Mowing etiquette...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cycleman1979, May 30, 2009.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

exactly!!:cheers:

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I don't cut my grass till it's tall enough that I can't see the road, then I pull out the mower, chop it up and bale it.

And to hell with da neighbors and what they think.

:mrgreen:

Craig

3. michellegrl77

michellegrl77 Well-Known Member

LOL my hubby was mowing at 800 last night.

4. seabee

seabee Guest

been there done that... :cheers:

5. jokerswilds75

jokerswilds75 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree. No one knows what I did the day before or plans for later that day so it gets done whenever i have the time.

Not long before we are told when we can use the restroom.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, call me old fashioned. We were raised not to do manual stuff like that on Sunday. Even on the dairy farm, the cows got milked because they have to be, but other than that, field work was not done. I guess times change, but I think DH has only mowed on Sunday once in 20 years, because he was going out of town, and that was after lunch. As long as your neighbors don't mind, I guess it doesn't matter. As a rule, we don't mow on Sunday, period.

7. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I was raised the same way.. no cows though :lol: but DH comes from a family of "yard people"... cut it, prune it, sweep it, rake it... doesn't matter anytime is perfect.
    <----- NOT a yard person!

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Me either! I don't "do" flowers and landscaping, LOL. DH has often said that he'd love to have a farm with cows..................and I run screaming from the room! They are 24/7 365 day a year PITA!! LOL. Dairy cows anyway. :lol:

9. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

I absolutely LOVE cutting the grass and LOVE the smell of a freshly mowed lawn. Needless to say, I don't consider it work so Sunday's are a go. As for a time - only when it's light out. :cheers:

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As mentioned in another thread when I moved down from Wisconsin 30 some years ago we were popular as bartenders, but we still ran into some buttholes.

One Engineer I worked with never could make the adjustment. Jerry would just keep shaking his head and tossing out the example of his neighbor who saw him mowing his lawn on a Sunday afternoon. "This guy told me that he would be glad to help in case of an emergency but otherwise would have nothing to do with my family because I worked on a Sunday"

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the bible belt lol

12. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Guest

My $0.02

I would suggest 8:00 am on the weekends. In the summer, the time between 11:00 am and 4:00 pm is not good for outside work. So an 8:00 am start should get you out of the sun before 11:00.

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me. Before 8:00, it's usually too wet to mow anyway. I do applaud the OP for having consideration for his neighbors.

14. jokerswilds75

no sex either?

15. I HATE lawn mowers on Sunday. They are loud! Our next door neighbor mows his every Sunday like clockwork at between 2 -4 pm when we want to either take a nap or enjoy the serenity of a Sunday afternoon in our yard. No such luck! If it's not a lawn mover in the summer, it's a leaf blower in the fall which is even worse. I say if you have to mow it on Sunday, before noon is just rude. The afternoon still sucks, but if you have to...

There are many days I wish I lived way out in the country surrounded by my own land! Maybe one day!

16. I can't believe how many people said not to care about what your neighbors think. Now I know who I live next too! When we had a dog, if he ever barked too much I'd bring him inside. Even if my kids are too loud, I make them stop. Until I live far away from people,I am going to be considerate of my neighbors.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Some of us are home only two days a week, I have little sympathy for those who wish to lounge around while I am working.

18. jokerswilds75

I agree, I can't count the number of times I get up sunday morning and go use the restroom. I try and read the paper but all I hear is someone mowing. I need peace and quiet so I can be sure everything goes smoothly.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I want to be a good neighbor and in this case, I realize that I share space with other people. I'd prefer my neighbors respect my peace and quiet and I return the favor. Besides, I don't cut my own lawn. Its cut on the weekdays.

I will say one thing crazymom...at least your neighbors don't have problems from your lawn mower as apparent from your avatar. It would probably be the smell more than the sound that would bother the neighbors. :jester:

20. My poor husband is only home on Sundays and it's his only time to lounge around. He works from 7am - 9pm 6 days a week. I have lots of sympathy for him.