What was your first car?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better, my first was a slushbox (automatic). My first stickshift was a 95 SVT Cobra. In a car like that, a manual transmission is the only way to go.

Now that 95 nearly got me in trouble a few times. I raced a guy in a Firebird Formula out on the highway one day. I swear I thought we had run up to about 80, until I realized I had gone through four gears. I looked down and I had maxed out the speedo!!"*

*This story may or may not be true for the sake of avoiding incrimination. :jester:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

1978 280z

My dad bought it in Lizard lick (harley, you probably know where I am speaking of!!) It was the town hall, garage and a used car lot!! I blew the radiator up on the way home because the gas pedal got stuck at a stop light and I did not let off the break!! Better luck hopefully with my child's first car in another 9 years!! OUCH!

After that I had 1983 280zx
    hynduai
    prelude
    convertible camaro rs
    Honda Accord....

Hopefully next I will have a Honda Pilot!!

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Yeah, and a great big dent in your wallet. I know, 'cause I've got one too. Heavy foot means more frequent gas stops but it sure does sound good when you get on it! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Amen to that! We hardly ever drive it though. It's an 04 and only has 29,500 miles on it. We had a lifter get stuck at about 15,000 (thank the good Lord that was under warranty!), probably because it sits too much. :?

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Mine is just the opposite. Its a 03 and its got 120,000 miles. With the Hemi and low miles, you probably have a good trade in value on yours.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's paid for and although DH wants a diesel now for towing, it is going nowhere, LOL. :lol: I like not having the payment on that sucker anymore!

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

My first car was a 86 silver Mustang LX. That thing was pretty but spent more time on the back of a tow truck than anything! Let's see...after that I had a Corsica - great car! My next and fave was my Camaro...then a Grand Am...88 Firebird (that's our toy)...a Dodge Magnum...then a Pacifica. DH has had LOTS of cars compared to me!!

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Car i learned to drive in 1972 Dodge Dart, and 1973 Buick Estate Wagon.
    My 1st car of my own 1979 AMC Concorde (bought for me by mom and dad)
    1st car i bought myself - 1985 Plymouth Turismo Duster.

9. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

My first 'car' was a '73 Yamaha RD 350, comp yellow with expansion chambers...cars were somewhat out of my price range back then!

The wife's first was a '70 Nova, 6 cyl. four door, but it real looked cool from the front doors forward. We used to bump hot rodders at stop lights just to watch them explode in a cloud of tire smoke...and then realize they'd been had! When it got cold she had to pop the hood and jam a screwdriver in the choke to get in goin'.

God, I R E A L L Y don't miss that!

10. HomeGirl

HomeGirl Well-Known Member

I started kindergarten at age 4 (because of I made the birth date cut-off), so most of my friends were getting their 1st car a year ahead of me....and most of them were really nice cars I would love to own....but with older brothers who already had to buy their own cars (Javelin and Fiat), I knew I better get busy saving!

So to answer the thread question... My first car was...
    one that I bought myself for 800 hard earned dollars!

It was "my dream car"...with no bumper, ugly orange paint (looked like Garfield the cat) and some engine parts held together with guitar strings and coat hangers. Oh how I miss the 1972 MG Midget convertible (with plastic taped top) affectionately known as my "Gar Car"!

(Thank goodness I wasn't driving in our 40/42 traffic back then...whew!):mrgreen:

11. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

My DH had one of those, and also a Pacer, and he had a Chevette when I married him. OMG what nerd cars! He has since redeemed himself!

My first car was a 1966 red Rambler 4 door. It was ancient, had been rolled, the seats were torn up and you could watch the road fly by through the rusted out floorboard in the backseat. My dad got it for $500. Got my one and only warning in that car when I was 16. I was so scared I cried and the cop didn't give me a ticket! Great memories!

12. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I wish I could get away with that- it's a little weird when a guy does it, tho...

13. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hey, Gomer. How's your other half? I was gonna call her tonight but lost track of time. We talked about hitting a christmas fair of some sort soon!

14. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My first car was an Oldsmobile Starfire GT in red!

15. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

A 19?? red Maverick,wish I still had it!

16. rjfields

rjfields Well-Known Member

The first car I had was a 1982 poop brown T-bird that my dad gave me. HATE Fords today because of that car.

17. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

1983 Silver Honda Prelude with sunroof and a jamming stereo system!:lol:

18. 1986? Toyota Corolla that I decorated with cow print seat covers. :lol:

19. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

1989 Ford Festiva

20. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

A 1977 Plymouth Volare. Carolina Blue. A previously state owned car, no radio and blue vinyl seats. $5 gas and you could drive for days.