Going 5 days with no sweets!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by crazymom2girls, Jun 7, 2009.

1. I figured if I put it in writing I've got stick by it! I'm a sugar-aholic so it might be brutal.

2. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

read an article about everything sugar is in today......interesting. i will give it to you. worth reading.

i have cut way way back......when i first did, the headache stayed for 3 days.

3. I know...I'm scared! I feel like I've had WAY too much sugar lately. My mom made a chocolate cake Friday that I've eaten over half of. Last night I ate Ben and Jerry's Cake Batter ice cream. Today I ate a cupcake and more ice cream! Not to mention, all the in between snacks. If I'm going to the beach the week after next, I MUST STOP! I'm also thinking of increasing my workout day from 3 to 5 this week. It will be tough but worth it.

4. CakePrincess

CakePrincess Well-Known Member

Join the club! I was a sugaralohic too and because of frequent headaches and other minor health problems, I decided to quit sweet and caffine for good. Went through a terrible withdrawal symptoms (headache, craving, etc) for several weeks and guess what? I felt so much better. My health is problem-free now. No soda, no cookie, candies, etc and boy, I have to tell you truth - it was NOT easy. I still crave for sugar, but I took care of it by eating healthy snack, like apple with peanut butter.

5. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

For me, I am convinced that sugar (and white carbs for that matter) are crack and that I need to go to rehab and participate in a 12 step program. :)

6. Now,no caffeine...I can't do that one yet. I LOVE MY COFFEE!!!!!

7. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

I cut out sugar and caffeine back in March. Did it cold turkey with the mentallity that it would be easier to do them both at the same time and just deal with it. I had headaches for about 3 or 4 days. Started eating "right"...portion control, lots of fruits and veggies, nothing fried or fast food and moderate exercise. I have lost 30 pounds. There really is something to be said about all the people that say it has to be a lifestyle change. It does not work with my life to work out 2 hours a day, 6 days a week and only drink protein shakes. I feel great for the first time in WAAAAAAY too long. In a moment of weakness a few weeks ago, I ate a Krispy Kreme doughnut that my "enabler" brought home....ie my husband. It made me feel sick and now I am totally not interested in sweets. A lot of this is mind control as well. My biggest problem is getting enough good calories to keep my metabolism going. Believe it or not I have to eat all day to do it...but it has to be the "good for you" stuff.

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I have believed for years that this is the best way to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Now if I could just get motivated to do it! I really admire you for biting the bullet and taking control of your health.

9. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Since we're all confessing on here, I'm a sugar/ chocoholic as well. It is horrible! I eat tons of fruits and veggies and so that really is not the problem. Just crave the sweet stuff. Only drink water/ milk/ or an occasional juice. No soda or coffee. But I just can't kick this stupid sugar habit. I ate a pile of those mini peanut butter cups last night. URGHH. Don't understand why I do it to myself. I walk each day but definitely need way more exercise and that part Im actually starting to do. However, the stupid sugar cravings are still there. Suggestions from those who've kicked it, let me know. I'm going to be paying attention to this thread for sure! Thanks to the original poster.

Stephanie--mom to 7

10. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

:iagree:

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Eh...........I don't do a lot of other "bad" stuff. I could eat more fruit and veggies for sure. But I'm not living without the occasional Reese Cup. 8)

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The worst job I ever had was at age 15 working in a candy store, by the time I quit 4 years later I about doubled in weight.

Side benefit, for a little while, was that I couldn't stomach grocery store chocolate for years afterwards (no comparison to real chocolate). The unfortunate part was about the time I quit there, I found out about alcohol. :?

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Sometimes it seems like we're set on self-destruct, doesn't it? :lol:

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yep, just waiting for the smoke to pour out the ears! :mrgreen:

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I just got this a few minutes ago in an email and thought it was appropriate. It's a JOKE people, so no one get all wrought up, I know it's a joke. :mrgreen:

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
    A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
    A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
    A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!
    Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
    A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
    A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
    A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! ..... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
    A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
    A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans ! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
    A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?
    A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.
    AND.....
    For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat
    and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    CONCLUSION:
    Eat and drink what you like.
    Speaking English is apparently what kills you

AND REMEMBER:
    'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Not giving up my sugar or caffeine any time soon. Though I don't really eat sweets so to speak such as cookies and candy and cakes. I do however drink a ton of soda, and my daily Red Bull on the way to work in the mornings. What I will tell you is that I prefer the Mt.Dew Throwback that is made with real sugar instead of the regular Mt.Dew that is made with corn syrup. The throwback just doesn't taste as sweet to me.

Now give me a dinner roll/biscuit and real butter or gravy to sop and I'm good for dessert, but that is a whole different health risk issue all together.

Craig

ps.....I'd hate to think about the weight I might loose if I did give up the crap, and anyone that has seen me can understand that.

17. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

just remember, when your trying to cut back on your sugar intake don't forget that the artificial sweetners cause you to crave sweet things as well. So, go without both. Studies show that your body gets use to the sweetness either way, with or without the true sugar.
    Good luck

18. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

It's not been an easy road. I check my weight daily to make sure I'm not messing up. there are those that say you should not check daily but it helps me stay on board. Plus, it is a real boost to start the day right and keep it right when I see a loss. This has been a real emotional journey for me as well. I feel like I am getting my life back and am so thankful. I am tearing up as I type. It's one thing to "love yourself" but it's a whole other battle to respect yourself. I'll be 41 tomorrow and I cannot tell you how good it feels to hopefully be adding birthdays to my life. Mama taught me to be thankful for every birthday God gives you....she's a 2 time cancer survivor. I finally realized I had to take control of something in my life that I had the "ability" to control. I still have 45 - 55 lbs to lose. That is a realistic goal. I'm 5'7". I don't want to be so skinny that ALL my skin hangs....just healthy. That will put me at about 150 - 160 for my goal weight. I'm good with that. The main thing I have learned is that you have to make the changes when you are ready to commit....plain and simple...no one can do this but YOU.

19. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

did anyone else see gma (i think) yesterday talking about the nba player called the candyman? he eats more sweets than anyone i have ever seen! was crazy!

20. Well, it's Thursday and still no sweets. No headaches either. It's actually easier than I thought plus I've lost two pounds! :) I just bought a new bikini so that gives me more incentive. Teeny weeny bikini.