Looking for place that serves non-vinegar based BBQ

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed2adopt2, Jan 1, 2007.

1. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

There is a place in Raleigh right off St. Mary's (I think it's St. Mary's I know how to get there just not street names) that offers all sorts of different styles of BBQ as well as sauce. Can't remember the name of it right now but tassy sure knows the name.

Craig

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I forgot the name of that place, but I do have their menu in my desk at work. Craig is correct, they have good bbq too.. tomato based sauces, as does the Q-Shack up at the North Hills shopping center, its over towards the movie theatre (if you were looking at the front of the theatre its on the right, before the burger place.)

I hadn't even thought of either of those places.... Thanks dear!:)

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Remington grill offers several different styles of BBQ. I haven't tried them, but I LOVE their burgers and chicken!

4. racecitync

racecitync Well-Known Member

Just got back from Stephenson's...wait was less than 5 minutes and the BBQ was pretty dang good. Much better than any other Eastern Style I've had. With some good Lexington Style sauce, it would rival any I've eaten anywhere in NC :lol:

The slaw and hushpuppies were the icing on the cake.

5. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Tangy~

Born and raised in NC here...and really have an aversion to the traditional NC-style pork BBQ. I've always been partial to beef BBQ, and that was tomato-based in my house.

Haven't found anything around here that was really good, except a few chains. CDH is ok & local but pricey for ribs. Stephenson's is pork BBQ I'll actually eat and it's good as pork BBQ goes.

Gotta second the mountains. GREAT BBQ there!

Frogger

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

http://www.bbqandribs.com/

This is the place Craig was talking about, they have a good tomato based sauce that you can put on the bbq. It is cooked over wood and just wonderful!

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

hush, orange slice.. I'm a transplant too ya know! :mrgreen:

8. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

BBQ -

FYI, I'm not a transplant, I'm a half-back (born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, moved to Tampa, FL and lived there for 20 yrs, then DH got transferred here.. . ... and we LOVE your town.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ok, now ya'll need to stop this, might make me want to make the "long" trip to Stephenson's for lunch.:lol:

If you want the tomato based, just take a ride across the border to VA. i grew up there and that is all they had. i could not stand BBQ the whole time growing up until i moved here and i love BBQ here now topped with lots of cole slaw:-D i tried it within weeks of moving here and it was great.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Technically that would be beef brisket. And if you want to get really technical BBQ is how you cook it, not what it is. And here in eastern NC it is actually pulled-pork BBQ, where BBQ describes how the pork was cooked while the pulled parts describes how it prepared for eating.

That being said, if it ain't eastern NC style it ain't real.

Craig

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Now honestly, I haven't tried all of the different Eastern NC barbecues out there...but for me, I still would have to gravitate to Wilbur's BBQ being the best. His barbecue does not have that soaked in vinegar overnight taste. His is cooked over oak wood ( I believe) and there's no comparison. Delightful meaty flavor with just a hint of vinegar. Another place for more meaty flavor is King's BBQ in Kinston. McCall's for me is better for an occasional BBQ sandwich. Its their buffet, seafood and fried chicken that does it for me.

12. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

I agree!!Maybe they should go back up north and get some.

Let's see, New York, New Jersey, just to name a couple.

Tomato based here is grilling out. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

13. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

yep, i say sent them back. :lol:

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

then I guess its buh-bye for my northern butt ... tangy says I have to go.

:-(

15. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

no come back!! i take it back! :lol:

16. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

OK folks, it's time for a little geography lesson. Western NC is NOT in the north, and the only yankees there are the tourists from Florida.:lol: The bbq in western NC is excellent if it's cooked right, just like the bbq in eastern NC. It's just different. Barbecue to a northerner is something you do (involving a grill outside and any kind of meat), not something you eat. If you leave your home county once in awhile, you can discover some pretty cool things about other regions, including the local cooking. Just a suggestion....

Snuff

17. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

What about those RED HOTDOGS? I went into gas station on 210 before I went onto 40, I wanted to get a hotdog, got it and went into my car to open it...I was about to FREAK when I saw it.

Being up from North and it was my first time getting a hotdog in NC(been here for 3 yrs) They must had a good laugh at me when I went to return it...I got my money back.

It just looks gross to me.

Ro

18. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

First time I saw them when I lived in VA, I thought gross too, but now I have grown to like them. Carolina Packers are delish, love their red sausages too, especially on the grill. (or is that bbq? LOL J/K)

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

alright... just cuz you beg so well :)

20. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Generally, if you were born and bred in Johnston County, you're even more fanatical over Bright Leaf hot dogs from Carolina Packers than you are BBQ! No other hot dog wiil do.