If Fred runs for guv,

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

he should resign his current seat. Although, given his history, even if he's elected to the guv's seat, I figure he'll serve half the term and run for Congress or US Senate.

Seriously, the issues that we face demand constant and complete attention, not as mere afterthoughts following a rubber chicken dinner fund raiser.

2. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Think Fred's press conference is this afternoon...then the kickoff tonight at the annual county ReaganDay Dinner.

www.jcreagandaydinner.com

No doubt there will be some local republicans there hoping he'll run for governor so they can get some else in the Senate seat.

3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

what part of his personal life are you talking about?

4. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

Why bash Fred Smith?

So why should Fred Smith resign his NC Senate seat to run for Govenor? We have US Senators running for President and still serving. Will Ms. Perdue resign as Lt. Govenor to run for govenor?
    Fred Smith is a honarable gentleman, businessman and Christian. A very good Sunday School teacher. Fred and Ginny Smith have given a lot to Clayton and Johnston County.
    I really don't understand all the Fred Smith bashing.

5. Fighting Camel Still

Fighting Camel Still Well-Known Member

Not a big mystery at all. He has plenty of money to spend. The Senate seat is drawn up to be a Republican seat, no other Republican is going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for it, and the Democrat Party is going to spend a lot of money to back a challenger to a seat that will hardly get 45% of the vote, even with a strong Democrat candidate.

If he runs for Governor, maybe the GOP can get someone that's not all about the money like Fred.

Rep. J.H. Langdon is who I hear will be running for Fred's state senate seat.

6. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

<grammar_and_spelling_lesson>
    </grammar_and_spelling_lesson>

Good day.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

7. RealityCheck

What is the difference really? My grandfather was a yellow-dog Democrat his whole life and I never heard him say anything but "Democrat" when referring to his registration or the party his belonged to. Maybe its a Southern/Johnston County thing?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I am a Democrat. I am a member of the Democratic party. The adjective has the "ic" ending, the noun does not. Some people think it is amusing to refer to the DemocRAT party. Anyone who is interest in bi-partisan cooperation should be courteous enough to use the other party's preferred form of its name.

9. RealityCheck

You mean there's such a thing as bi-partisan cooperation in this country now? lol

I really hadn't heard that much about Democrat Party or Democratic Party until someone complained about President Bush using Democrat Party in a speech. I think some might get offended too easily, especially like I stated earlier I've heard older people in Johnston County use the phrase, "I'm a member of the Democrat Party" my entire life. Guess its just one more thing to be political correct about now.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  10. KDsGrandma

One can hope! ;)

11. Fighting Camel Still

I did hear the other night that Rep J. H. Langdon (R-Johnston) and Rep. Dan Blue (D-Wake) were sponsoring a bill together. It shocked me so much, now I can't remember what the bill is about!!!!

12. nevilock

for me its not so much about bipartisanship as intelligence. if i were to sit here and talk about the republic party i would feel pretty dumb. it simply doesn't make sense to say the Democrat party, and sounds dumb. if you capitalize the last 3 letters its still just as dumb.

13. KDsGrandma

I think common courtesy enters into it, too. I don't usually refer to the NCPOG (party of greed); the rethugs; the repugnicants; etc. in polite conversation. Also, I'm not quite sure what the difference is between common courtesy and political correctness.

14. RealityCheck

And if you came off you're tower of arrogance long enough and talked to the people that have lived in Johnston County their whole lives (those over 50) you just might find that they referred to themselves as belonging to the Democrat Party. Saying "y'all" might not be correct, but it is part of the culture.

If that's the worse thing you have to complain about, you're really having a great day.

15. nevilock

Actually this has been a pretty good day. it started out good, i had a good nights sleep, a good BM and right now the only thorn in my side is that people say democrat party instead of democratic party. NOW STOP IT =( please? my side doesnt need any thorns, its a very good day.

16. RealityCheck

Well, since you said "Please". But I'm still saying "y'all" when I'm addressing two or more people!!

17. Fighting Camel Still

Think it comes down mainly to two things Grace:
    1) Johnston County in the last 10-20 years has become a Republican county. A Democrat stands very little chance with the voting public in this county, as long as the Republicans offer up a well-financed candidate.

2) Most voters, Democrat, Republican, or Unaffiliated, are not as inform about the candidates as you seem to be. Most voters don't care and have no idea how much influence a state legislator or county commissioner has over their life. They think as long as the know who the President is, and go vote at an election that they've done enough. State Senators don't have to know much about the job, especially when they're in the minority party in the General Assembly, because most voters know even less.

The real blessing that I see, is that possibly the GOP will put up a candidate that is better in Fred's place for the State Senate...plus after Fred fails miserably running for governor, maybe he won't be on the political scene.

Of course I could be wrong, but its just my opinion.

18. stonecold

stonecold Guest

Fred Needs to answer one question

If Fred Smith wants my vote, he needs to answer 1 question. Will he have the political will and backbone to get the state budget in order? This includes, cutting spending, a constitutional amendment to bar the funds in the highway trust fund from being used as a slush fund, a top down review of te budget to eliminate duplication and waste. If he is not willing to do so, he is NOT a conservative

19. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Republican or Democrat?

All this politics reminds me of a joke I received this week:

"A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her
    altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him; an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."
    The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're in a hot air
    balloon, approximately 30 feet above a ground elevation of 2,346 feet
    above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude."
    She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be a Republican."
    "I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"
    "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically
    correct, but I have no idea what to do with your information, and I'm
    still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me."
    The man smiled and; responded, "You must be a Democrat."
    "I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?"
    "Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you're
    going. You've risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You
    made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, and now it's my fault."

20. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Oh, geez, PLEASE tell me Fred's not running. If he becomes governor I'm leaving the state.

:evil:
    Frogger