Chicks

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Jenna's Mom, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I want to start having a few chickens, so I'm looking for some chicks. Now, before you just tell me that Tractor Supply has some right now, let me say I'm looking for something a little more specific than the whatever is in the trough at Tractor Supply.

1) I want them sexed (don't need 10 roosters and 2 hens).
    2) I want Orpingtons or Speckled Sussexs
    3) I'd rather not do mail order.

I'm looking at Sumner-byrdfarm.com but their webpage seems to be on a problematic server (i.e. only loads 1% of the time). so, if anyone knows of other hatcheries, let me know.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Check Craigs List. A quick search under the Farm & Garden section and I found some out there.

3. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I know you are having problems with Sumner's but I have a friend who highly recommends them. Also this might be helpful:
    http://www.tourdcoop.com

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

There is a place in Smithfield on 301 south of where the Sound Station store is. Can't think of the name right now but they usually have chicks of all sorts and best I remember they are sexxed as well as can be.

5. Rcskip

Rcskip Well-Known Member

Twin Feed

There is a little feed store in Willow Spring called Twin Feed. I've gotten my chicks from them the last two years. You may have to pre- order they sell out fast.
    We just got our babies last week--- Auracanas, Speckled Sussex, and Silver-laced Wyandottes. The hens I got last year were Buff orpingtons and a light sussex came from a group that was supposed to be leghorns. FYI--
    they are closed on Sundays and Mondays. If you need the number PM me and I'll get it for you.
    Rachael

6. Rcskip

Rcskip Well-Known Member

Jack's farm store closed-- :-(

7. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

You could also drop a PM to Zookeeper, she raises chickens too.

8. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help. I may just pm zookeeper, I may learn something! Anyway, I placed the order with Sumner-Byrd and the customer service so far has been top notch. We'll be picking up the chicks while the kids are on Spring Break and be able to focus on them for an entire week before the kids go back. I'll also start working on preparing the coop area for them as well.

Thanks again!

9. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

They're open for business - 919-209-9811 I get my feed and shavings there. Just called them to verify they ARE open :)

BTW I got my girls from Sumners - they were GREAT when I placed my order, when I went to pick them up and after when I had a ? about a month later. Would get any chickens in the future from them - their property is so clean and their chickens/ducks etc are all very healthy looking. Highly recommend them. ***When I pocked up the girls they were all over 5 weeks old - so I felt a bit more comfortable handling them since they weren't as fragile as baby chicks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  10. Rcskip

Rcskip Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011