Mowing etiquette...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cycleman1979, May 30, 2009.

1. cycleman1979

cycleman1979 Well-Known Member

How early is too early to mow your yard in on a Sunday morning? I live in a subdivision and was hoping to mow before church tomorrow since the afternoon is full of other chores...my wife and I were discussing how early it can be done without peeving the neighbors. I'm thinking if I start after 9AM I'll be fine, she says 10. Opinions?

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

We were raised to never mow on Sunday.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't think I've ever cranked a mower on Sunday. Of course, I'm not going to imply that its wrong for others to do it. I just never felt it right to create that much noise on Sunday. If you are around any traditional neighbors, they may be of the same attitude. If you've gotta...I'd start around 8am I think before people start getting ready for Sunday School.

Just my .02.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

8:00 is my self imposed rule on Saturday. I don't know about Sundays.

5. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I'm not judging.........I've mowed on Sundays when absolutely necessary. As for the time, whether Saturday or Sunday I usually wait til about 10am.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I would say anytime after 9 (I believe that is when JC Noise Ordnance ends).

If you are near a church I would avoid doing it during service times just as I would near a synagogue on a Saturday.

7. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

9am on Saturday

Noon on Sunday

8. Crysta

Crysta Guest

My vote is 8am Saturday or Sunday, 6am Monday through Friday. I really don't think that a lawn mower is that loud. They're still building in our subdivision and no one complains when they start early.

9. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  10. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Don't give a hoot about anyone else. Mow when you feel and make hay while the sun is shining. I wouldn't care how early anyone mowed. Be glad I can hear and am alive.

11. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

IMO 9:00 am

12. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If you are mowing my lawn.... anytime is fine. For everyone else it is variable. Do you have neighbors that may have been out a little later Saturday night? If so a little later in the morning might be good. If not, your proposal should be fine.

13. Hoagie

Hoagie Well-Known Member

I mowed the lawn this morning. I started out to the garage @ 7:30am and cranked up the grinder and sharpened my blades and then was mowing by 8:00am. I have a little over an acre on a corner lot with 2 ditches. Takes me @ 2 hours to complete the riding part, another 30 with the push. My weed eater bit the dust and am looking for a good used one..... Ive never had complaints.

14. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

If I have to mow the lawn on Sunday or any day for that matter, I try to wait until 8am. I figure that my Neighbor’s don't seem to mind allowing there dogs to bark at 11pm at night, so I don't mind having to mow the lawn at 8am. :cheers:

15. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:iagree:

16. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

between 10 and 12. before the christians get home.

17. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I'll pray for your grass to die.

:jester:

18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Mow when you want! Lawnmowers are exempt.

Johnston County Noise Ordinance:
    http://library1.municode.com:80/default-test/template.htm?view=browse&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=tocid&doc_key=ba714711a797beba8797e0c64b426096&infobase=13494

19. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

:mrgreen: Now that was funny.:mrgreen:

20. seabee

seabee Guest

mowing etiquette???? Yeah right. I will mow my yard whenever I feel like it. If its 7 am its 7 am... I could care less about any etiquette on my lawn mower.

The only etiquette I will show is to walkers and if a car goes by I will not being shooting grass in their direction, I can pause for that short time and then mow again.