Man Injured in Bicycle Accident - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, May 15, 2009.

1. seabee

seabee Guest

Update on a little info:

Tonight at Oakland Presb church close to DR. Wells

The Scout Leader will be there in the front taking any and all donations, I believe this is for the Scouts to donate but am throwing it out here also. Any cash whether $1.00 or 2.00 or more would be helpful, so if anyone is in that area between 7:00 - 8:0pm tonight feel it in your heart to help out.

Any help for this Raleigh firefighter will be greatly appreciated, there will be a long road to hoe.

Thank you... :grouphug:

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Any update on his condition? Hopefully he's recovering nicely.

3. seabee

seabee Guest

Its going to be a long road, he will more than likely have some extended therapy I think to re-learn certain functions, not sure when he will go home but when he does he will require full-time care for a period of time and not sure for how long. It is a long and slow recovery..

4. teach

teach Active Member

Hi all...I am overwhelmed with the outreach of our community. I am the wife of the accident victom. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

I first want to thank the gentleman who came upon my husband that night.

My husband is doing better. On Sunday night, he finally woke long enough to have almost a conversation with him. Today, they tried to give him a little food, but it was tough. He is very confused and doesn't remember anything. They should be moving him out of ICU tomorrow. Then, they say he will be in the hospital for a few weeks, then a long recovery.

WVES is also being awesome! They have a sub for me all week so I can concentrate on my husband.

The Raleigh Fire Dept has gone above and beyond as well. They keep a firefighter with him at all times in case the family needs anything. They are in constant communication and come and just sit with me in the waiting room.

Again - thanks to everyone!!!

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Our hearts and prayers are with you, your husband and your family Teach:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

6. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

It sounds like it will just take time. One of my husband's fellow officers was in a really bad car accident a couple of years ago and I saw how awesome and supportive everyone in the department was for him. They also always had an officer there with him at the hospital (at least for a while until he made it out of the woods). Firefighters and police don't make a lot of money, but the feeling of support and family in times like this make such a difference. I bet the department could probably even organize a fundraiser to help with any costs like they did for Scott. They had it at a country bar downtown and I think everyone just showed up and paid $5 and there was food and some limited drinks and it was just a nice get together to show support for their fellow officer. I'm sure folks can get that in the works for you guys too. I'd be happy to try and find a place to host such a gathering. Maybe even just the 40/42 crowd at CDH or something!

7. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Hang in there Teach! It sounds like you have an awesome support system! Sending prayers to you & your family!

8. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! My thoughts and prayers are with y'all.

I can't cook all that great but, I can bake up a storm. Is there any restrictions or allergies in your family? I'd love to make some Peanut butter cookies or Chocolate chip cookies. I can make a mean Banana Nut bread.

Red, let me know. :)

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Just a little update. He is going to be taken out of ICU and will now go to the rehab wing. GOOD NEWS!!! Let's keep praying for his speedy recovery and that he responds well to the therapy.

MN

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, great news, will definitely keep the family in my prayers

11. seabee

seabee Guest

Yep.... Now for some more hard work ahead for him... Re-hab... That will take some time and pain I'm sure.

Prayers are great... Thanks Red...:grouphug:

12. teach

teach Active Member

He's in rehab

He was moved to the rehab hospital (at Wake Med) yesterday. He will begin working hard!!! He keeps asking "what do I have to do to get out of here?" He still doesn't remember what happened and may never....He is confused about why he is at the hopsital. He remembers everyone that comes to see him and he has a little bit of his sense of humor at times! They expect him to be in rehab for 1-2 weeks.

thanks to EVERYONE for your love, prayers, and support. This "town without a name" ROCKS!!!!!!!! Love to all...

13. seabee

seabee Guest

Stay strong girl.... :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

14. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

Still praying for your family. :grouphug:

15. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

That is wonderful. I know having that sense of humor come back through must just fill your heart with joy. :hurray:

16. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

Wonderful News!!!! :grouphug:

17. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

So glad to hear he's improving. Rehab is a long, hard road. I'll be praying for courage and perseverance for you both.

18. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:grouphug:

19. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Will someone please PM the address again? I need to deliver dinner!

20. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Any updates to report?