Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

This is the data the School Board is working with - the Impact of Intersessions. Keep in mind the large ESL populations of these schools (that might not be "PC", but it's true). I would like to see baselines for the children who attended the intersessions, not a comparison of who attended and who did not. I would like to see more specific data overall. I feel this is incomplete and we are only seeing part of the numbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ncgal

ncgal Well-Known Member

When looking at the comparison also keep in mind that this is a Title 1 school that has been given federal funds and grant money to provide additional teacher training, more specialized curriculum, and transportation of students to the intercession. Even the principal said he didn't know if it was the curriculum changes or the calendar change that improved the children's performance. In comprison, the prinicipal at Polenta stated that they will be TAKING AWAY money from their remediation fund to pay for this calendar change so that the kids could have 3 weeks of 1/2 day remediation. Also, she stated that tutors that have been used in the past to help students would be reduced or eliminated to pay for this!

I'm still dismayed that other options such as additional teacher training or nationally recognized curriculum that could be used throughout the year would be bypassed in order to pay for optional 1/2 day intercessions for 3 weeks!

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Many of the comments that I heard last night was that this approach was applied to schools that have not achieved what we have in the Cleveland area schools, and a lot of "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

As to surveying the parents of incoming kindergartners, the explanation was that most, but not all of the Kindergartners will be registered in March, with the remainder showing up before school starts in August. I see no reason why these parents POV was excluded, other than a rush the jam this through.

While I grant that this would not represent the total population of families who will be affected by the adoption of this calendar, and therefore of interest, the survey could have been delayed until after kindergartner registration and including the views of the large majority of those who register.

While the parents of 5th graders may know the 'culture' of the school, they are not affected, unless they have a child remaining at the elementary school. Incoming kindergartner parents have much more at stake.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  4. Hatteras6

The surveys that are returned will be counted. If 10% of them are returned, then 85 families will be the disproportionate representational vote. If 45 families vote yes, they are choosing to support a calendar that many more than that may not.

It seems that unless it's a yes vote, it should be counted as a no. As a change of this magnitude, if you can't motivate folks to choose a yes, then you have your answer.

Just looking at PES and WVES:

Presume 800 families per school. If 51% support this at each school, that would be 408 families. Yet that leaves 392 families per school that did not choose, sufficient numbers to move those who wish it to one, and allow those who do not to have their calendar as they wish.

I see the applications to move to CES as an overwhelming amount. It will turn into a lottery. And if a single family who desires to get into CES who fits a protected category is excluded, then it goes to court, and as usual, the JoCo school board will be spending money on a case they will either settle or lose.

This is just another example of an issue that could have been presented over a one year period to allow open and forthright discussion, especially seeing that the AYP goals of the Cleveland area schools are superior to those schools touted as examples for adoption.

Yet the poor planning and execution of this has divided parents of schools, and on whose support school success depends. I do not believe it will be easy to bring together those who are so passionately divided. And the prevailing side should keep in mind that both sides are needed to support our schools.

This issue should have been introduced during the first part of the school calendar, if they desire to make changes as of the start for next year. As it is, many are feeling that this process is abbreviated, either by design or miscalculation. The trust and credibility factor is strained even further.

It seems logical to me that this process stop, immediately. Let's look at it over the rest of this year, and next school year. That will offer the opportunity for in depth review and consideration. It will offer more data, as opposed to anecdotal evidence, as "it appears", "other schools have seen", "we feel that", especially in light of items mentioned in discussion that did not reveal how they were assessed, i.e. "better retention", "increased morale."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

I don't think anything could accomplish that monumental task.:jester:

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/united-states/Pages/education-strategy.aspx

I think some parents and School Board members need to take the time to look into what Bill and Melinda Gates have to offer. I have been proposing this for some time. They actually have the money to put into school systems to help and the data that shows what they are doing improves schools.

Sherry

7. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Johnston County Republican Women will hold their monthly meeting at the Golden Corral in Smithfield on Thursday, March 17th at 6:30pm

JCRW Member Michelle Haller of Clayton will speak on the issue of traditional schedule vs enhanced acamedic schedule. Michelle will present what she has learned to this point about this issue.

JCRW have generated a petition, Let Our Voices Be Heard, for all citizens of Johnston County. JCRW is not advocating either schedule. You might be for the traditional schedule or you might be for the enhanced academic schedule. We want to give all citizens of Johnston County the opportunity to Let Our Voices Be Heard by the School Board members. You may sign the Petition and choose which schedule you prefer.

We, the citizens of Johnston County, do hereby request the members of the Johnston County Board of Education LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD and to include Our Voices in their decision whether to move forward with Enhanced Academic Schedules for elementary schools in Johnston County. Our Initials below are Our Voices.

Registered Republican women from Johnston County are welcome to attend and listen to Michelle's presentation. We will have copies of the petition to carry with you and have friends, family and neighbors sign it. Johnston County Republican Women will present the Petition to the Board of Education members on behalf of the voices of all citizens of Johnston County.

This is a taxpayer issue, not just a parent issue. All taxpayers residing in Johnston County should Let Our Voices Be Heard. The School Board's budget consumes the largest percentage of your property tax dollar. Printed on the 2010 Property Tax Notice for Johnston County residents, Education consumes 33.59% of every dollar in Fiscal Year 2010-2011 ($55,123,631).

For more information about the upcoming JCRW meeting please contact Teresa Grant of the Cleveland area at aubie59@nc.rr.com.

8. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I believe there is a gates high school associated with wake tech and the kids graduate high school with a BA degree

9. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

Hat, you keep changing your battle cry. One minute you're complaining that an alternate calendar does not improve achievement.
    Then you're complaining that they are not spending enough time to debate the idea (although you've already made up your mind.)
    Then you're talking about conspiracy theories and the magic bullet (Are you really Oliver Stone living in JoCo?).
    You're fanning the fire in so many bushes that I'm afraid we might need some volunteer firemen to help put out the inferno (I hope they're adjusting to their new schedule better than you are).

I believe you may be worried that you might lose that long summer at the beach.

10. Hatteras6

Your beliefs are fine, for you. Allow me to wish you well on your journey to durance vile. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  11. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Guess I am in the minority, I like the Modified Schedule for my family. It will work great!! Either way my child will do great but love the idea of having a fall break ;)

12. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I like the modified schedule too. But both of mine will be in middle school next year so it doesn't apply to us..yet. Though I'd like to see it tweaked a little more to have the summer vac or time off scheduled a little closer to early June. Solely for vacationing purposes. We like to go to the OBX for the summer and after a certain date the rates nearly double! And I guess with the new schedule there's no point in having summer pool memberships. But, like I said.. at this point, we don't even count. I guess we still have a vote though since our youngest is in 5th.. Why doesn't some one do a poll. (I don't know how, I could try but probably screw it up) and see what the general consensus is on the board. I have a vote- tell me what to do with it (it MIGHT count)

13. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I'm still undecided. At first I was all for the modified schedule, but now I'm not sure. In two years I will have middle school student and an elementary student and I will probably be teaching elementary school (God willing). So there really is a lot to think about as far as our schedules go, but I'm not strongly against either one.

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

At this point I am undecided as well. I don't like the rush, the data is incomplete, Middle/Elementary School would be an issue for me as well, and working outside of the home any place other than a part time basis at a school would be out of the question for me. I am not willing to put my children in daycare - that is a personal choice for us.

15. whatever123

whatever123 Guest

i agree that either schedule will be fine for my child I am for the modified school and take on the new challenge and change I am not scared.... and I can go to the beach whenever i want...lol...I understand folks with kids in middle school etc. If my child falls behind at all I am not blaming the schools or schedules or whatever but as a parents going to work harder with my child as once again I know my childs skills and abilities as the schools teach my child but it is my job to re enforce there new/old skills at home and having different or same or whatever school schedule doesn't affect that......

16. Hatteras6

Second meeting for Polenta tonight at 630 in the cafeteria.

17. Hatteras6

The meeting began with the same presentation as the first.

There was some discussion near the end that indicated (confirmed by the PES principal) that Powhatan teachers asked to vote on the measure again, and that they rejected this, after initially supporting it.

That said, and strictly in my opinion, the questions presented indicated a large unmet desire for data that is statistically relevant, fair, and comparable to PES. Comments made to me afterwards suggest that the data sets presented are not perceived to be 'fair' data.

There is still a widely felt and expressed feeling that this process seems to be rushed. Comments were made that there is a desire for the schools currently using this calendar to be evaluated for its success and failures at the three year point, rather than make large changes based on interim data from in town schools.

Another point made after the meeting was that it appears that proponents have the school facility to use to promote this calendar, but those who do not support it have no public forum like the school to express their opposition to this calendar.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  18. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

So do you have some data that shows a traditional calendar provides the best academic achievement?
    What is so great about the current schedule?
    In an agrarian society that depended on children to help during the summer, I'm sure it was necessary. However, that is not the world we live in today.
    I acknowledge that some people prefer the old calendar. That's fine. Those individuals should be allowed to freely transfer if needed. And I believe the school board will allow them. However, some people would like the new calendar and should have that option as well. In an area with several elem. schools within a couple miles of each other, it seems reasonable to allow one of the schools to try the new calendar.
    Some people want to make it sound like you're an idiot just because you're willing to try something new. This country is all about trying new things and taking chances. Let's finally have some choice in JoCo, instead of the same old thing.

19. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

I didn't realize until yesterday that parents at some schools have voted. Does anyone know the results of any? Or when they'll be counted?

20. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

I voted no to all...we have an only child, and it's hard enough to find care during the summer...let alone trying to find someone to watch him for a few weeks at the end of each 9 weeks. We don't do daycare...

I do have a feeling that it will pass regardless though...If the schools want it, I'm sure it's not a question for parents at this point...the survey was probably a good idea...that way at least it looks like it was the parents that voted it in.