Internet service

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Mark W., Jan 14, 2009.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Active Member

I was wondering who you use for internet service. I have been using AT&T because they bought out Bellsouth and I was switched over but I am fed up with AT&T and their internet service which they keep changing every six months and screwing it up worse everytime.I would rather not have anything to do with TimeWarner either so what are the choices out there for other ISP's?

2. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

I have both RoadRunner, and Embarq DSL. I am happy with both, though not so happy with TimeWarner TV service, but that another story. No major problems with either service. I have the standard service with RoadRunner, and the 3Mbps service with Embarq, which I am about to upgrade to the 10 Mbps service next week. I don't use either for email I know serveral people have had problems in the past with Embarq email. When I call Embarq they are always helpful, and talk to a person right away. Most times when I have to call RoadRunner, I just hang up either because the wait to long and most times the problem fixes itself the next day. One of the cool things I having 2 providers never without service. My speeds are listed below. Mostly get the max from Embarq that I pay for and RoadRunner is a bit slower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  3. bettyboop

bettyboop Guest

I had bellsouth. Never had problems until AT&T took over. Now it is nothing but problems. I cancelled my home phone and just have DSL. For the last 3 months, I have been charged a long distance services on my bill. I have called them each month to complain and get it taken off my bill. I am only paying the part of the bill for the DSL. And, of course, the 3 months of long distance are still there. They send me a letter telling me they are going to turn off my service for non payment. IF the charges are not off when I get my next bill, they can have it all! I am just about to the end of my rope with them.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Active Member

I hear you BettyBoop.

AT&T is a sorry company and don't give a crap about their customers.I could get TimeWarner but their abouth the same as AT&T with customer service.Embarq is not available at my address according to their website so I don't know what other options are out there.

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I have TWC and I'm satisfied with my service. If you want to look into something different, you might check out Dockpoint wireless service. I used them for a while, but had a lot of intermittency problems with them. They came out a few times and made some adjustments and it would be OK for a while, then problems again.

6. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

STAY AWAY from Dockpoint. To put it nicely, that's the crappiest company around and I have no idea how they're still in business. It's just a matter of time I'm sure. I used to have TW and had zero problems with it. Good prices for the speed IMO. I currently have Embarq as TW is not available in my area. I've had a few issues here and there, but nothing major. I just don't have the speeds I used to have with TW and they require me to have a phone line...which I don't use.

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

We use Embarq - haven't had any problems.

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

TWC Road Runner works fine for us.

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We use Embarq and had lots of problems with service dropping. I called them and they told me to install the filters that came with the modem on each phone line and once I did that we have had smooth sailing.

10. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

We've been using Embarq for a while. We had some issues initally, but a new modem fixed that. Other than that, only once in while do we have a problem with the server being down. Overall, I'm pleased with the service.

Mike

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Have TWC here at home and work. I'm patiently waiting for the "test" service of Verizon FIOS to spread from Durham to us here in Johnston Co.

Craig

12. Steeler_Fan

I might move to Durham to get FIOS, but from what I have heard no time soon, and I was looking at cities listed on Verizon site a few weeks back and it not listed on the install plan anytime soon. :cry:

Oh and for those of you that don't know. Embarq and CenturyTel will be Merging

www.marketwatch.com/news/story/c···od_mktwN

13. Mark W.

Mark W. Active Member

What is Verizon FIOS?

Can you elaborate?

14. Steeler_Fan

15. blumedenley

blumedenley Well-Known Member

I have RoadRunner. They have 7mg. If you go to Wal-Mart in Garner on Sat. From 1-8 the TWC rep will be there. She gave us a $75 dollar wal-mart gift card which will be activated within 30 days. And you can cancel anytime. The price is now.
    Roadrunner New sub $34.95 12 months

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually there is a Verizon FIOS test market in Durham. Though honestly I think TWC has too much of a strangle hold on the area to allow a larger FIOS growth in this area.

Craig

17. Steeler_Fan

That is cool to hear, maybe though it would force TWC to increase the speed.

18. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

We've had TW Roadrunner for years. Never had a problem I couldn't figure out myself. After getting Vonage I realized you can't rely on anyone's customer service. They all suck. Once I figured that out I haven't had any problems with either.

19. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

For those of you w/ Embarq DSL, what are the extra fees/taxes? Is it just sales tax, or are there other fees? I am trying to decide if I want to bundle or just add on the DSL. The phone in the bundle has all the extras that I don't currently have or really want (call waiting, caller ID, etc). The lady at the Embarq store gave me the total price for the bundle (62.90 for phone and 1.5M DSL), but I forgot to ask her what the total price was for just the DSL.

Thanks!

20. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

I think DSL alone is $49? I know my total bill with a basic line with no extras and DSL is about $70/mth.