SNAKE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, May 28, 2009.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Anyone know what kind this was. I've still got the heebie jeebies. :ack::ack::ack:

He's dead now, but we are having a conversation about what he/she WAS. :lol:

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I dunno ... but I like your last snake post much better! If I remember correctly... it was a little green one...

I've been googling images... what kinds of snakes do we have around here anyway? I think I've only ever seen two and one of those was a black snake. I don't remember what the other one looked like other than dead.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  3. nsanemom22

4. nsanemom22

5. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

6. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

It looks a lot like some we had near our pond last year. The ones at our house were harmless.

7. kookookacho

<<shivers>>.... I'm going to get me a industrial size container of moth balls to put out around the house. I don't like no snakes! :ack:

8. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

looks like a common garter snake, or maybe a brown snake no large glands on the sides of the head.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. harleygirl

10. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

This reminds me of one Saturday a few weeks ago. I was lounging on my front porch watching all the pretty birds at the bird feeder when this one bird just swoops down, lands and is opening it's wings and fanning them out. Stupid idiot me sits there thinking, "Wow, he must be trying to impress a female. That 's pretty neat. I just love nature." Then he starts making pecking motions and going toward my house, fanning his wings. Then I see why. He is after a big old black snake slithering along. I came out of that chair so fast screaming for my husband. He comes running out thinking I am being abducted and sees it go under his truck. We thought it went in his wheel well, but.....Oh no, not IT. It goes UNDER my house. Now, I know black snakes are generally harmless and keep the mouse population down but I REALLY don't like the "community" he has chosen for his home. Ijust really think it's not very conducive to his needs...............any suggestions?

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, please leave him alone. I promise he won't hurt you other than giving you a little fright. 8)

12. nsanemom22

What scares me most about snakes is that I don't SEE them! There have been a couple of occasions when I was told not to step in a certain place (a wooded area) because there was a snake there. I couldn't see it. They blend in so well..

There is a pond/swamp across the street from me... I KNOW they have to be in there!

13. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I won't bother him, that's for sure...LOLOL Someone told me once that if they can get under your house, they can get IN your house. My husband also saw on one of those discovery channel things that said snakes are guided by sense of heat and if a mouse finds a way in the house and the snake is homed in on him the snake can get in right behind him. Now, if all this is true........I'm movin.....

14. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I don't blame you one bit. I'd do the same thing!!! :ack:

There is a product called Rattlesnake Brand Sulfur that you can spread out around your house. I'm sure there are many brand names out there but basically it is just sulfur. They won't cross it (so I'm told anyway). I was also told that they won't cross the white lines on the side of the road but I see a many a dead snake in the MIDDLE of the road!

15. michelle

HG, you are much braver than I am . . . you were VERY close to that snake when you took its pic.

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

ok, have y'all read the thread about the dryer vent/snake stories.....:lol:
    http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=25106

17. harleygirl

It was dead. :mrgreen:

18. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Where is Craig, he's the one that usually knows all about these critters...

19. kookookacho

Yep on the sulfur stuff... according to my Bug/rodent man. But they told me that Moth Balls does essentially the same thing or the Moth ball crystal stuff too.

Your yard will smell like an old lady for a few days but your snake population won't be high. :lol:

20. michelle

Still too close for me!! I would have been taking the picture from in the house!!!