Bermuda Sod?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by snapper, Jun 15, 2011.

1. snapper

snapper Well-Known Member

Is there anywhere in the area you can puchase bermuda sod w/o having to travel to Raleigh?

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Try DMG Farms in Angier 639-4027 or SodCo in Willow Springs 552-7075 and they have a website: http://www.sodco.com/

3. snapper

Awesome DMG Farms in Angier sells to the pubic $110 for a pallet..

THANKS KELLBELL

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

;)

sure thing.

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

How many sq.ft/yds is a pallet?

6. snapper

She said 450

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

the dude on matthews road has it for 90$/ 500 sq ft. a lot closer than angier!

8. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

DMG charges 110$ for 450 sq/ft - 50 yrds plus the pallet.

9. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

James Barbour on Matthews Road has sod. I just picked up a pallet of Centipede sod for $90.00, and it was 500 sq. ft. Nice quality and it looks good now!

10. snapper

Thanks cynadon/hotwire

Im heading over to matthews rd. yall hit the nail on the head.

cheaper
    closer
    50 more sq ft

WORKS EVEN BETTER!!!!!

11. Buc

Buc Well-Known Member

Where exactly is the place on Matthews Rd? How many days in advance do you have to place your order? I am wanting centipede because I'm tired of dealing with fescue.

12. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I've gotten Bermuda from Barbour within a couple hours. He's just a little ways past Polenta Rd on the left. I think if you do a search you'll find his phone number. I can't find his business card to post the number.

13. bhood7

bhood7 Member

sod

how does centipede do in the heat?
    sandy soil

i have pine trees and they are soaking up all the water that my grass needs

14. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Centipede can tolerate drought in most situations. During an extreme drought it will turn brown on top of the ground while keeping the roots very much alive; and at the time of rain, it will green up. As far as soils, it is best suited to the coastal plain area/sandy soils and warmer temperatures. It will not grow very well much farther north than NC. My house is surrounded by pine trees and it grows fairly well because I still get quite a bit of sun light. It will choke out Bermuda in somewhat shady areas as Bermuda doesn't like shade.

As far as planting, obviously sod is the easiest and seeding takes a while. It is somewhat time consuming to plant because the seed is so small and needs to be covered by about 1/8" of soil and 70+ degree soil temperatures to germinate. It likes somewhat acidic soils with a pH of 5.0 - 5.5. Lime can be used to raise pH, but lots of times it doesn't need it in our area. It is considered the lazy mans grass as it doesn't require much cutting, maintenance or fertilizer. It needs to be mowed anywhere from 1.5-2 inches depending on drought conditions (the higher amount if in a drought). There are two very effective weed killers available for centipede: Atrazine and Confront.

I could go on forever; I researched grasses before choosing centipede and now I am obsessed with reading about it. NCSU has a great program with research and information on centipede.

Good luck!

15. Buc

Buc Well-Known Member

Centipede is fantastic. I had centipede at my previous house and loved it. When we moved to this house we figured we would try fescue but we've had enough. Centipede is great in the heat and does great around trees.

Go with sod and not seed!

16. MARPKR

MARPKR Active Member

SOD

Double J Farms

Mobile: 369-7954
    Barbour
    Work Address:
    1597 Matthews Rd.
    Clayton, N.C 27520

$90.00 a pallet I think they will deliver 8 pallets for $125.00 charge

17. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

centipede = lazy mans grass.

18. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

...and that's bad why?

P.S. I grow weeds -just weeds.

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

well I didn't say that was bad, it was meant to mean once you have it the upkeep is easy, hence lazy mans grass unlike fescue

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Planted it over 10 years ago and had to apologize to the neighbors last year because it started to take over their yard. They just expressed appreciation for it!