Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. cougar

cougar Guest

2. cougar

cougar Guest

Where did you get your information that schools on the proposed schedule would begin on July 5th?

3. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

True! I never thought about that. I only have one right now in elementary school so I haven't had to do that yet. I will next year though probably!

4. Allioop

I remember at the DRES meeting the Dr. Croom addressed this. He said if you scheduled a vacation they would not count your child as absent during those days. I remember he said a child could still qualify for perfect attendance if the vacation was already scheduled.

5. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

i hope so cant change weeks now :( the house is paid for and others already gone...

6. Allioop

Lol - I just realized I typed "the Dr. Croom" - didn't mean to!

7. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

From three sources: 1) A parent at the retreat. 2) A board member at the retreat. 3) Clayton News-Star article http://claytonnews-star.com/

It's not set in stone as the bill hasn't passed yet, but if it does pass, the schools on the enhanced calendar will start on July 5th. Would make it a really short summer and that's why the board members said they would put a stop to this process at their April meeting. Of course, something could happen to make them change their minds before then but that's what was discussed at the retreat on March 17th.

8. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the board can't stop DPI from enforcing it. Politics. Who cares. My kids are in year round school and get more breaks than traditional schools.

9. happy128

happy128 Active Member

Kell,
    Jordan brought home one and said they only gave to the oldest kids. Austin didn't have one. I guess that is what they did. Not sure what they do in the case of twins - Edna

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

hey edna! :mrgreen:

just yesterday,
    I got
    2 surveys (the "how is the school doing"ones)
    2 lunch menus
    2 flyers with the info on the high school open house info
    2 high school course description books

:rolleyes:

11. happy128

happy128 Active Member

I guess that is what they do in the case of twins... LOL

12. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

Politics or not, I care. All parents should.

I don't think DPI can make any school district adopt a certain calendar for all their schools. Moving forward with the proposed enhanced calendar at new schools for next year is what the board is planning to stop. The two schools already on that calendar will have no choice. Maybe the county will have some leway for their start date but it will still be earlier in July than is currently planned. The date out there right now is July 5th.

13. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

A majority of parents from Polenta express a desire to try the new calendar.

14. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

A majority (67%) of Dixon Road parents voted yes as well.

15. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

Would the parents that are against this new calendar be willing to gather together and brainstorm ways to fight it? If we all band together, I think we would have a much better chance of being heard than responding to the board individually. My children are not yet in Kindergarten, so I didn't even get a chance to vote. As a taxpayer and mother, I have serious issues with that part alone!

16. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestion. It seems that the need for cohesion would be best drawn among school specific families. I do know that Golden Corral makes their meeting room available for community events.

17. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no idea how to set something like that up, but if someone would like to help me I'd definitely be interested in trying.

18. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I am in the same position you are, but understanding the school system, I have a different opinion on this subject. First, the board has every right to make this decision without ANY input or voting. The fact that they have sought input from teachers, parents, and daycare facilities is going above and beyond their duty as elected officials. This brings me to my next point that although we could not vote on this issue, we were given the opportunity to vote for the board members responsible for making these decisions. I don't know of any other locally elected officials who allow all of the taxpayers to vote for their decisions. I just don't understand why some have a problem with the amount of input the board has solicited when it is clearly above and beyond what is required.

19. jollypolly

jollypolly Guest

I thought we voted in the school board members to represent the public. yes we as taxpayers should be allowed to express our thoughts and they should listen.. I know how I'm voting next election.

20. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

You are allowed to express your thoughts to the school board the same way you can express them to any other elected official. I guess the only difference is that you don't agree with a decision they have made. Or maybe you don't agree with a decision they haven't even made yet.