WRAL's racist headline...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Loki, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Wow... just wow..

http://www.wral.com/news/local/politics/story/8471426/

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I saw that ****.

3. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

My initial reaction was that the headline isn't racist if it's factual.

But...the article doesn't mention that 17.5% (12,640) of the early voters were identified as other -no race/sex/party affiliation identified- so that gives the headline a possible variation of +/- 17.5% so it could mean almost ANYTHING.

I did find it curious that the survey summary as presented did not specifically enumerate black Republicans or Hispanics of either party affiliation; presumably they are included in the total for 'other'.

4. Racist?!?!

LOL

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:?: OK, maybe it's early, but what is "racist" about it? The looked at the numbers and it appears so far that the majority of the early voters are white men. And? So freaking what? It's racist becasue they used the word "white"?:confused: What else would you have white men be called?

6. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

:iagree: Just more drama

7. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Nevermind.

8. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

during elections there has always been statements that use terms such as:
    African-American (black) voters
    Hispanic (mexican) voters
    etc. etc. etc.

I think you read way too much into this. This was also on the national news on TV as well. I would take it as factual data collected. Would it have been taken better if they used the term Caucasian?
    Throw out the race card, it gets used enough gesh.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Think a little. They could have used a headline saying "Large Number of Republicans Come to Early Voting" or even Democrats coming out early but they had to emphasize "WHITE" in the headline. Giving statistical data within the article breaking it down is fine, but to throw it in your face is racist.

Also.. so many are white?!? Isn't voting supposed to be anonymous?

14,700 white males
    12,250 white females

26,950 white votes
    72,173 total votes

Only 37% of the vote is a majority?? what's the other 63% comprised of?

Caucasian(?)

Just for the record, I am not an extreme liberal or an extreme conservative nor a racist of any sort. I found this headline to be very racially motivated and to instill an uproar. Journalism at it's finest.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You are entitled to your opinion. I just don't think a lot are going to share it. You posting this thread is pot stirring in MY opinion.

11. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

It's called demographics. Anyone have a dunce smiley?

12. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Everything is racist now days. Everyone wants to play that card. Please get over yourselves.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ding ding ding!! Give the girl a door prize!

14. nsanemom22

uh! I thought it was a party hat! :jester:

15. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

I think it's sexist, too.

</sarcasm>

16. nsanemom22

17. For real.... :roll:

18. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

How are these for all those who have to be PC

Caucasian men casting early votes in droves
    European American men casting early votes in droves

:roll:

19. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

this was a brilliant piece of using absurdity to illustrate absurdity. see how absurd you all thought his "racist" claim was? about 99% of the time, public claims of "racism" are equally as absurd, they're just not made by white guys. kudos, OP. :cheers:

20. johnstoncogirl

johnstoncogirl Well-Known Member

I thought the person calling the headline racist was joking, but then read the actual thread and it appears they were not. If that is racist -- to correctly identify a group of white men as white -- then what the heck isn't racist? And regarding the comment about voting being private, it still is. The article didn't tell who the white men voted for and I am sure some voted "D," some voted "R," and some voted "L."