Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Thank you Tator!!

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

If you want to make an argument, please provide relevant, statistically comparable data for comparison. That kind of data that is science based, not conjecture is needed, has been requested, and is MIA.

The school board has no interest in proesenting arguments against this. They can only point to two formerly failing schools and say that they think that there will be positive effects by making this choice.

Let me quote a minor known philospher in the media, Rod Tidwell. When asked what a potential agent representative needed to do to earn his business, he was quite eloquent, yet brief.

"Show me the money"..or in my case...that data.

FWIW, the study in Hawaii was of public schools in Oahu, serving military bases. No doubt the increased interest by military parents in their children's success made a positive impact. ( As a military brat and a military parent, this was part of the code...and I ask that any military brats whose parents were apathetic about their activities correct me if I'm wrong.) By that same token, the apparent difference in demographics with West and South Smithfield would appear different.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

There are three main questions I was taught to ask with regard to bureaucracy.

1. Compared to what?
    2. At what cost?
    3. With what evidence?

I'd like to have those three answered .....if it's possible.

4. ncgal

ncgal Well-Known Member

Do you think a week of 1/2 day remediation is going to make up for 9 weeks of falling behind? That is if they will get participation. From the research that I found participation was generally low, especially in for the most at-risk students. Add that to not providing transportation and I think the numbers will be lower.

I have been advocating Johnston County to provide more appropriate curriculum and services for children with learning disabilities to no avail. There is countless research on a curriculum (Orton-Gillingham based.. ie Wilson, Barton, O-G) and implement it correctly that works. Currently some schools use it but most do not because the teachers have not been trained.

Why not spend the money on something that is proven to work instead of wasting it on changing an entire calendar for all children?

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Thanks for asking this....when I originally brought this up two nights ago, I had assumed I had misunderstood this part due to its ridiculousness.

If it is indeed true that this remediation is only going to be for a half day over the course of a week, then it's obvious this is just a farce excuse to altar the teachers' schedule for what they deem more convenient.

There is no sane individual that can be convinced this week of half days can bring anyone up to speed.

6. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

My point was not to "stand up and growl". The issue is that parents don't get a chance to openly discuss issues with this proposal they may not be aware of. By making the education sessions "listen only" the staff can spin the message in their favor while glossing over serious issues. I'm sure they will get lots of YES votes if the only information being disseminated is in favor of the change. What is reasonable is to allow parents time and a venue to have this open discussion.

7. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

Agree 100%. The problem with many of the low-performing students is the guidance they receive at home. Some parents really don't seem to care if their kids are doing homework or even receiving failing grades. Do you really think they are going to take the time away from work (or whatever they are doing) to drive these kids to intersession? Doubtful. I don't see a calendar change fixing this issue. Instead, it will certainly disrupt family schedules for lots of kids who don't need remediation.

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Thank God for Catholic schools

9. EERSFAN

EERSFAN New Member

Parents need to step up to the plate!

If only parents who commented on this worked in the JCSD, and saw what goes on with remediation on a DAILY basis. Many of the kids who "fall behind" each nine weeks don't have parents who care enough to make sure they get it. Of course teachers are supposed to teach your children, but in this day and age, it is the parent's responsibility to continue teaching it at home as well. Many parents dont even check their kids papers, or homework nightly to see if the kids even understand what is going on in class. It is time for parents to STEP UP TO THE PLATE!!!

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

couldn't agree more

11. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

12. Hatteras6

My wife teaches here. I volunteer at school often. And I couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

Because the powers that be choose not to provide data or a meaningful discussion about this it comes across to me as something the higher ups wanted to try.

Their push for this seems to target a small subsegment of student population, oriented to getting every student geared up to pass a test, designed to be reflective of the school's ability to teach.

Given that the process has been as closed as it has, and apparently will remain, that no meaningful discussion has taken place, nor is likely to do so, I can't support this.

And it's something we need to remember when it comes to election time. regardless of what party or affiliation the school board members claim.

There are so many media outlets for the board to be able to use to generate discussions that it's pretty pathetic that the only media expression was their spin on this. The one time they spoke to the media, they were on message, and then haven't commented, especially in light of the dissatisfaction that is apparent.

Shame on the reporters whom I contacted who didn't seek to get both sides of the story. Sbraccia really dropped the ball on this one,. but then again, if you're a talking head, versus being a real journalist, you really only care for air time, not the facts of the story.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

This is what I have been saying all along. Sadly, for some parents school is nothing more than free daycare.

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

<- Sunday bag checker, too. We take the weekends off, just like we take off the summer. :cool:

15. Paula P-F

Paula P-F Guest

August 2th start date

To the poster who previously asked about why we have the August 25th start date:

According to NC Law, on the 10th day of school, a population count is taken. They use the number of students who have SHOWN UP for school by the 10th day (not just enrolled, but actually have been physically present) to determined final teacher allotment for the school year.

In most of the Northern states, school doesn't start until after Labor Day. Back when we started mid-August, the 10th day was held, teacher allotment was made, and then the 2nd week of September, each school would gain 20 new students who moved to NC from another state. That's another teacher that was needed, but the school couldn't get it because the population count had already taken place.

With the August 25th date, the 10th day doesn't fall until after most of the newer students have already moved.

Paula

16. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

The reason for the Aug. 25 start date is because Sen Basnight was losing $ at his Nags Head restaurant when schools started in early August.

17. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I agree with this to an extent, but my concern is that (since the biggest issue REALLY is whether students pass the EOG tests, NOT whether they learn and can apply the material) what may happen is the children who need remediation get that remediation during the intercession periods AND during the regular class time. It seems unlikely that the teachers will not be attending to children who are falling behind on a day-to-day basis rather than waiting several weeks to work with them during the remediation time.

I have a middle school child and an elementary school child. The elementary school child receives services at the AIG center. I am waiting to hear more about whether or not that will continue (as the financial situation changes). The unfortunate thing is that most resources are channeled towards making sure that "no child is left behind" while the children who do excel or could excel are generally under-served. I realize that the AIG center is a valuable opportunity, but it may go by the wayside in the near future due to budget cuts.

The bottom line is this: We are talking about a population of children. If we look at the bell curve, then 68% of children will fall within the "average" range, or within the middle. Moving away from the middle 68% we have 14% of the children in either direction, or one standard deviation above and one standard deviation below the mean (or average). Then on the two "tails" we have the top 2% and the bottom 2%. Just as the top 2% cannot always be given ample opportunities for growth in the public school setting and parents must step up to the plate, the same applies to the bottom 2%. Unfortunately, with "No Child Left Behind" the normal bell curve is obsolete and is skewed completely, so that in essence, "average" is now expected to be an "A" or "B" grade and there are no failing grades because that's not allowed. Unfortunate. That's not real life.

Anyway, just thought I'd add a thought or two. I plan to go to the parent meeting tonight at MCES and we'll see how that goes. I saw that the note sent home (last Friday afternoon) said that we should have written questions for the meeting. I'm not even sure what to ask yet, so I'll just listen.

18. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

You guys can't be uninvolved parents if you're checking bags at all. Give yourselves SOME credit. I'm a Monday morning bag checker after the weekends. Slack, huh?

19. Crysta

Crysta Guest

So apparently they have started the parent information sessions.

East Clayton Elementary had one tonight and is having another on March 15.
    http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/school/school.php?sectionid=650

Four Oaks Elementary is having on this Thursday night.

Polenta Elmentary is having theirs on March 10 and March 15.
    http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectionid=660&

I didn't look up any of the others, but I'm sure that they will be held sometime in the next two weeks, so you might want to start looking out for them.

20. Hatteras6

I rec't this from a Polenta parent.
    Our parent information nights and surveys will be completed as follows:

Thursday, March 10
    Information in Academic Enhancement Calendar. Parents will be provided with information on the calendar, Johnston County school data, and an opportunity to write down questions that will be answered at the next information meeting. This meeting will address general questions that were submitted in advance of the meeting. my emphasis here...the 3-10 meeting is part of the PTA meeting, and will be the last item up. From the notes section, it appears that a discussion and presentation of this magnitude is provided a grand total of 30 minutes.

Tuesday, March 15
    Information meeting. Same information as presented on marrch 10th, with additional questions being answered.

Wedensday, March 16

Survey will go home to parents and w3ill be die back to the school March 23rd. The surveys will be color coded by grade level so we will have a count of the interest at each grade level.

Please forward any questions that you have, prior to our scheduled meetings to deborahpjohnson@johnston.k12.nc.us or return the slip below. The information sessions are not open forum for arguing points and I want to address as many questions and concerns as possible. Remember, the survey is being completed to determine our interest. The Board of Education will make the final decision on APril 12th, based on our interest as to when and if we would go to the Academic Enhancement Calendar.

Thank you for your support,
    Deborah P. Johnson, Principal.

I would like to present the principal with any and all questions that Polenta parents might like to ask. If time is a constraint, I would hate to see that precious time being spent reading the same questions over and over. SO, if you have a question you would like asked, feel free to PM it to me. I will not provide your name or signon info, unless you wish it. If you do not advise me of that, no names or signon info will be provided. It seems to me that many of us have the same or similar questions. I think it would be better for all if we wer to be able to present as many different questions as possible ahead of time, so they can be addressed. I will try to lump the questions together, so that it will be easier to follow.

Again, this is for Polenta families. I will post the responses received on here as soon as I get them. I will be attending both meetings, and if no one is going to take notes, will record the meeting so that I can transcribe what was said.