Johnny we hardly knew ye...part 2

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Jan 21, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

For me, it's just proves even more what a low-life he was/is. His wife has a terminal illness and all he apparently cares/cared about is getting his jollies with some young thing. I'm sure Elizabeth Edwards is no saint. But good grief. If ever there is a time to behave with some decorum, that would be it.

2. not to smart

not to smart Guest

Hence the name you morons....you really that slow, do I need to break it down for you even more as to why its "not to smart" and to is spelled wrong.
    short bus is coming

3. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Moron??? Sorry honey but the ONLY moron I seen on this page is YOU! So, the bus already dropped you off and it's coming back in the morning???? NICE!!

Make sure you wear your helmet!

4. not to smart

not to smart Guest

Don't placate me with your honey dung you fool, your pretty good if you saw me on this page. NOT
    take your pre-school initiative and move on

5. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

You're dumber than a flea on a ticks *ss ....

6. not to smart

not to smart Guest

hey thats pretty dumb

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Never wrestle in the mud with a pig. You get dirty and the pig likes it.
    jus' sayin'

8. freedman68

freedman68 Guest

This is a sour subject for me. I have a good friend and she and her husband used to hang out with John and Elizabeth a long time ago. Before he was ever a "famous politician" he wa dipping the wick with many, many ladies. Scum, scum, scum. He probably has several STDs because we know he don't use protection!!!!

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Yeah OK, put the big guy out of business because he was greedy anyway.
    He got rich sucking money from the company that made the pool pump cover when that little girl was so badly injured. Hopefully the girl and her family got some of that money, but he made millions and got a presidential run out of it. It's the American Dream, have an accident, blame someone else, get a lawyer and take everything they have.

10. Hatteras6

Could the pool company not have designed the pump so the accident wouldn't have happened? No doubt. And, no doubt it would have cost a little more to do the engineering and construction. So, in choosing to proceed the way they did, they made an economic wager. For a long time, they won. Until the jury said they were negligent.

And if tort law was overturned, what's to keep dishonest companies from profiting over a person's misery?

The recent fire at Con Agra is a prime example. 3 people died. Numerous were injured. Their families continue to pay the price over someone's negligence. Is it your position that the families should be told that they deserve nothing? Con Gara will follow the existing corporate model, apoligze for nothing, stall on benefits, even close the plant, or sell the company, do almost anything to avoid paying for their negligence. Some file for bankruptcy before they get nailed, just to avoid paying.

And the fine by NC is laughable. Reducing it by 20% boggles the mind even further.

So, the company stalls, NC gives a miniscule fine, and the families are left to do what?

11. johnstoncogirl

johnstoncogirl Well-Known Member

For anyone interested in a behind the scenes account of Edwards' behavior during the campaign, especially re the affair, this one is pretty interesting. Actually it is a bit shocking, even knowing all the stuff we have already seen in the Enquirer, etc.

Re the trial lawyer issue...I agree that people need to have the power to make rich companies and individuals pay for wrongs committed through the judicial system, but I have not heard anyone say they think tort law should be overturned, just reformed. There are many ways that could be done and some of them make a lot of sense.

I think a good point was made about how much of that money the family of the injured girl got, compared to how much the lawyers got. I know that the lawyers are entitled to a third plus expenses for most of these cases (depending on their agreement with the client) but that doesn't mean they have to take that much. In some cases these firms could easily reduce their fees to allow the injured parties to keep more of the money and still walk away with the equivalent of many hundreds of dollars per hour of work they put into the case. The trial lawyer lobby is another "big" power group with extensive political connections, so I doubt much change will be made to the current system.

12. Hatteras6

And negotiating the fees is done before the case is begun. Most PI attorneys will tell you that their fee is 33% of any recovery, less court costs, if they don;t have to go to trial. The rate goes to 50% at trial.

Are there attorneys who ask for more? yes. Are there attorneys who will accept less? Yes, again. As for choosing an attorney, it seems that any attorney who is licensed to practice can take the case. What about the outcome? If I choose my nerdy nephew who graduated last in his class, and is unable to get a parking ticket paid on time, then I probably shouldn't have an expectation that his expertise is going to work on my behalf. If I hire a bigger name and more experience, I do believe that I have a better expectation (although not always realized) of outcomes.

Of course, hiring the best is going to cost more, whether it's an attorney, a CPA, a golf instructor, a hair stylist, a gardener, or a bricklayer.

I do know of some cases where the attorney did the PI work pro bono. Yet, he still had some overhead costs.

I don't argue that the trial attorneys are a well funded lobbying organization. I expect that they do for their clients, what the UAW, PHRMA, NRA, ACLU, and every other lobbying group is trying to do.

Could things be done better? Surely.

My point is that it's easy to blame trial lawyers for a lot, whereas I believe that if manufacturers of consumer products, swimming pool pumps, cigarettes, unsafe cars, baby strollers, etc do so without proper safeguards ...anything where the decision is made that it's less expensive to litigate (if litigation occurs at all) than spend the extra time and other resource to get it right..those corporations and products should be called to account for those decisions.

13. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Ah, but it's a % plus expenses and then, if you don't question the expenses, you will find they just "had" to stay at a $300/night hotel, eat at 4-star restaurants, etc. and expect you to pay for this. I know from what one did to a family member. She had the smarts to find hotels recommended by AAA and refused to pay more than their rate per night. If she had allowed the expenses as written, she would have received less than half of what she did receive in the settlement.

14. Hatteras6

I agree that she was smart to do so. I've often heard an old saying, "a fool and his money are soon parted."

15. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Here's the latest from WRAL.
    http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/6891775/

...John Edwards and his wife of more than 30 years, Elizabeth, have separated...

Young provides an unflattering portrait of Edwards, talking about his obsession with campaign donations, his fixation with his hair, his disapproval of "fat rednecks" at state fairs and the lengths he went to to hide the affair, including trying to get Young to persuade Hunter to have an abortion.

Young has said in excerpts of an ABC News interview that Edwards asked him to find a doctor to fake a paternity test and to steal a diaper from the baby to secretly do a DNA test.

The book describes Young's discovery of a videotape showing Edwards and a naked Hunter.

Hat, our nation is heading down a path where more and more people think morality is some sacred individual choice ...that we can all make up our own morals. That is confusing liberty with anarchy. Liberals wrote the book. How many times did we hear the Lewinsky scandal was a private matter for the Clinton family and had absolutely nothing to do with Bill's job as president. As long as people continue to think this way, this is the kind of leadership we will have. John Edwards bought himself a senate seat. The fact that he only wanted the seat as a launching pad for a presidential bid, and never really intended to work for the people of North Carolina, was as plain as the nose on your face. Why then, would anyone want him for president? The people of Charlotte re-elected Jim Black even after it was obvious that he was a crook. Now he's in prison. Democratic NY Governor Elliot Spitzer resigned after his scandal with a prostitute. Democratic NJ governor Jim McGreevey resigned after a homosexual extramarital affair. Ted Kennedy escaped scrutiny his entire life because of his family. If voters are this blind, god help us all.

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

17. Hatteras6

Granting your point about society, I wonder why you seemed to have forgotten to list such other luminaries as Mark Sanford..David Vitter..Larry Craig...Strom Thurmond...John McCain...?
    This isn't unique to one party.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Or my favorite, Newt!