Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

This is a great idea. Kudos to the person(s) who put together a flyer to hand out to the parents at ECES tonight (Title: Some questions to consider before voting for the proposed year round calendar...). The flyer outlined a lot of the issues the school system is glossing over. As expected the meeting at ECES tonight was very much a pro-change pep rally for the year round calendar. Providing parents with a written list of opposing viewpoints and questions was very much needed!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  2. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

Cooper is scheduled for Monday, March 7. Not sure yet if they will host a second meeting.

3. Sitting in for my wife.
    Went to the ECES meeting last night.
    My impression sitting in the crowd is that if you are against it now, you'll be against it later, no matter how much time we are given to absorb the change. This, in regards to the "This is to soon" complaint.
    I can only speak for my family and my thoughts on the proposal. I fully understand the impact on other families, but am looking after my own first.

We are 2 working parents. We pay for child care regardless if we pay for it in the summer, or in 9 week intervals, or however the schedule works out.
    I am looking at this as an opportunity to consider for my AIG child. Although the specifics were not all there in regards to the "enrichment" classes to be offered during the remediation weeks, I am now interested. I would much rather have my children in a learning, stimulating setting that may benefit them , than the normal daycare/summer camp options that are being used by my family at this time. Quite honestly, if it were not for the transportation and lunch issue, I would be in with both feet, if I were convinced it would benefit my children.
    While I understand that this change is really not meant to help the ones who do not need it, if I can find/see a benefit for mine, I will look and take advantage of it any way I can.
    My bet on this is that they will(if passed) have more teachers available for enrichment than they planned. It is my belief that many children that need the remediation assistance already have poor parental involvement at home and the turnout for the classes will be poor if the school is not providing transport. If so, then the benefits for mine may become more desirable.

For me, this is the first thing on the list to consider. How it may benefit, or, Can it benefit my child.

Next is finances. How much will it cost me and is it worth it?

Way down the line for me is, How disruptive to my family will this be? There are constant changes going on in my household so having to adjust some day to day schedules is just part of life for us.

This is most certainly not a proposal for all. Again, I am just giving my own selfish take on it.

I do look out for the village, but my hut comes first.;)

Irish

4. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I went to the meeting last night at MCES. It was an ok meeting, but not much new information was provided over what was already known. You make some valid points in your post. Did you get any information at your school about what the "enrichment" days might entail? This wasn't discussed much at the meeting at MCES, and truthfully, I hadn't given it much thought. So, that being said, I am open to any activities or experiences that might benefit my child. Remediation and intercession isn't appropriate for her, but enrichment activities may be, depending on what is offered. Any ideas?

Thanks.

5. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

There is something I want to throw in. Of the two schools that are currently on this new calendar, one of those schools initially voted overwhemingly against the switch. The central office administration found a way to say the results were skewed, sent out new surveys and . . . enough votes to go on with the new calendar resulted. South Smithfield parents at the time were very vocal and very much against making the change. So the administration will find a way to do what they want to do. They simply want us to "think" we are having a say.

Second, it is going around that the improved test scores from the two schools on this new calendar that the administration is using are from two years ago, that they actually went down last year. This is something I am hoping to get a clarification on from central office as it should be considered when we parents are mulling over and voting on this.

Plus, I want data showing how many kids that are targeted for the remidiation show up when there is no transportation provided. They tout how many go to the current schools in JC on this calendar, but don't point out that transportation is currently being provided to those schools via a grant. That grant will run out after next year and of course all the new schools that go onto the calendar will not have that grant money for transportation.

6. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I am curious to know the general thoughts on this cost for the "enrichment" opportunities during the intersession weeks.

As with an above poster, finances do play a large part of this two person working out of the home family (after the benefits to my child of course), my question is, is it going to be more cost effective than a typical daycare facility or summer camp that I have to pay for during the summer breaks anyway.

7. Resident

I believe that comparing the data from the two schools who are already operating on the new calendar to what the schools who may switch to the new calendar is going to be comparing apples to oranges. The two schools already using the new calendar were Title I schools receiving extra money for the purpose of improving their students' performance. They had nowhere to go but up.

I question whether many of the children who are selected for the intercession/remediation will actually attend due to the lack of provided transportation and the lack of lunch services (I assume, since it's finished at 11:30 am). So, what we're basically planning on is the very parents of the students who need extra help the most getting the kids there by 8:30, picking them up by 11:30, and providing breakfast and lunch on those days. Um, yeah... Comparing participation in THAT with participation for remediation students to two schools who provide all of those perks to the kids and their families? Hmmm. Sounds like a comparison that's not representative of what will actually happen.

8. momtofive

My kids don't go to daycare so personally, I'm not gonna pay the school for "enrichment" classes when I don't see that they'd be getting anything more than they do during the school day which I already complain about not being enough.

I really (sorry if this insults anyone - it's not aimed at anyone in particular, just a general statement) have a problem with people looking at this new calendar as how it will affect their daycare costs. We should be focused on how it will impact our children's educations, not our pocketbooks. If you think your child will benefit, speak out, support it and vote yes. If you think it will not beneift your child, speak out, oppose it and vote no.

9. momtofive

I really think for the most part that we are of one mind here. My only comment is that there are other Title I schools that are looking to make the change, so seeing test scores over a few years on this *enchanced* calendar is important. Otherwise, I agree completely with what you said here.

10. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Hi Mom, I totally agree with that! I did pose the question above about the costs as a consideration AFTER the consideration of the benefits to my child, my child is first and foremost. However I do believe this will be quite a large factor for alot of folks. I think we have to look at ALL (including financial) aspects of this before we can decide if we are for it or against it, that is my only point of the question. I don't think anyone should take offense for you statement however there are going to be alot of different viewpoints out there on such an issue.

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

from a Teacher/Mother (of 3) at the MCES meeting last night:

"I think that a lot of people are concerned about how quickly this is coming about. About 75 percent of the teachers and about 50 percent of the classified staff at MCES are behind it. I hope those numbers speak to the parents about the educational value of this calendar."

"they get 7 weeks off in the summer and it's the same number of school days. The only variable I can see as far as cost is electricity in the building. Intersession is a targeted and immediate way to address student needs, and it wouldn't affect every kid. I understand the child care concerns, but I feel sure that the schools and child care providers will work together for a solution. Teachers who work during the intersession will be paid from funds formerly used to pay summer school teachers. Summer school has proven time and again to be virtually ineffective because it is NOT targeted or immediate. We want to address teen drop out rate by improving reading skills early on so that students can feel more successful in school. This schedule can help us do that more effectively. It's really not about scores; they are often referenced because they are measurable. It's about teaching my kids to think and teaching the curriculum."

" as educators, we are responsible for educating ALL students, and the reality is that we are forced to pick up the slack for parents who don't always put their children first. I'm not sure if students will receive "credit" per say for intersession, but I know that working with students in a much smaller ratio can make a huge difference for them and their understanding."

"Our elementary school already offers an early morning care and after-school care program, so care during breaks will just be an extension of this program. The hope is that some of the kids who will need help will already be at the school for child care, so intersession attendance won't be a huge problem. But I know the parents you are talking about; I can't even get them to let their kids stay after school for tutoring. "

"The purpose of the calendar is to reduce summer regression so that we can use our time in the classroom to teach the required curriculum and spend less time reviewing. I'm not sure that shaving three weeks off the end of summer is going to have such a negative impact, but it will be an adjustment for everyone involved, community included."

these are just some of the points she makes that address a lot of what you all have been debating. Please DO NOT question me or what I posted (with permission), I was just putting it out there for informational purposes only.

12. Resident

Thanks for posting this. I must have missed this last night. I had to leave at 8pm though- had to get back to gets my kids ready for bed and pilfer through their bookbags. :/ Of course if the person made these statements before 8pm, then apparently I have some severe attention deficit issues. (I wouldn't rule that out though.)

13. KellBell

you're welcome. :)

14. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

All valid points. At ECES last night the principal from South Smithfield mentioned the test scores did go down last year. Nobody really called this out a major finding, but I think this is a serious chink in the armor of argument supporting the new schedule. Maybe the improvements are not as glamorous as they are making it sound (still looking for reliable data to support the claims).

Regarding transportation to remediation sessions. Yeah, good luck with that. If the parents don't care enough to ensure their kids are assimilating the material throughout the year, are they really going to take the time to drive them to school and pick them up mid-day during intersession? At title one schools the participation will be worse than others (pay attention Cooper). Too many holes in the logic to support the change. Folks, just wait. If this thing goes through we will be following in the footsteps of Wake County very shortly. Not exactly the example we should be modeling our school system after...

15. Still in for my wife.

The costs mentioned last night a ECES for the "pay as you go" during the weeks off time periods for the full day of enrichment classes was $2.50/hr, per student.

Irish

16. KellBell

But it's not multi-track, and the schools will continue to be community-based.

17. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

Community based - Yes.

Not multi-track? Not sure I agree.
    If you have more than one child on different schedules then, in effect, you are on multi-track. This is the situation a lot of families with children attending both elementary and middle school will be facing. Despite what the school system is telling you, there are significant conflicts between the two schedules. There are 46 school days where one child will be in school and the other will not. If that's not multi-track then it sure has the characteristics of it...

18. KellBell

I would think if this passes in the elementary schools, it will more than likely be Middle Schools too.

19. INCOGNITO2

INCOGNITO2 Guest

consider this....

Will there ever be enough time to prepare for anything that life may throw at us? In a word no.... we accept it and adapt.

People do not like change, but sometimes with change comes growth. Personally I am up for it! We are fussing about the summer vacations and taking it away, but really come the last 3-4 weeks of summer we are ready for school again. The kids are so bored and unruly.

One thing to consider is this, think about all the schooling that we had and all the years we were in school. Now try to pick up an Algebra book and help your 9th grader, could you do it? Maybe but you would struggle, same thing with children. It is retention and memorization that is lost during the summer months. If you don't use it you loose it! Personally I am for it, anything that will help my child retain more info. To make it through the tunnel of education.

I am speaking as a parent who has a child in elem. middle and high....talk about schedule conflict, but we adapt to do what is best for our children... not us.We can throw data into the mix but data is what it is data, what will be best for my child is the question you need to ask yourself...

20. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I would hope they would switch all of the schools to modified if they decide to switch the elementary schools since many families rely on older siblings to pick up or care for younger siblings after school, but I would not make any assumption that they will do this...I want it in writing before I would believe it.