VBS - 2009

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Where are you taking your kids for VBS this summer? Any doing a daytime program? We went to the church by DR Wells last summer for a daytime VBS and it was AWESOME! I am hoping they do it again, but I have not seen anything on the sign out front and I keep forgetting the name of the place so I can't call them...

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Oakland Presbyterian Church. Kelyel may be able to tell you something about that.

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Does VBS have age limits? I saw a summer day camp that stopped accepting kids at age 9 and DS1 is 10½

4. KDsGrandma

Elizabeth Church will have VBS on Saturday, June 27, from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. It will focus on Gideon this year, and there will be indoor and outdoor activities, finishing up with supper (hot dogs, I think) at 5:30.

5. KDsGrandma

Elizabeth's VBS is for kids ages 2-12.

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

when is it KDs? and the times?

7. KDsGrandma

Didja miss my post #4? :mrgreen:

That's OK, here it is again:
    Elizabeth Church will have VBS on Saturday, June 27, from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. It will focus on Gideon this year, and there will be indoor and outdoor activities, finishing up with supper (hot dogs, I think) at 5:30.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to real Vacation Bible School where it lasted a week during the day and ended in a graduation ceremony - is that totally a thing of the past now?

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's what I liked about Oakland, it was only half day but still similar to what I attended as a kid.

10. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

Shiloh Baptist Church
    "Crocodile Dock"
    June 22 - 26
    6:45 - 9:00 pm

Kickoff party/registration
    Saturday, June 20 10 am - 12 noon
    (pre-registration is extremely helpful but not absolutely necessary)

Ages 3 years - rising 5th grade (I let the rising 6th graders join in if they need just one more year:) )

***Our middle and high schoolers volunteer

550-9268 with ?'s or to pre-register if you cannot make it to the kickoff

11. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

I would MUCH prefer to do it during the day but here are the problems:

1. many kids are in daycare during the day
    2. Most of my volunteers work

There is something very nostalgic for me when I think of summer and VBS. I have directed our VBS for 9 years and dearly love every minute of it. I spoke with another VBS director last week and really felt like it was a burden to her. It made me sad.

Come see us at Shiloh...we'll help your kids make memories.

12. KDsGrandma

It's hard to get volunteers to put in that many hours. A lot of Moms work outside the home now, you know. ;)

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

actually less Moms work outside the home than did when my kids were in VBS, it seems that way anyway with all the homeschooling and the stay at home moms i meet now compared to when my boys were little.

14. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

I wish VBS went all week as well. Much more opportunity for evangelism.
    Our VBS will be Saturday the 13th from 9a - 3p. There will be a closing ceremony @ 3.
    Ages 3 - 18

Hot dog and hamburger lunch, lessons, crafts, singing, and games.

Friendship Baptist Church
    416 Greenleaf Road.
    Angier (McGee Xroads area)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  15. KellBell

no, I think KD's right, there are more moms working. everyone in my department, 14, are working moms, heck every one of my girlfriends except a couple are working moms. I do not know one SAHM, now that I think about it. Church folks work all day too, there isn't enough manpower to do it like we did it back in the day. I loved me some VBS.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i was pretty much basing it on my neighborhood, there are quite a few sahm's there and when i was homeschooling my youngest son during his high school years i was maybe 1 of 3 out of about 50 in our group that worked and homeschooled, but everyone i worked with pretty much was a Mom too. Now when i was raising the older 2, nearly everyone one of us were working Moms that ran the football & baseball programs so i guess it depends on what we each experience. i have no idea the actual stats.

17. micmin21

micmin21 Guest

Turner Memorial Baptist Church will be having their VBS July 13-17. It will be from 6pm - 9pm. VBS at TMBC is the place to be! Join us each night as we have Bible study, music, games, crafts, snacks, and much much more! We have classes children starting at age 3 to those who have just completed 6th grade. This year out theme is "Boomerang Express". We are located on Hwy 50.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I did too. Obviously it didn't take hold.

Also, we had church camp when I was a kid, it was certainly a good chance for them to pump me with their message.

19. KellBell

I loved church camp too. Camp Caswell, Camp Leach (yes, there was and is a place called that). Chowan College held camps......ahhh, good memories.

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

what about girl scout camp, i loved that too. We used to go every summer up to Eagle Eyrie in VA to church camps, good times and then we had a youth leader that owned a house on Smith Mountain Lake, now those were really good retreats