Hotwire...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ihaveaquestion, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Well-Known Member

Has anybody here ever used them for anything like plane tickets or rental cars?
    Any info good or bad would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hugh travels on a business a lot. PM him to see what his thoughts are.

Good luck,
    Sherry

3. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

We use them all the time, mostly for hotels. Whatcha need to know?

4. ihaveaquestion

Just basically how it works...have you ever had any bad experiences with it?
    Any weird charges made to your card?....
    I have never used a company like this and don't know anybody personally that has used them.

Maybe just being overly paranoid, but their prices are much better than going straight through a company.

Have you ever had any booking problems after arriving to hotels??...

5. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

We travel several times a year, and we have had only one bad experience and it was because we chose a hotel in a bad area of the city we were in without knowing it. Our fault, not Hotwire's actually. You don't see the hotel name or specific address until after you purchase and there are no cancellations, so if you are really paranoid maybe it is not for you. We just never choose anything less than 3 star and its been fine. (understanding that 3 star is NOT stellar but normally acceptable)

As a great example, we ended up at the Intercontinental in Buckhead (Atlanta) for under $100 per night, and it was fantastic! If you do flight and hotel together you do get to choose the hotel but the deal isn't quite as good.

Never had any strange credit card problems and I am totally paranoid about that, too.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe some others will have input.

6. ihaveaquestion

thanks!
    that did help a little.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Never heard of them. I only use Orbitz, typically I find the cheapest air fare and if my trip is all on one airline I will book directly from the airline or hotel.

Had bad experiences with some of these programs in the past in that I could not get a receipt from the hotel and I get the "You need to talk to ________ in that we sold the room to them."

Regarding the "Place a bid" sites, I haven't got time to screw with them.