firm in Johnston County and he's as good as they come. His number is 661-2005, you can tell him that Jennifer Konkol referred you.

6. Rockyv58

Thanks all. IN the next couple of days I will start calling some of them. I think it will be cheaper to go with an attorney this time then to go to court and get the points the other ticket put on it and the insurance. Since the court date isn't till May 22, Hopefully any attorney I choose will let me make payments to them since I wouldn't be able to afford to pay them all at once.

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I second Bob Denning. He's been practicing in Johnston County for 20 years or so, and is well respected.

8. seabee

seabee Guest

you think a lesson will be learned now????

9. Had_Wynn

Had_Wynn Active Member

Yea DO NOT SPEED THROUGH SELMA ON ROUTE 70. The speed limit is 55mph not 65, or 70.

A very expensive lesson.

10. Rockyv58

You're right a very expensive lesson. I didn't even realize I was going that fast and I know I can not use faulty equipment. I wish I could.

11. seabee

seabee Guest

Only time will tell on if lesson was learned... I can talk junk... been there and done that years ago.. 2 within a year that at the time would've been a record run for me without getting one.

Got two in one day within 1.5 hrs of each other... speaking of young and dumb... I was the poster child of speeding... LOL... At least I can laugh now...

12. Rockyv58

Yea before the Ticket I got back in the summer, The last time I had a ticket was well over 5 years ago. And the thing is I know that stretch of road though Selma is 55. I really wasn't aware I was speeding till I was pulled over. I thought the state trooper was on his way to a call. I know I can not take the same class again.

When you got your two tickets in a row what what did you have to go through?

13. seabee

seabee Guest

well it wasn't here and it was quite a few years ago... paid the fines and moved on and kept getting them, about that time the state went to habitual offender, which one of the tickets I got I pleaded with the judge to keep license because my job reqired me to drive, so in turn of losing license he fined me 480 bucks and had to talk to 3 classes about it... :ack: I then started to learn my lesson... I was only going like 13mph over on that ticket.. Oh and I was on probation and warned another moving violation and she would have my a$$ back in her room and she would pull out the special gavel on me...

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct! :x

Sherry

15. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

what if you had a prayer for judgement on the first ticket..how does that come into play by getting a second one?

16. Rockyv58

I think it does. But thankfully I did not have to do a prayer for judgement this time. But since both times were 20 over I think it will negate the drivers ed class I took. I can only take the 20 over class once... I think ever.

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Honey, do you have *cruise control* on your car?
    JMHO, use it!

You get another one and we might not hear from you for a while! Know what I mean? :cry:

18. Rockyv58

The thing is HG is both times were are the same stretch of road that I bearly ever use and actually try to avoid. Both times were to save time. Usually I take business 70 (market street) to 210 to Cleveland school road. First time was to head out to the new section of 70 to get to Garner and today was to head out to Goldsboro to get to work. Both times were deviations from normal routine. Heck last time I got a ticket was over 5 years ago. Closer to 6 and that was in North Raleigh. When I worked out in RTP I never had to worry about watching out for speed traps. Did the same speed as everyone else. Very expensive lession to learn. I am still trying to get out to the Park. Went out to Goldsboro back in February of last year and have hated it ever since. I miss the Park.

19. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I have a feeling you've learned your lesson (I hope!). I give you props for admitting that you were speeding at least. You always here every excuse in the book for why it wasn't the person who was speeding's fault etc. and it is nice that you're just admitting you messed up and are going to face the crappy consequences. Good luck and take it slow. :cheers:

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm a two-time offender in a one-year period, too. I went for 18 years without one. In '91, I did almost the very same thing. Anyway, I've been using a Valentine One for about the last nine years. Its probably saved me many many times. However, dumb me...I wasn't using it when I got pulled last May going through a small town. The second one, back in November, I was tagged with laser.

My first ticket I got an attorney and it was money well spent. They reduced it from about 16 mph over to improper equipment. The second ticket was simply reduced from 70 in a 55 to 53 in a 45, which gave me two points on my driver's license but none on my insurance.

The nasty thing about laser is its pinpoint accuracy and its ability to pick you out of the "go with the flow" traffic. The downside for the law using laser is that they must remain stationary. This is where they often use "wolfpacking" and have one officer doing the speed measuring and other officers (usually around an overpass) will give chase down the ramp and pull you over.

You need an attorney's advise. They'll likely even attempt to get a reduction or a prayer for judgement. The one thing I've learned is never plead guilty. Let an attorney handle it.