Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I'm given to understand that this was mentioned/discussed at a meeting with principals and Dr Croom last year, but was told to not bring it up to preclude any confusion.

From the proposed intent being mentioned in Feb, decided by March, and approved or disapproved by the board in April, seems a fairly compressed period to time to allow for discussion and serious Q&A about a change of this magnitude.

I feel for the principals whose hands were tied, and then given this window to do what they could.

One of the telling things that really concerns me is the alienation of a supportive body of parents for a school, because they are now divided into supporters or opposition of this poorly manufactured and supported scheme. While I really hope that supporters can come together over other items, that hasn't been my experience. Battle lines have been drawn. Allies have formed. And it's going to be difficult to walk that back.

This is the real tragedy of the 7Ps....**** Poor Planning Promotes **** Poor Performance, where I edited the stars for a common name for urine. Such pithy things one learns in the military seem to bear out in life.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I think that about sums up my complaint with this whole thing. Right, wrong or indifferent, this feels "sneaky" to me. If folks had more time to get used to the idea and information was more forthcoming, it might go down a whole lot easier. But no, we are just going to rush it through one way or the other and hope for the best. We all know how well that works out. :?

3. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

ok so just my understanding of this from talking with some of my friends that teach at various schools:

yes it was the principles idea to go to a modified calendar (not year round)

the idea was to see if the teachers would go for it, if not then it would not be presented to the parents it would just go away, well from what I am gathering most teachers are a go for this (atleast at my local schools)

then present to the parents to get feedback from them.. if they couldnt get the support from the parents it would not go to the school board.

Once it goes to the school board, not sure how it will go, if they open it up for more discussion with the parents or just let it go because you should have had your vote when your school did so..

Also my understanding is if it goes thru with the elementary schools, middle school will be close to follow suit..

*just what I have heard folks, we meet on the 7th and 15 and Riverwood Elem*

4. INCOGNITO2

INCOGNITO2 Guest

my thought....

#1 hear all the FACTS first and then make an INFORMED decision. Do not get influenced by other people who think they hold the key....
    #2 Decide what would be best for you and your family.
    My mom told me to only believe half of what you hear and all of what you see. Life is about change and we have to deal with it sooner or later...

:beathorse:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  5. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

Yes, this is my understanding as well. Not a lot of notice for parents to study and debate the idea before "the vote" will be taken. Parents need to get up to speed on this quickly, speak up in the education sessions (assuming they let you speak), and contact the school board. In the end, they are the ones responsible for this change regardless of what Croom recommends.

I still feel like they are ramming this through before people have a chance to thoroughly evaluate the impact...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  6. INCOGNITO2

INCOGNITO2 Guest

parents are not "voting" per say I gather it is more of looking for interest or not...

7. Hatteras6

As abhorrent as it sounds, It sounds as if the powers that be feel that Bobby Knight was correct.

8. INCOGNITO2

INCOGNITO2 Guest

Why talk now when so many things have been said without ever giving me a chance to talk? ~Bobby Knight

9. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

Yep! My children are at year round schools and we love it!

10. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

I'm still not sure I would be in favor of the year round schedule if this were the case, but it might make it easier to swallow if they implemented the same schedule across the board. It's hard to realize the benefits of "more opportunities for vacations" when one of your kids is on year round and the other is on traditional schedule. If you only have one child, then I'm sure this is not an issue for you. If you have two children in different schools (i.e. elementary and middle) then the schedule change is a lot less attractive.

11. Hatteras6

Nope. In the Connie Chung interview, August 1988.

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

ITS NOT YEAR ROUND PEOPLE.....good grief.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

13. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

It's funny though, the confusion about the type of schedule, since "modified" means "changed", so both a Modified calendar and a Year Round calendar are modified from a traditional calendar. And a modified calendar has children in attendence 11 months out of the year. Hmmmmm. Wonder where the confusion might be? :lol:

14. KellBell

there is definitely confusion....that's for sure!

15. INCOGNITO2

INCOGNITO2 Guest

:beathorse: your beating a dead horse hun.... no body is listening! I know that u know that ...lol Same time in school just half the summer is dispursed*

16. INCOGNITO2

INCOGNITO2 Guest

WOW....

17. KellBell

its not even 1/2 it's 2 weeks! instead of 9 it's 7 in the summer....

and I'd rather beat my head than that horse, poor thing is pure dust.

18. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/educa...QwNTMvOTU1MDJfMTE0MDUzX2F0dGFjaF8xOTMwNS5wZGY=

July 28 to Sept 30 - 9 weeks in school
    Oct 1 to Oct 15 - 2 week break (Fall break)
    Oct 18 to Dec 21 - 9 1/2 weeks in school
    Dec 22 to Jan 10 - 2 1/2 week break (Winter break)
    Jan 11 to April 8 - 12 weeks in school
    Apr 11 to April 25 - 2 week break (Spring break)
    April 26 to June 8 - 7 weeks in school
    June 9 to July 27 - 6 1/2 week break (Summer break)

Just a summary above give or take a teacher workday here and there, but basic gist above to help with some confusion 8)

19. KellBell

:hurray:

20. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I will admit I was ignorant to this info. :oops:I was thinking more of the track schedule in Wake County. I think it would be nice if we could just keep the traditional schedule but have a longer fall break similar to the traditional spring break.