Marco's Pizzeria II East Park/Walmart Plaza 919 772-1323

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WVELEM, Jun 1, 2011.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Its the water from NY that makes the difference.

We've watched a travel channel or food tv show and they made identical pizza recipes side by side, the only difference was NY water vs. water from somewhere else. The pizza's were presented to judges unmarked for tasting, and each judge liked the one with the NY water better.

Personally, I think its the same with bagels too.

In order, I like Mulberry on Main, La Piazza, Primavera (at White Oak), Marcos, then down the list are Rays & 3 Olives, they're both good, just not as good to me as the NY style at the other pizza places (but they are closest too my house and deliver).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I've never had pizza from Mulberry on Main, but we've eaten there a few times and there food is great! And Primavera in White Oak has great pizza...tastes so close to the pizza I grew up with :)

It is really hard to find good Italian food in the South...but I'm sure the BBQ stuff is better down here than it is up North.

3. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Sounds New Yorkish? It sound disease-ish. :lol: It's too bad they couldn't keep the name Goodfellas. They do have good pizza though. Too far for me to drive for pizza.

4. ZUMBAbyMARIE

Primavera at White Oak has excellent pizza. If I'm already up that way I'll get it, but it's not worth the trip for bad customer service and attitude.

5. nr4042

nr4042 Member

I second Two Cousins. I'm sorry, I love NC since moving here a year ago from NY, but I've been to many pizza places in the area and very few are even worth mentioning. None of the chain pizza places make anything that even closely resembles pizza from up north. And most of the other independent pizza places are not much better. Two Cousins and maybe Venero's are the ones that come close. Wouldn't trade NC for anything up in NY though, I'll live with the so so pizza.

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

They could always go back to "Jimmy's Pizza Time" which is the name he started with...back in the day!

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I agree about the attitude over there...those local "little boys" that work there are such wanna-be hardcore Italians, i've almost had to laugh at them. Though, I'm sure they get the attitude from the owner, he's a real piece of work and straight out of NY.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I remember hearing way back when, was it that he used to sell pizza out of that concession trailer in his driveway? For anyone that doesn't know, if you go out to the flea market at the state fairgrounds on the weekend, he is the pizza concession trailer out there.

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

This is out of the way but worth the trip...Sami's Pizza in Selma. They are actually on one half of the gas station on the road in front of JR Cigars by I95. From what I've been told, the family is from Brooklyn and are Italian. It's authentic NY style pizza and they also have calzones, subs, cannoli and other homemade desserts. They also have pasta which my daughter says is wonderful. They do have a few tables so you can eat there; you place your order at the counter.

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Another one I had good pizza at, but it too is out of the way (atleast for me) is the pizza place that is over by the Lowes Food at Aversboro Rd. in Garner. When I've been in that area I've gotten slices of pizza and thought they were good.

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Ordered a pizza from Two Cousins yesterday which was good plus they had some very friendly customer service!!

12. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

DH & I went to Veneros Friday night. You cannot beat their pizza and stromboli. And those garlic knots with the garlic butter & marinara sauce.....I could make a meal of just those alone! 22 bucks and change and we had 1/2 of everything left over to bring home for lunch Saturday. IDK if they deliver tho...for delivery we call Rays Pizza. They make a really good pizza and its always fresh & hot when it gets here.

13. ZUMBAbyMARIE

I picked up a pizza at Primavera Friday since I was already at White Oak. Customer service was better. There was only one guy in there eating on a Friday! I ordered the extra large but it wasn't very big. It was good, but it's always better if you eat it there. I think I'll stick with Two Cousins.

14. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Yeah, he started out of his driveway then had a little shop in my hubby's store for years.