Relocating to the area, looking for a family pool to join.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Boating_Tom, May 17, 2011.

1. Boating_Tom

Boating_Tom Guest

Hi folks, my family is relocating to the area in the next month and we are trying to find some options for community pools we could join and hopefully let our girls meet some future classmates, they will be at Cleveland middle and Polenta.

We have been pointed towards Lionsgate community pool and the Smithfield Aquatic Center. Do any families from these school zone use these pools? Are there any others that we might be overlooking?

Also if you have any recommendations or experiences with the two I named above please share, really like the Lionsgate setup and having multiple pools and gyms to use.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
  2. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I believe Broadmoor is now offering public pool memberships, that would be an ideal place to start. 919-934-9464.

3. alen

alen Well-Known Member

Yep, we just signed up at Broadmoor, very easy process.

4. Crysta

Crysta Guest

How much are they charging now?

5. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I would like to know too please. My Daughter just started therapy in the pool at WakeMed yesterday. It would be good for her to continue throughout the Summer.

6. alen

alen Well-Known Member

$500. Open mid May through sometime in September (I am pretty sure). All the other places I considered were around $450, but not as convenient as Broadmoor. Good deal in my opinion.

7. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Lifeguards

Does anyone know if Broadmoor has Lifeguards?

8. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

No lifeguards.

Broadmoor Pros:

Not overcrowded
    You can bring guests at no charge
    Pay $500 and you are done
    Basic pool

Lionsgate Pros:

Nice setup (GREAT for those with small children)
    Multiple locations
    Gym with childcare if you need it
    Lifeguards
    Swim Team
    You get golf privileges (if you care)

Lionsgate Cons:

Guests cost an EXTREME amount ($10-$15 a piece)
    Crowded at times
    Staff can be a little rude
    Pay $88/month all year
    Shortened season due to the need for lifeguards (they use high schoolers)
    A Lot of rules

9. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Is the pool heated?

10. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

If you are interested in a pool so your kids can meet classmates at the schools you mentioned, I doubt they will meet many at Lionsgate, you would be better to join Broadmoor, or McGees. McGees has a swim team. Another pool in the area (within 10-15 minutes) is Turner Farms, which also has a swim team, and lists their membership price on the sign near the entrance as around $400.

11. Boating_Tom

Boating_Tom Guest

Not sure which pool you are asking about, the Lionsgate is part of a network of facilities, one has a indoor pool.

Thanks for all the info, I looked at Broadmoor and thought it was a little step considering there are no lifeguards to keep the teenagers under control and no diving board.

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

like poco said, if you want your kids to get to know kids they will go to school with, they won't do that at Lionsgate, whole different area than where you obviously are going to be living. While Broadmoor doesn't have lifeguards, there are always plenty of parents around to keep an eye on everything and it is in the school district you are talking about. Good luck and welcome to our little neck of the woods.

13. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

We stopped going to Lionsgate because it was EXTREMELY overcrowded plus you can't just buy a summer membership.

Now we go to Neuse River Racquet Club. Might be too far for you - it's out by Glen Laurel. $399 for a family for just the pool. They open tomorrow!

14. jennandchad

jennandchad Active Member

Neuse River Pool

The Neuse River Pool opens up next Saturday (right next to Food Lion off of Neuse River Parkway on 42 East).

See http://neusepool.com/ for more information. It is $400 for the season if you are a non-resident of Flowers Plantation. They have a free one day pass available to come check it out. Send a message if you are interested.

15. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Note that this is different from the one I mentioned above. The one I'm talking about is off of Vinson - http://www.neuseriverrc.com/pool.html - and it opened yesterday.

16. G.G.

G.G. Member

I have been going to Lions gate for 3 years now and we love it, My kids have met and seen kids from school, dance and gymnastics there. So it is very likely that your kids would also meet kids from their school. I know that lots of people from Hunters Mill s/d and twisted oaks and broadmoor people go to lions gate. My kids are looking fwd to going this weekend and have already spoken to some of there friends about meeting there. Hope this helps you in your decision! Lions gate is having a promo i beleive it is 1 month free when u sign up. Also Lions gate can get crowded but not all the time and I've never had a problem in 3 years and like that it is kid oriented with the slides/spray ground and kiddie area is a plus for families with small kids.