Across from Cabelas

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Was on 70 in Garner today and I see they are starting the steel work on another building at White Oak. It looks to be in the front of the Cabelas close to 70. I wonder what that is going to be.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Is that the hotel?

3. silverdevil

silverdevil Active Member

I was thinking it was either Longhorn or Carolina Ale House.

4. mmciver

mmciver Well-Known Member

It's the Ale House. Longhorn will be beside the Ale House. The hotel will be on the corner, but we will not see construction until 2016.

Red Robin is going on the opposite corner. If anyone would like to keep up with the developments of that intersection you can go to http://www.garnerbiz.com/

That is a really good website to keep you updated on new construction in Garner.

5. jesse82nc

This is what I have been able to gather so far -

[​IMG]

Auxie and jlc007 like this.
  6. Rockyv58

Thank you jesse82nc. That is a big help for me to figure out what is going where.

7. Rockyv58

I wonder what else will go in by the Red Robin.

8. jesse82nc

Maps always help me :)

I think they are still working on the leasing for the remainder of that land. It's pretty large.

Also I know they have some big plans for the ~300 acres on the southwest (bottom left) side of that intersection. But I think it will be quite a while before it all happens, if it ever does. And I think the plans have already changed a few times and probably will some more.

9. Rockyv58

I think I had heard they were suppose to put a mall on that bottom left property. But it has been a while since I had heard that.

10. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I keep hearing Belks will be in the area. Several months ago a reliable Garner official advised me my source was accurate.

11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Initially there was a mall planned to coincide with the Timber Dr extension being approved, and built. That all feel through when the economy tanked in 2007/08, and the market for enclosed malls has died nationwide. Try to go on line and look for the last enclosed mall that was built.

12. jesse82nc

I agree, an enclosed mall is very unlikely, although that was the original plan. Including Belk (and maybe the Sears Outlet) moving from up by Lowes/401 to the new mall. However that plan has pretty much completely been put on the back burner now, and will probably never happen.

There has not been a new enclosed mall built in the US in over 10 years, and several that exist today are hurting bad. Blame whoever you want (Amazon? The Internet? The Economy?), but it is what it is.

Now, an expansion to White Oak that looks more like North Hills is not out of the question. A lot of little and big shops mixed together with restaurants all within walking distance with a nice promenade or plaza.

13. markfnc

I looked this up on Wikipedia.

No new malls were built in the USA in 2007-2012. One opened in Sarasota Fl in 2013. I mall nationwide since 2007. Pretty much shows a dead market.

14. markfnc

White Oak was developed around the same time as Brier Creek ( US 70/540) and Beaver Creek (Apex) , I wish it had looked more like those, with street and storefronts rather than your typical parking lot and stores.

MommyMo1011 likes this.
  15. jesse82nc

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...bl-triangle-town-center-raleigh.html?page=all

Stories like this just prove it even more. While the mall is not quite half abandoned like some other malls, it's not exactly thriving either.

Especially down here in the South where we have nicer weather outside more of the year than places up North or in the Deep South where it is crazy hot for months. Many people down here like to spend their time outside.

16. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Don't forget Buffalo Brothers by Target.

17. markfnc

I saw that article. I wonder why Street of South Point is doing well in general compared to Triangle Town Center? At TTC that whole upper floor near Macy's has never been able to keep stores. TTC outside part not doing well either. But Streets of Southpoint does not have many vacancies inside or out. I wonder what demographics are for the 2?

18. markfnc

when is that opening?

19. jesse82nc

I think they just broke ground.

20. Rockyv58

Mall

I know this is going to sound odd, but I was kind of looking forward to a mall. All the other existing malls are a schlep to get to. I remember when I was younger seeing all the 'mall walkers' in the morning. With my added abdominal weight and my Dr telling me that walking is a good exercise. I was thinking a close mall would great place for me to become a 'mall walker' :) Just being old school :lol: