Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I don't have an opinion on the whole thing yet, but someone pointed out another perspective to me not too long ago.

You have a hard time trying to find someone to watch him for the full 9 weeks, will they be more willing to watch him for three weeks at a time rather than one big chunk of time????

I don't know just another perspective.

2. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

nope, currently my MIL does it during the summer b/c she isn't working...she goes to the lake nearly every weekend...easier to entertain him when you only have to do it basically 4 days a week...or 3 in they stay till Monday!

3. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Well, we got our survey. The questions are interesting. Why would they ask if someone would send their kid to remediation if they needed it? Who wouldn't?

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

My concern is how do they count those surveys who don't select a yes or no for # 5, but then write a comment suggesting a yes or no intent.

Are the only votes counted those that completely and inarguably indicate a yes or no selection (hanging chad kind of thing)

The language of the survey is tilted towards adoption. Surveys can use language that suggests a predetermined course of action.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

McGees Elementary voted this past Monday and we got a call that the forms needed to be sent in (if not already sent in) no later than Tuesday (yesterday). I don't know what the results are or when we will hear about it.

What was question #5? I though the survey only had 4 questions? Remind me.

6. Hatteras6

Based on conversations that I have had, and emails/phone calls I have received, her are the questions that have not been addressed.

1. How is ‘regression’ measured. If a student completing 1st grade exits with a level 48 on a reading level (indicating a 4th grade reading level approximately) and returns to school and tests as a 38 level (still far above the 2nd grade reading level), is this counted as a ‘regression’?

2. The scores for PES indicate AYP status. Yet scores within a subgroup may prevent PES from achieving “School of Distinction” status. Isn’t it a fact that some student subgroups whose scores are included in the aggregate will probably never reach measurable achievement that pushes PES over the top? If so, it seems that PES is suggesting adoption for a major calendar change whose utilization may well not reflect any improvement. Why then the need for a change?

3. It seems that the schools are trying to replicate what parents don’t do over the summer? Yet, at some point, given the budgetary pressures, and allocation of scarce resources, why do we consider modifying programs that the school will admits that will require ‘finding’ the funds to support it?

4. The scores for WS and SS were presented in aggregate scores. But, in doing so, an increase in reading may disguise a decrease in math scores. How can we compare? Telling parents that they can look it up seems to suggest that the school is ok with presenting data that is favorable, but not providing data that is not.

5. Where will the additional funding come from if the estimated population exceeds 120 students.

6. Why change if WS/SS are in the middle of their commitment to this. Would it not make sense to wait until we can see a longer term with which to compare the scores?

7. The votes will be counted by persons who have indicated adoption of this calendar. How does this process ensure a fair counting of votes?

8. As to the question, how do I transfer my school to a traditional calendar one, if the two schools in the Cleveland area are over capacity already? What then becomes the criteria for allowing transfer?

9. The school data presented from Union county showed much smaller school populations. Their scores aren’t applicable to our size school population, are they?

10. How was morale measured? It is touted as an advantage, but is only “feel good” reporting, as there was no data presented to indicate how it was measured.

11. To suggest increased retention of teachers, the figures included those teachers who retired. Retention is made to sound ominous as suggesting that teachers were planning on quitting, when in fact this isn’t proven. Would the fact that the budget seems to suggest a teacher layoff is imminent be a factor in teacher retention. How about the effects of the downturned economy in the last 2-3 years?

12. The figure given was that a high percentage of students attended the remediation. Yet, no figures were given as to the number of students per session, and how it was determined whether they needed enhancement or were there because their parents sent them. If a parent chooses to send their child to SS/WS, this is permitted. PES seems to say that only those students selected can attend? Why the discrepancy?

13. If a student is bare points above the ‘selection criteria” for intersession, but not in the range of those students invited to attend, is this not a student at risk whose needs are being neglected?

14. Inarguably, there are other positive factors in a child’s retention of academic achievement? Why are those factors downplayed in light of a calendar change that ‘may’ have some effect?

15. It was said that ‘data sheets’ could be used to let parents know what areas their child needs to concentrate on, if they choose to not attend. Are these types of communication not being used now? Same as for the summers. My child’s teachers have given us suggestions for summer work? What is different?

16. Is it realistic to expect that a child who may have struggled for an entire grading period will be able to get up to speed with 15 hours of remediation?

17. What about teasing of students who attend remediation, by those in their regular class who do not attend? Yes, in a perfect world, this doesn’t happen. Let’s talk real world.

18. How is regression measured specifically?

19. Understanding that those persons who go into education do so to help, and it’s probable that they refuse to accept that a student is unable to achieve. Yet, isn’t the school attempting to do what parents can’t or won’t do, and instead of working to solve that problem, the schools seem to reach downward more so than to students at the other end of the learning scale?

20. I have a child in high school who I depend on to watch my elementary school child. I’m working full time as is my spouse. Our work already takes us away from more family time than we like, time that we can’t be a part of our child’s education. We can’t afford daycare. What happens to our family schedule when the older child is in school, the youngest one is at home, and neither of us can afford to stay home or pay for daycare?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. Hatteras6

The PES form has 5 questions. Following those is an area for comments.
    Presuming that you recently filled out this survey, it sounds as confusing as the rest of this process.

8. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Petition update and Dr. Croom

The Johnston County Republican Women will be meeting tonight at the new Golden Corral in Smithfield next to I-95 at 6:30pm. All registered Republican women are welcome to attend (including their spouses). Dutch supper at 6pm.

JCRW member Michelle Haller will be presenting what she has learned to this point. Michelle has been in direct contact with Dr. Croom this week specifially about this topic and will include that conversation within her presentation.

From input from some, the Johnston County Republican Women have revised their Petition. The choice of schedule has been removed from the Petiton. Instead of asking which schedule you prefer, Traditional or Enhanced Academic, the petition now asks for you to write a comment.

The Petition asks for your name, address and phone number. Then below this is a section for your personal comments.

The newest version will be available at the Johnston County Republican Women's meeting tonight.

If you would like a copy of the petition to circulate and ask for signatures, you may privately email me and I can get you a copy.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  9. jumpin4joync

May I have your permission to print out the above and carry it with me to the JCRW meeting tonight and present these questions/concerns to JCRW Michelle Haller?

10. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

Since I saw the survey a month ago, I've wondered basically the same thing. If you say yes to all the questions and no to the one asking if you support the proposed calendar, how do they count your vote? I think it is a very leading survey and one that is meant to get the exact outcome the school administrators want, in my opinion.

11. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

The principal at MCES said at the first meeting that they were considering the last question ("Would you be in favor of the Enhanced Academic calendar?) to be your yes or no vote and THAT would be the vote that they count for the decision-making. So, that's what I'm guessing the deal is with the vote.

The question about whether you would do whatever you needed to do to participate in remediation activities if your child was asked to attend the remediation sessions was a little silly to me. Duh. Of course I would. And who would really say they wouldn't? As to whether they do or not is a separate issue... but it was an odd question.

12. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know. My school has our FIRST parent info meeting tonight. I'll be sure to verify that they will only be using the last question.

Again, I think the questions before the final one are all leading you to answer the way they want. Of course you would do all those things for your children so the conclusion would be to support the proposed calendar, right? That's how I take the survey.

13. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

You guys all seem to be involved parents, so you would probably be surprised at how many parents will answer "no" to the question about taking advantage of remediation. The possible reasons... "my kid won't attend because he/she will not need it," "no transportation," or simply "no." Many parents aren't ashamed to admit that they won't do what's needed for their kids. You really would be surprised.

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I answered "yes" to the remediation question, knowing full well that my children will likely not need it, but if they were determined to need it I would certainly take advantage of it. It would be foolish of me to answer otherwise.

15. ncgal

ncgal Well-Known Member

I said No!

I said no that my child would not participate in the remediation and my children would very likely be one of the ones that would be invited to join due to their learning disability!

I don't see the extra 15 hours of help will suddenly increase their reading scores from the previous 9 weeks. Its exactly like the remediation for the EOG that has never helped them! If they couldn't do it before they aren't going to magically get it after a few hours of a cram session. I would rather have good money spent on teacher training and better curriculum that could be used throughout the year and in conjunction with what they are learning in the classroom. Frankly, what is going on with exceptional children in Johnston County classrooms is NOT working!

Also, many students who struggle with academics have a poor outlook on themself and school. This outlook often results in psychological problems, risky behaviors, and an increase in the chance of dropping out of school as they get older. Making a child go to school during their breaks when other students who are there for "enrichment" and might see them is likely to add anxiety and shame. That is something I will not risk with my children!

I will continue to do what I always do with my children during breaks. I will work with my children at home or with a private tutor and continue their reading mixed in with activities that they excel and enjoy. Giving them time away from the actual school allows them to relax and be ready for the next challange!

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying ncgal, but if my child were having problems and the school and I are to work together to solve them, there wouldn't be much room for me to complain if I hadn't taken advantage of what the school had to offer - and I don't think the school would take me very seriously after refusing to try any help they offered.

I completely disagree with your third paragraph.

17. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:iagree:

18. jumpin4joync

Wow! What a meeting! JCRW Member Michelle Haller did an incredible job of presenting information about the issue of traditional vs enhanced academic at the Johnston County Republican Women's meeting tonight. Michelle had information from a number of sources, including Dr. Croom.

I strongly believe that everyone at that meeting is much more educated on what is taking place here in the county.

A member here on 4042.com, Hatteras6, posted a long list of questions/concerns. I printed those out to carry with me. Many, if not most, of the questions/concerns were addressed in Michelle's presentation.

Great Job Michelle!!

19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2059562,00.html

The Obama Administration is doubling down on its push to overhaul the federal No Child Left Behind Act. Last Wednesday, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan testified before Congress and aggressively urged action to revise the landmark and contentious education law that was passed in 2001. The President began this week with a speech at a northern Virginia middle school urging Congress to act and then spent part of Tuesday cutting several radio interviews prodding Capitol Hill even more.

20. jumpin4joync

read further...

and as you read further into the article.....

But the Administration is clearly thinking about more than just the policy. Part of the push for revamping No Child Left Behind is political. The Race to the Top competition is receding from public view. The dollars from the 2009 economic-stimulus bill are mostly spent. Congress and the Administration are at loggerheads over proposals to better regulate for-profit colleges. And Congress gridlocked on the federal budget. So, bluntly, the Obama Administration wants and needs an education win from overhauling No Child Left Behind. Republicans understand those politics and are seeing what they can extract from the Administration in exchange for passing a bill. This dynamic worries some observers. One civil rights lobbyist, who spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to be candid about the Administration, told me, "They want a notch in their belts more than good policy" at this point.